Craig Dawson

On trail from Radcliffe.

More info in the article from the Bolton Evening News.

RADCLIFFE Borough defender Craig Dawson is spending pre-season training with League One side Oldham Athletic - and the man who recommended him to Boundary Park is backing the teenager to grab the opportunity with both hands.

David Eyres, who made more than 600 Football League appearances in a distinguished career with Blackpool, Burnley, Preston and Oldham, was alerted to Dawson's obvious ability during Boro's Manchester Cup final defeat of Hyde United at Boundary Park in April, and used his links with the Latics to get Dawson his big chance. And Eyres is excited about the potential of a player who attracted scouts from Tottenham, Liverpool, Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers to Stainton Park last season.

"The lad has got lots of ability and has all the assets to be a good player," said Eyres, who works for sports consultancy firm Stellar Group as a talent spotter.

advertisement

"My job is to find the best young players outside the Premier League and I think I have found a player in Craig who is capable of making a living from the game.

"He has a great chance of making it, but it is up to him now. I spent six years at Oldham and I have told Craig that it is a fantastic club where he will be given opportunities if he impresses."

If Dawson was to sign for Oldham, Eyres reckons it will pave the way for future link-ups between Boro and the League One side.

"If it works and he does sign for Oldham, there are lots of things that can come from it," said Eyres. "There might be pre-season friendlies arranged and Boro might also be able to loan a few young players from Oldham. Both clubs can help each other."

Boro director of football Gerry Luczka agrees with Eyres and reckons his young charge is destined for the pro ranks just a couple of years after being released by Bury.

"It's great news for Craig and he deserves the opportunity for the way he played last season," said Luczka. "We had Premier League scouts down at the club last season and I can only think that was to look at Craig."

Googled him and there were a few match reports on Radcliffe games. He's a centre back.

Another young hungry player - if he impresses.

I think the left footed option is going to arrive at BP by a loan signing.

Ex Bury youngster Craig Dawson is a good prospect and if he works hard there is no reason why he can't make the grade.

It is good to see Latics looking at non league, which is something many on this excellent website have recommended.

Edited by BP1960

Wow ... cannot beleive this but he comes from the same amateur club as me, Blacky comes down watching quite alot to. Hes only a year younger and ive played with him quite afew times. Hes a very, very good player. Played in midfield afew times aswell as RightBack and centre back to. Hes a strong lad aswell, built well. Im confident if we sign him then he can definitely step up, really is a good player.

Edited by kellys_discopants