Ernies tribute first game of the season.

razza699

Applause or Silence?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. At the Game vs Milwall should we have

• A minutes Clapping
    • A minutes Silence

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think a minuit silence at home to millwall as i think that shows respect and gives time to reflect

then a minuits applause at dale and blow the roof off spotland realy rousing roar of only one ernie cooksey

If it was up to me, I would have a minute's silence before the Millwall game, as this is a tragedy.

But I would then have Rochdale vs Latics be Ernie Cooksey Day, and have a minute's applause before that game.

think a minuit silence at home to millwall as i think that shows respect and gives time to reflect

I voted for minutes silence myself. I'm not keen on the applause's that we have now. It was a good idea as a one-off, like when George Best passed away (when it started I believe) but I think minute's silences have a poignant air about them and allow everyone to really reflect about it in peace.

But it seems minutes applause is clearly preferred by the majority, which is fine.

I think it all depends on the occaision. September 11th for example. I could hardly imagine if something similar happened again that there would be a minutes applause.

I do completely understand your reasoning Jamie, but I'd vote for applause. Ernie was a great character who you could always tell loved it when the "ERNIE" chant went up.

Ernie always said he didnt want sympathy. He wanted people to remain upbeat, so I think applause would be fitting.

Has to be applause. That's what he was given so few weeks ago and he loved it. Please God that Franny doesn't ruin the day by gaffs. I was squirming at times with his comments at Ernie's fundraising event.

Edited by Alec1954

Despite the result of the poll for goal celebration music, I think the first goal scored at BP this season should be celebrated with a blast of Benny Hill's 'Ernie' ( As played whenever Ernie scored or came on as a sub) and dedicated to this great man's memory.

then a minuits applause at dale and blow the roof off spotland realy rousing roar of only one ernie cooksey

That covers all the bases, spot on.

I much prefer a minute's silence but unfortunately, I feel that the circumstances of it being Millwall (who will probably bring a fair few for the 1st game of the season) and the fact that Lee Hughes is likely to be on the pitch, mean that we should probably go for the applause.

I'd hate to think of the silence being ruined by a minority of idiots.

I much prefer a minute's silence but unfortunately, I feel that the circumstances of it being Millwall (who will probably bring a fair few for the 1st game of the season) and the fact that Lee Hughes is likely to be on the pitch, mean that we should probably go for the applause.

I'd hate to think of the silence being ruined by a minority of idiots.

Millwall will respect it 100%. They aren't my favourites by a long stretch but I don't think they would do that.

someone posted about the millwall game as the 'silent' one, but the dale game as the 'non silent' game...

the clapping is a bit...err well, not quite right!(i mean it sounds a bit naff after 20 seconds or so!) so why not the two sets of fans get to together and do an orchestrated chanting of 'only one ernie cooksey' etc etc

any media boffins find any games on LW that he played in? if the club let ya, i'll happily put a few bob to a chosen pot for a copy of the dvd...

any media boffins find any games on LW that he played in? if the club let ya, i'll happily put a few bob to a chosen pot for a copy of the dvd...

Trying to think of games he scored in off the top of my head...QPR at home and Grimsby away are the only two I can think of. Were there more?