Ernies tribute first game of the season.

razza699

Applause or Silence?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. At the Game vs Milwall should we have

• A minutes Clapping
    • A minutes Silence

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think it al depends on personal choice

silence=mourn a loss

applause=commemorate a life

allow people to show it there own way if people feel they would rathe stay silent then please do,i personally would rather commemorate a legends life and all he did so i would go for clapping with chants of ernie for england as that seemed to put the biggest smile on his face at the fundraiser,

millwall will respect it the majority of their fans are decent

I'm sure I remember seeing some pics of Ernie somewhere wearing a millwall kit as a youngster and also celebrating after their FA cup semi final win with his mates (may have been on facebook). I have no doubt the millwall fans will be completely respectful whatever tribute is decided on.

Im not for applause in tragic circumstances, all for it when someone has lead a good long life, and past away when time is fitting, but this is tragic circumstances, and im sure the moment will bring a tear or two down many peoples faces on the 9th.

whether we applaud or not, chants of ernie will ring out all game anyway, so i vote for silence.

However, as Mark says, It will be down to the family more than likely.

What do we think guys/girls?

Dont know if this will have any bearing at the club but thought id run it anyway

Ryan

At the risk of getting dog's abuse and without wishing to offend anybody is it right to have an internet 'public vote' on something like this?

Isn't it time to back off a bit and let the family be in control as much as they can be?

At the risk of getting dog's abuse and without wishing to offend anybody is it right to have an internet 'public vote' on something like this?

Isn't it time to back off a bit and let the family be in control as much as they can be?

Totally agree mate.

I wasn't have a go at you mate, I just think we need to remember that there is a grieving family involved and we should take into account their wishes too.

fair doos. I did say that this poll will have nothing to do with the final decision, it was just too see what the fans views were

i think a minutes SILENCE is always more poignant and personal!! we can always cheer his name for the rest of the match!!

there's no way that the silence would be broke by anybody at the dale match - and i don't even think millwall would spoil

it either!

SILENCE any day for me!!

god bless you ERNIE!!!!

At the 2006 Grand Final, Hull FC ran out wearing training tops with PRESCOTT and the number 1. Steve Prescott had recently been diagnosed with cancer, and since he was full back for Hull - they thought it would be a great idea to wear these tops. Saints didn't, which was strange - he played for us too. Anyway, might be a great idea for the League Cup - Cooksey 4 training tops?

Oddly enough I think it’s quite right that the fans decide how to show our appreciation. His girlfriend will probably have more to be getting on with than travelling up to Oldham to watch us play Millwall, it’s really a football thing how we show our respects as that’s how we (most of us anyway) knew him. The family will remember him by their own things, rather than through us clapping or applauding.

I voted for minutes silence myself. I'm not keen on the applause's that we have now. It was a good idea as a one-off, like when George Best passed away (when it started I believe) but I think minute's silences have a poignant air about them and allow everyone to really reflect about it in peace.

But it seems minutes applause is clearly preferred by the majority, which is fine.

Am with you there J.

Minutes silence all the way.

KtF,

Derek.

For those with doubts that Millwall wouldnt respect it. Here's a pic of Ernie from when he was plying his trade at youth team level. Notice the kit.

Ernie.jpg

lovely lovely picture that one.

remember when i first went to his dads house in london, his dad has loads of pics of him as a kid at colchester and with all his youth teams. remember thinking it was funny to see his full head of blond hair. his dad was so proud of him.

ern was a big millwall fan too, so its really poignant that our first game is against them. he was spending a day a week at millwall coaching the kids there before he fell ill.

remember when i first went to his dads house in london, his dad has loads of pics of him as a kid at colchester and with all his youth teams. remember thinking it was funny to see his full head of blond hair. his dad was so proud of him.

ern was a big millwall fan too, so its really poignant that our first game is against them. he was spending a day a week at millwall coaching the kids there before he fell ill.

I was thinking that if we do a charity collection that day we should ask the Millwall lads to sort it from their end also. I never doubted they would respect the silence anyway, it's just not their sort of badness, but if they are totally on board with it it will be all the more special.

Personally i would like to see a A minutes Silence (lay a tribute in the pitch with the name Ernie) followed by a mintues clapping allows people to bow there heads and grieve then follow it up with the LOUDEST APPLAUSE EVER AT BP FOR THE great person Ernie was.

I would also prefere in all honestly to do it at the Rochdale games both teams United in grief but sticking together to appreciate how much he meant to both clubs.

I was thinking that if we do a charity collection that day we should ask the Millwall lads to sort it from their end also. I never doubted they would respect the silence anyway, it's just not their sort of badness, but if they are totally on board with it it will be all the more special.

Millwall Independant Fans' Message Board:

http://www.independentmillwall.com/phpBB2/...f=1&t=82942

Martin (frankbunnschin),

I am Louises brother and was thinking about driving down from Middlesbrough to attend the audience with Andy Ritchie in Oldham tomorrow. I will give Carl Spiers a ring and book some tickets. I met you at the Boundary Park game on May 11th and after the match we all went to the Copper pot Indian restuarant in Rochdale, the owner was the lovely bloke who reffed the second half of the match.

Ernie was a special person, who loved life and adored my sister. He fought and fought with true Cooksey grit to the end and he passed away without any pain. Ernie always spoke with high regard about his times with Oldham and Rochdale and I have spent hours on the net reading all the messages and tributes from all the messageboards and news articles that Google will allow me. The man upstairs truely has a great person with him.

May see some of you guys tomorrow.

Thanks,

Darren.