A name for the RRE bar

I was thinking about how we as a club might make a permanent tribute to the legend that is Ernie Cooksey.

And then I had an inspiration. :idea:

We've got a new bar in the Rochdale Road End that needs a name.

So how about Ernie's ??

I've emailed Alan and Bob Gorrill, but would like some honest opinions from the good folk of OWTB.

Great? Crass? Tasteless? :mmm:

Any other ideas?

I will be honoured to gurn my way through a stale lukewarm bottle of Carlsberg in Ernie's Bar. Long term though it it's in the RRE it would become the away fans' bar, which doesn't seem quite right?

It can be moved when the fans move to the other stands I am sure.

I will be honoured to gurn my way through a stale lukewarm bottle of Carlsberg in Ernie's Bar. Long term though it it's in the RRE it would become the away fans' bar, which doesn't seem quite right?

That thought did cross my mind. We could always move the name to the bar in the new Chaddy End when that gets built?

It does seem somehow appropriate that as such a big fans' favourite he should be remembered at a home 'end' rather than, for example, the new main stand.

Good idea in terms of a permanent tribute, but I'd prefer such a named bar/lounge in the new main stand/chaddy (granted it will be a while off yet). Alongside others such as the return of the Royle bar etc etc. With photo's etc it would be a fitting tribute

Probably a more fitting location than a bar that may revert to the 'away' end at some point in the future.

But certainly a great idea to have a permanent tribute - lounge/bar, player of the year trophy something along those lines

Given that the new main stand is the best part of two years away (minimum), I'd prefer to make it something more immediate - hence the RRE suggestion. As suggested, the name could move to the 'new' home end bar if/when the RRE reverts to away fans.

player of the year trophy

Now that's a thought. How's about the Ernie Cooksey Trophy for Fans' Player of the Season?

Dare I introduce this to the forum?.....but recently Chris Ogden's dad died who played for a long time at Latics.. not further back Eric Gemmell died...a big player for this club. Bobby Johnstone has also died recently. No doubt there are many other tragic stories. How do we recognise their input? Then there are the long term supporters? If we recognise one why not the others? This could get very tricky.

Dare I introduce this to the forum?.....but recently Chris Ogden's dad died who played for a long time at Latics.. not further back Eric Gemmell died...a big player for this club. Bobby Johnstone has also died recently. No doubt there are many other tragic stories. How do we recognise their input? Then there are the long term supporters? If we recognise one why not the others? This could get very tricky.

Alec, it's a fair point.

In the immediate aftermath of Ernie's sad death we're bound to be keen on an emotional tribute, and all those others tend to be forgotten for a short time.

This is partly why I wanted to open it up. And perhaps why we should stick to coming up with ideas for now, then actually make any kind of permanent decision in a few weeks when we're a bit less emotional.

That said, trying to be objective, Ernie's death does seem so much more tragic given his age, a soon to be born child, and his (all be it relatively brief) hero status as a player.

very true and was certainly the same thought in my mind. A suggestion could be to have a 'legends' type where all could be honoured.

On a day like today such things are for another time though.

With all due respect to Johnstone, Gemmell, Groves and just about all the other Latics legends who have sadly passed away, most of these were held in affection because of what they achieved in the game with Latics.

With Ernie, he epitomised what it means to be a cult hero. He didn't have the talent that most others had, he didn't break records or win us the league (albeit he helped keep us up/going). He's fond in all our hearts for giving his all for the cause, even though he was possibly 1 or 2 leagues out of his natural depth, and creating such a buzz on the terraces. In my 20+ years of following Latics week-in and week-out, I don't think anyone comes close to that.

This is what sets Ernie aside from others IMO.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Bravest and possibly wisest post on this thread. I'm sure some people were as effected by other legends who have passed away.

Perhaps a legends bar to honour hero's/legends both living and dead in one of the new stand or all of the stands?

Or some sort of hall of fame (bar)? Ernie could be the first name in there followed by your Johnstones, Ritchies Palmers etc?

It’s a fair point. For me the real difference is Ernie’s age. All things being equal it’s easier to accept someone’s death when you can reflect that at least they got to lead a full life, whereas the circumstances Ernie left behind are just awful. Add to that the way that Ernie was really taken to our hearts and I think you can make a case for something special being done for him. I don’t think honouring long serving fans the way we do players would work for the reasons you yourself set out, why does someone’s dad, uncle etc qualify but not another? We all “know” the players whereas there are no fans who are known by everyone at the club.

With all due respect to Johnstone, Gemmell, Groves and just about all the other Latics legends who have sadly passed away, most of these were held in affection because of what they achieved in the game with Latics.

With Ernie, he epitomised what it means to be a cult hero. He didn't have the talent that most others had, he didn't break records or win us the league (albeit he helped keep us up/going). He's fond in all our hearts for giving his all for the cause, even though he was possibly 1 or 2 leagues out of his natural depth, and creating such a buzz on the terraces. In my 20+ years of following Latics week-in and week-out, I don't think anyone comes close to that.

This is what sets Ernie aside from others IMO.

Well said - Ernie's place etched in the fans' collective memory is unique.

It's difficult isn't it. You don't want to appear disrespectful to all the others who have died, but it simply IS different when he's so young. We had a sad loss at Hartlepool this season. I was on the M42 on my way down to the match at Swansea when I got the call from a mate to tell me that the game was off because one of our squad players, 20-year-old Michael Maidens, had been killed in a car crash the night before. It's obviously not the same situation because Maidens had not built up the affection with us that Ernie Cooksey so clearly had with you; he never got the chance. But there were some emotional scenes; the scarves and flowers piled up at the ground, an incredibly poignant speech read by the PA announcer at the next home game.

There were lots of discussions over how Michael should be remembered fittingly and tastefully. It was finally decided that the Goal of the Season Trophy should be named in his honour. In his short career he had scored just once, but his stunning 30 yard effort against Huddersfield was voted the best of 2005/06. Joel Porter became the first receipient at the awards night last month and it was presented by Michael's parents, who found it difficult to put their feelings into words.

Whether it's a trophy or a bar or part of the ground, I'm sure you'll all do the right thing by Ernie's memory.

Best wishes

It's difficult isn't it. You don't want to appear disrespectful to all the others who have died, but it simply IS different when he's so young. We had a sad loss at Hartlepool this season. I was on the M42 on my way down to the match at Swansea when I got the call from a mate to tell me that the game was off because one of our squad players, 20-year-old Michael Maidens, had been killed in a car crash the night before. It's obviously not the same situation because Maidens had not built up the affection with us that Ernie Cooksey so clearly had with you; he never got the chance. But there were some emotional scenes; the scarves and flowers piled up at the ground, an incredibly poignant speech read by the PA announcer at the next home game.

There were lots of discussions over how Michael should be remembered fittingly and tastefully. It was finally decided that the Goal of the Season Trophy should be named in his honour. In his short career he had scored just once, but his stunning 30 yard effort against Huddersfield was voted the best of 2005/06. Joel Porter became the first receipient at the awards night last month and it was presented by Michael's parents, who found it difficult to put their feelings into words.

Whether it's a trophy or a bar or part of the ground, I'm sure you'll all do the right thing by Ernie's memory.

Best wishes

Thanks John

Very Fitting tribute to your player .

I was thinking about how we as a club might make a permanent tribute to the legend that is Ernie Cooksey.

And then I had an inspiration. :idea:

We've got a new bar in the Rochdale Road End that needs a name.

So how about Ernie's ??

I've emailed Alan and Bob Gorrill, but would like some honest opinions from the good folk of OWTB.

Great? Crass? Tasteless? :mmm:

Any other ideas?

This is a great idea and I am 100% behind it.

There are other former players who will always be remembered, but Ernie always played like a fan would - that is why he was so well regarded so quickly. Ernie's could always move to another part of the ground when it is right to do so.

This is a great idea and I am 100% behind it.

There are other former players who will always be remembered, but Ernie always played like a fan would - that is why he was so well regarded so quickly. Ernie's could always move to another part of the ground when it is right to do so.

It's hard to not get over emotional with the tragic news of "our" ernie's passing, and i was talking last night to my mates about the possibility of naming the new main stand the "cooksey stand" as a tribute when it is finished.......but, as that will be probably 2 years in completion, then this suggestion of the bar is cracking intrim idea.

It will not be a sleur on the other former players who have sadly passed on recently, as; has been stated elsewhere, the circumstances around Ernie's passing a just tragic & different to the others.

The Hartlepool fan's post above is interesting too; they've named the goal of the season award after their young lad - its been mentioned that the rose-bowl should be re-named as a tribute to Ernie - i'd go along with that too.

I feel having a pre-match drink in "Ernie's Bar" in the RRE , talking all things Latics and getting the atmosphere going is an apt way to remember a true fans favourite -

RIP Ernie