Ernie Channel M Interview

Never seen that interview he didn before. Its very upsetting,

" My aim is to get psychically fit , even that would be over achieving, but we all have a dream"

:(

I felt exactly the same, gut-wrenching isn't it, been a desperately sad week

Mainly focuses on Dale but shows the benefit game

Latics Legend 'Our' Ernie

Doesn't really surprise me as Dale was where he played the majority of his cut-back career. Does it surprise anyone else that Ernie only made just over 40 appearances for the 'tics? It feels like he was with us for agood few seasons! Just proves what a breath of fresh air he was to the world of football.

Does it surprise anyone else that Ernie only made just over 40 appearances for the 'tics? It feels like he was with us for agood few seasons! Just proves what a breath of fresh air he was to the world of football.

was looking at the stats last night....

in just over 40 games he scored 6 times.... twice in one game alone!!

not a bad return really!

was looking at the stats last night....

in just over 40 games he scored 6 times.... twice in one game alone!!

not a bad return really!

Not bad for a midfielder when you consider what was Richie Wellens highest goal tally for a season and he has been consistently been one of the best midfielders in League 1 for the past 5 seasons. Not that Wellens should be remembered as anything less than a good player for us but it goes to show that Ernie did have something about him skill wise He could find the back of the net. Ernie would be the type of player who would arrive in the box to get on the end of a cross think his goal against QPR which I'm sure was his most memorable.

" My aim is to get psychically fit , even that would be over achieving, but we all have a dream"

That sentence brings a tear to the eye.

Not bad for a midfielder when you consider what was Richie Wellens highest goal tally for a season and he has been consistently been one of the best midfielders in League 1 for the past 5 seasons. Not that Wellens should be remembered as anything less than a good player for us but it goes to show that Ernie did have something about him skill wise He could find the back of the net. Ernie would be the type of player who would arrive in the box to get on the end of a cross think his goal against QPR which I'm sure was his most memorable.

That sentence brings a tear to the eye.

yeah you could hear the emotion in his voice! sort of wished i'd not clicked on the link now!!

going back to the stats though.... wonder how many were headed goals? i read somewhere that Ernie had said that non league players were strong headers of the ball as they played on poor pitches.....

the QPR game is my all time favourite game...... i remember the game well and said to the lad in front, that if only we could get a goal, we'd go on to win it as they would collapse...

up pops that little, stocky balding ex roofer like it was all scripted, and the second was soon being picked up from the back of the net courtesy of john eyre!!

awesome!

thanks Ernie... we needed a player like you that day and you showed us how committed you were to our club!

Edited by thetramdriver

i remember watching the clip at the time but it's heartbreaking watching it now,especially as it was less than 2 months ago and i remember thinking "he looks pretty well all things considered, at the worst he should at least be around for the baby being born".

i can't believe he only played 41 games for us either, seemed like more, which i suppose says something about the impact he made on the club.

Mainly focuses on Dale but shows the benefit game

Latics Legend 'Our' Ernie

TBH I think this shows he was a football legend that gave entertainment and pride to football fans in general.

Ernie was a legend not just ours !

Ernie gave the typical football fan a sense of pride in the game by showing that committment and passion is still important to some players other than the MONEY .

I hope Ernie can smile back down on us all knowing that he gave joy to so many.

What ever your doing now Ernie I bet you have a smile on your face. Lace up your boots and have a game of Wembley with Moore and best.

A TRUE GENTLEMAN WILL BE SADLY MISSED BY MANY PEOPLE FOR HIM TO HAVE ONLY PLAYED 40 GAMES FOR US AND STILL HAVE SUCH AN IMPACT ON SO MANY PEOPLE SPEAKS VOLUMES FOR THE MAN.

THERE IS A BENIFIT DO TODAY AT ST ANNES RUGBY CLUB FOR ERNIE WITH ANDY RICHIE AND FRANK BUNN AND I AM SURE A FEW OTHER PLAYERS SO IF YOU CAN GET ALLONG THERE STARTS AT 1.00

A TRUE GENTLEMAN WILL BE SADLY MISSED BY MANY PEOPLE FOR HIM TO HAVE ONLY PLAYED 40 GAMES FOR US AND STILL HAVE SUCH AN IMPACT ON SO MANY PEOPLE SPEAKS VOLUMES FOR THE MAN.

THERE IS A BENIFIT DO TODAY AT ST ANNES RUGBY CLUB FOR ERNIE WITH ANDY RICHIE AND FRANK BUNN AND I AM SURE A FEW OTHER PLAYERS SO IF YOU CAN GET ALLONG THERE STARTS AT 1.00

With regard to having only played 40 games and his imapct 59, it is very true. It's all the more remarkable as we all know the genuine esteem he was held in was there even prior to him being diagnosed. It is no sympathy feeling for him in light of events, it's always been there.

I didn't know him, but felt I did.

People have said they wished they had not watched the end of the video, but the sadness of the video contains a message for us all.

Ernie's malignant melanoma developed from a mole on his back and it's suspected that he contracted it when coaching for six months in the U.S. sunshine without his shirt. He would want everyone to be aware of the signs of skin cancer for early detection. Here is a link to a helpful site:

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyli...tingskincancer/

Also remember the SunSmart message:

S pend time in the shade between 11am and 3pm

M ake sure you never burn

A im to cover up with a t-shirt, hat and sunglasses

R emember to take extra care with children

T hen use factor 15+ sunscreen

and report mole changes or unusual skin growths promptly to your doctor.

Ernie was also a great supporter of the Malignant Melanoma Christie's Research Factor 50 Fundraising campaign about which Gillian has posted previously.

http://www.factor50.org.uk/

Let's hope that Ernie's death has highlighted the need for early detection and saved the lives of others.