2 more in?

Andy Welsh may be the other.

found an interesting article on Andy Welsh from his toronto days:

So long, Andy Welsh

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Last week, Toronto FC coach Mo Johnston admitted he made a mistake and transferred Scottish winger to English club Blackpool.

Why, exactly, Blackpool contacted Toronto FC about acquiring Welsh remains a mystery, but thank God they did because it gave Johnston the perfect excuse to ship Welsh out of town.

If only Blackpool could have came calling way back in May – it was obvious then, even after only a few games for Toronto, that Welsh was a terrible player – it would have saved the expansion franchise a lot of headaches.

Welsh was touted one of coach Johnston's "big" signings prior to the season, but the 23-year-old left winger failed to impress during his stint in MLS.

Welsh's lack of offensive production (he had only one goal) and his ineffective play were compounded by the fact he earned more than $200,000 (roughly 10 per cent of the team's salary cap) and was the fourth-highest-paid player on the squad.

From watching him play, it appeared as though Welsh was allergic to getting "stuck in" and tackling opposing players to try to strip them of possession. Instead, he routinely impersonated a turnstile on the field, letting opponents dribble right by him without so much as throwing out a leg to try to stop them.

The Scot has great speed and pace but he didn't use it effectively. Whenever he bombed down the wing, nine times out of 10 it didn't lead to anything because he couldn't beat that last defender. He either coughed up the ball or was stopped dead in his tracks.

As for being able to deliver a cross into the middle like any decent winger can do, Welsh wasn't up to the task. The Scot's delivery was woefully inadequate. He either hit the ball over the head of teammates, hung it up so the goalkeeper could easily pick it out of the air, or failed to even get past the first defender inside the box.

Welsh not only became the whipping boy of angry fans in internet chat rooms, but he was a comical figure among journalists in the press box at BMO Field, who routinely ran informal betting pools as to when he would be substituted out of a game or when he would make his first of many useless runs down the wing.

Aside from being untalented, Welsh was also a malcontent and sulked about being dropped from the team's starting lineup back in July, even when the team was decimated by injuries to five starters. He let it be known he wasn't happy about his reduced playing time, clearly oblivious to the fact he had no business being on the field to begin with.

Welsh apologists, and there are plenty of them out there, pointed to his work ethic as a reason why he belonged on the team.

But what does it say about Welsh that no other MLS club picked him up (teams had 48 hours to pick him off the waiver wire before he could make his move to England) and Blackpool didn't even pay a transfer fee for the Scot?

Not a single dollar changed hands between the clubs, as Blackpool received Welsh for free – which still means the English club overpaid for him.

Link to report

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

found an interesting article on Andy Welsh from his torronto days:

So long, Andy Welsh

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Last week, Toronto FC coach Mo Johnston admitted he made a mistake and transferred Scottish winger to English club Blackpool.

Why, exactly, Blackpool contacted Toronto FC about acquiring Welsh remains a mystery, but thank God they did because it gave Johnston the perfect excuse to ship Welsh out of town.

If only Blackpool could have came calling way back in May – it was obvious then, even after only a few games for Toronto, that Welsh was a terrible player – it would have saved the expansion franchise a lot of headaches.

Welsh was touted one of coach Johnston's "big" signings prior to the season, but the 23-year-old left winger failed to impress during his stint in MLS.

Welsh's lack of offensive production (he had only one goal) and his ineffective play were compounded by the fact he earned more than $200,000 (roughly 10 per cent of the team's salary cap) and was the fourth-highest-paid player on the squad.

From watching him play, it appeared as though Welsh was allergic to getting "stuck in" and tackling opposing players to try to strip them of possession. Instead, he routinely impersonated a turnstile on the field, letting opponents dribble right by him without so much as throwing out a leg to try to stop them.

The Scot has great speed and pace but he didn't use it effectively. Whenever he bombed down the wing, nine times out of 10 it didn't lead to anything because he couldn't beat that last defender. He either coughed up the ball or was stopped dead in his tracks.

As for being able to deliver a cross into the middle like any decent winger can do, Welsh wasn't up to the task. The Scot's delivery was woefully inadequate. He either hit the ball over the head of teammates, hung it up so the goalkeeper could easily pick it out of the air, or failed to even get past the first defender inside the box.

Welsh not only became the whipping boy of angry fans in internet chat rooms, but he was a comical figure among journalists in the press box at BMO Field, who routinely ran informal betting pools as to when he would be substituted out of a game or when he would make his first of many useless runs down the wing.

Aside from being untalented, Welsh was also a malcontent and sulked about being dropped from the team's starting lineup back in July, even when the team was decimated by injuries to five starters. He let it be known he wasn't happy about his reduced playing time, clearly oblivious to the fact he had no business being on the field to begin with.

Welsh apologists, and there are plenty of them out there, pointed to his work ethic as a reason why he belonged on the team.

But what does it say about Welsh that no other MLS club picked him up (teams had 48 hours to pick him off the waiver wire before he could make his move to England) and Blackpool didn't even pay a transfer fee for the Scot?

Not a single dollar changed hands between the clubs, as Blackpool received Welsh for free – which still means the English club overpaid for him.

Link to report

Sign him up!

Another report from Canada differs;

'Welsh scored his first goal for Toronto in a 1-0 home win over defending MLS champions, Houston Dynamo.[2] Fans subsequently voted him "Man of the Match" on the club's official website'.

He may be disillusioned and needs to find a club where he is happy and settled.

I remember he had bags of ability and desire as a teenager, if that can be rekindled he could be an asset, if not he will drift along from club to club and not fulfil his potential.

How about bringing in David Unsworth in from Burnley? Noticed the other day he had been released.Think he is 34, so a 12 month contract could be ideal, plenty of experience and not a player from what i remember. I think he turned down a player coach role at burnley saying he wanted to just play. Could be good experience for Paul Black to learn off a good pro like him.

Theres a player from Everton who could soon become available. In the Osman/Arteta mould. Spent part of last season at Gretna and been linked with £3.5m moves from the money bags of Citeh and Chelskea.

John Paul Kissock knows he is preparing for a vitally important season.

The midfielder, who had a loan spell with ill-fated Gretna last term, has progressed from the academy to the reserves and now finds himself training with the first team squad.

Kissock is focussed on having a productive pre-season and forcing himself into the thinking of manager David Moyes.

In an exclusive interview with evertonTV, he said: "It’s amazing for someone like me who has supported Everton since I was a lad and now I’m working with some of the best players in the world, so it gives you that buzz and that 'umph' to make it into the first team squad."

Kissock is keen to taste first team action this term, but is realistic enough to admit that a spell on loan could aid his progress.

He added: "I want to try and work my best this pre-season and put a few ideas into the gaffer’s head. If I’m not ready yet then maybe I will go out on loan, but I’m looking to try and push into the first team during pre-season and we’ll see what happens.

"The every day of working with such great players is amazing.

"They’re all fantastic and they all make you feel welcome – it’s what dreams are made of."

Theres a player from Everton who could soon become available. In the Osman/Arteta mould. Spent part of last season at Gretna and been linked with £3.5m moves from the money bags of Citeh and Chelskea.

John Paul Kissock knows he is preparing for a vitally important season.

The midfielder, who had a loan spell with ill-fated Gretna last term, has progressed from the academy to the reserves and now finds himself training with the first team squad.

Kissock is focussed on having a productive pre-season and forcing himself into the thinking of manager David Moyes.

In an exclusive interview with evertonTV, he said: "It’s amazing for someone like me who has supported Everton since I was a lad and now I’m working with some of the best players in the world, so it gives you that buzz and that 'umph' to make it into the first team squad."

Kissock is keen to taste first team action this term, but is realistic enough to admit that a spell on loan could aid his progress.

He added: "I want to try and work my best this pre-season and put a few ideas into the gaffer’s head. If I’m not ready yet then maybe I will go out on loan, but I’m looking to try and push into the first team during pre-season and we’ll see what happens.

"The every day of working with such great players is amazing.

"They’re all fantastic and they all make you feel welcome – it’s what dreams are made of."

Do you think he's related to some of the Kissocks who have played for us before? :grin: