Punctuation Police & Guardians of Grammar

From time to time I cannot suppress my pedantic urges any longer, and feel that I must draw attention to abuses of the English language.

My latest example involves English misuse of the French language. In Charlotte's Restaurant at Hollinworth Lake the dessert menu includes:

Gateau's

:angry:

From time to time I cannot suppress my pedantic urges any longer, and feel that I must draw attention to abuses of the English language.

My latest example involves English misuse of the French language. In Charlotte's Restaurant at Hollinworth Lake the dessert menu includes:

Gateau's

:angry:

Sorry to be pedantic but isn't it Hollingworth Lake.

Sorry to be pedantic but isn't it Hollingworth Lake.

I've always called it Hollingworth Lake, and then some months ago I read something which gave me the feeling that I had been incorrect. So when typing my post above, I deliberately left the letter g out. After your post, I looked it up, which I should have done before, and you are correct. :blush:

I've always called it Hollingworth Lake, and then some months ago I read something which gave me the feeling that I had been incorrect. So when typing my post above, I deliberately left the letter g out. After your post, I looked it up, which I should have done before, and you are correct. :blush:

Yes, and I forgot to put a question mark at the end of my last post, just shows how good my grammar is.

Great Chippy at Hollingworth Lake, one of the best I have been to, although the Chinese at Hurst Cross, Ashton takes some beating. Maybe we could start a "Best Chippy/ Takeaway" thread.

Guest oa_exile

Laff owt lowd :grin:

Yes, and I forgot to put a question mark at the end of my last post, just shows how good my grammar is.

Great Chippy at Hollingworth Lake, one of the best I have been to, although the Chinese at Hurst Cross, Ashton takes some beating. Maybe we could start a "Best Chippy/ Takeaway" thread.

The best fish (not necessarily chips) I've tasted in the Oldham area has been at Compo's in Manchester Road, but sadly it has gone bust! Now I have discovered the Mr. Thomas chippy at Hollingworth Lake (near Charlotte's) and I have to agree that the fish is as good as Compo's used to be. The chips in Charlotte's yesterday were hot, brown on the outside and fluffy inside - delicious!

Bloody onion wearing, weapon-droppers - we'll abuse their language any way we see fit...

I am with your sentiments about the French sheep-burners, but we shouldn't give them an opportunity to think they are superior. If you want to convert the letter x to an s, that's your anti-French prerogative, but to stick an apostrophe in is going too far - sacre bleu (or blue in your case)!

P.S. Charlotte's also sell panini's

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Guest oa_exile
Perhaps the desserts are supplied by that well known patissiere, Monsiuer Gateau, therefore the whole range is Gateau's?

Think you will find that you have spelt patisserie wrong :wink:

Guest oa_exile
I think you will find that I spelt a word which you don't know perfectly correctly

:tongue1:

Bitch

:laught30::ass1::shakeit:

Well I have been in a few , both in the UK and France :) how about you ? ^_^

Well I have been in a few , both in the UK and France :) how about you ? ^_^

Let's clarify here then. Have you been in a few cake shops :pizza: , or have you been in a few pastry cooks :biker: ?

Either way, I don't judge. Even if you have been inside a pastry cook inside a cake shop, so long as he wiped his hands on his apron before he went back to work.

Guest oa_exile
Let's clarify here then. Have you been in a few cake shops :pizza: , or have you been in a few pastry cooks :biker: ?

Either way, I don't judge. Even if you have been inside a pastry cook inside a cake shop, so long as he wiped his hands on his apron before he went back to work.

Read the post again , I mentioned the word patisserie never mentioned pastry cook :blink:

But then again you probably have , faggott :)

Read the post again , I mentioned the word patisserie never mentioned pastry cook :blink:

But then again you probably have , faggott :)

I'm afraid you are hoist on your own petard Mr Exile. This is the sentence you were correcting:

Perhaps the desserts are supplied by that well known patissiere, Monsiuer Gateau, therefore the whole range is Gateau's?

It clearly states that M. Gateau is a cake maker, rather than a cake shop. Perhaps you were too busy swallowing his syruppy goodness goodness to pay much attention to your pedantry :)

Guest oa_exile
I'm afraid you are hoist on your own petard Mr Exile. This is the sentence you were correcting:

It clearly states that M. Gateau is a cake maker, rather than a cake shop. Perhaps you were too busy swallowing his syruppy goodness goodness to pay much attention to your pedantry :)

........... to pay much attention to your pedantry :)