red arrows banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics ...

red arrows Red Arrows -If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on the link red arrows banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics ...

The world-famous Red Arrows will be banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed 'too British'. Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background 'might be offensive' to other countries taking part in the Games.

The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team 'too militaristically British.' Red Arrows pilots were said to be 'outraged', as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before.

Being axed from a British-based event for being 'too British' is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular. It is to be hoped that common sense prevails.

Forward this on to everyone you can.

What the hell is this country coming to?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As mikeb said above, totally untrue.

If you wanted to see the best of British, you should have been in Lincolnshire yesterday:

VulcLanc.jpg

The restored Avro Vulcan, built in Chadderton, in formation with the only airworthy Avro Lancaster in Britain. This was the Vulcan's first public display in 15 years, following 9 years of restoration. A fantastic thing to see!

although if you read before signing the petition you'll see none of that is true..obviously decisions like this are often taken 4 yrs before the event.. <_<

But why let the facts get in the way of a good story? :wink:

I hate that kind of :censored: - I always check Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/) before passing on unnecessary spam...

Right, I'm just going to send all my personal banking info to the deposed President of Nigeria... :grin:

FFS

As mikeb said above, totally untrue.

If you wanted to see the best of British, you should have been in Lincolnshire yesterday:

VulcLanc.jpg

The restored Avro Vulcan, built in Chadderton, in formation with the only airworthy Avro Lancaster in Britain. This was the Vulcan's first public display in 15 years, following 9 years of restoration. A fantastic thing to see!

weren't they both built at Chadderton??

I got to see the last official flight of the Vulcan when I was at Laarbruch. As I was on the arrestor team we got to stand at the RHAG eau and the pilot flew over us in a steep climb. Very noisey and very impressive.

weren't they both built at Chadderton??

Been following the progress of XH558 for years - I can't believe I had to go to an in-laws do when it finally appeared at an airshow :disappointed:

Can't wait to take my 6yr old to its next flight - hopefully the memory will stay with her as long as my first view of a Vulcan in flight has.

Almost as beautiful as an Eyres free kick :wink:

Been following the progress of XH558 for years - I can't believe I had to go to an in-laws do when it finally appeared at an airshow :disappointed:

Can't wait to take my 6yr old to its next flight - hopefully the memory will stay with her as long as my first view of a Vulcan in flight has.

Almost as beautiful as an Eyres free kick :wink:

But not as graceful as a spitfire.

Am I right in thinking they were only used in action in the bombing of Stanley Airport (and missed with most of them!)? Impressive looking plane (I think I saw one at Loughborough years ago, Mr Anchor would be able to confirm) and damned loud but a bit of a relic in operational terms from launch wasn’t it?

Am I right in thinking they were only used in action in the bombing of Stanley Airport (and missed with most of them!)? Impressive looking plane (I think I saw one at Loughborough years ago, Mr Anchor would be able to confirm) and damned loud but a bit of a relic in operational terms from launch wasn’t it?

The wording is 'strategic bombing' LL.

saw one at church fenton airshow many moons ago.

agree its something you'll never forget.

you can see it but hear nothing....still nothing....then as its going past you ... bloody hell..the noise!!!

same sensation when i saw the U.S. blackbirds landing at greenham common whilst "guarding" the fences there.

but thats another story!!! :lol:

saw one at church fenton airshow many moons ago.

agree its something you'll never forget.

you can see it but hear nothing....still nothing....then as its going past you ... bloody hell..the noise!!!

same sensation when i saw the U.S. blackbirds landing at greenham common whilst "guarding" the fences there.

We played footy against the Rocks at GC, what a sight those Ladies(?) were.

When I was a kid the Avro Vulcan used to fly over Oldham on tests flights.

When it was first brought into operation I made a model of a Vulcan with balsa wood and tissue paper - happy days! :grin:

jx01-03_small.jpg

Stanley was indeed bombed (With enough success to disable it) by a Vulcan after the most amazing and logistically complex airborne refuelling operation in military history, which included passing fuel from vc 10 to vc 10 and on to Vulcans numerous times. Whilst the runway was still usable - the Argies would not risk using it for their fighters as they were restricted to taking off in one direction only - leaving themselves vulnerable to various British Artillery.

Once seen (And heard!) never forgotten.

Must agree though - the Spitfire is stunningly gorgeous, and there is not one piece of straight metal on it, just beautiful curves.

Edited by outoftheblue

there was two of them at RAF Waddington for the show....

XH558 which we all know is the 'flyer'.... and the a/c that dropped its load on the runway at stanley is on fixed display there permantely... XM607

i think they had one bomb hit the runway...not bad for a conventional bomber without the laser's and gizmo's they have nowadays... but it proved to the argies that we could fly in and do pretty much whatever we wanted, that and it gave us time by denying the use of the runway to fast jets.....

and if you think travelling down that way must of been a nice 'trip out'...then try to get a ganders inside one... not very nice i'll tell ya..

a 16hr trip in a tristar seems like luxury now don't you think 'Footy'???

I do miss the trips of 11hrs+ in a c130 NOT. I've just booked a long haul Holiday, the travel agent asked if I've flown long distance before............

11 hours in a c130? - OUCH!!

Should have done what I did - jumped out at 9400ft (Much more enjoyable) :wink:

Incidentally, apart from the short flights up to 2000ft when I was skydiving, I once took a scheduled Hawaiian Air flight from Honolulu to Maui which took just six minutes - are there any shorter flights than that?

My Dad's cousin was in the Military Police and guarded Greenham Common for real - not a man you would be wise to mess with. He told us a few of the tricks they used when nobody was looking. There were a few carpet munchers with sore fingers...

I do miss the trips of 11hrs+ in a c130 NOT. I've just booked a long haul Holiday, the travel agent asked if I've flown long distance before............

lol....

worse herc flight i ever did was back from incirlik... kept wondering where i could take a leak, and at the same time why these loadies kept standing next to what looked like an ornamental post box on the front bulkhead....

soon learnt to get on last, and sleep on the pallets...

mind you, when in the flaklands i used to go up for jollies with the refueller... two of us got an offer...

1x ramp ride over the mountain sites..

1x have 1/2hr 'clutch' of the thing whilst right-hander went for a dump or summat...

i chose the 1/2hr jolly.. not many people can say they have flown a hercules eh? well apart from their pilots i guess!

ps....

for long haul flight you can't beat a bit of 'business class'... not that premium economy stuff... proper BIG chairs and REGULAR drinks service...

did 11hrs to san fran on a jumbo a few years back, awesome!!! the only flight i ever did that i DIDN'T want to fall asleep on..

yep....mr whittle..i thank you!!

oh yeah if you are listening mr whittle.... keep an eye on that young lad that's just arrived! an awesome footballer! get him in ya team and you'll win the league no worries!

ps....

for long haul flight you can't beat a bit of 'business class'... not that premium economy stuff... proper BIG chairs and REGULAR drinks service...

did 11hrs to san fran on a jumbo a few years back, awesome!!! the only flight i ever did that i DIDN'T want to fall asleep on..

yep....mr whittle..i thank you!!

oh yeah if you are listening mr whittle.... keep an eye on that young lad that's just arrived! an awesome footballer! get him in ya team and you'll win the league no worries!

Go on... admit it. What did you steal?

No-one comes away from their first business class flight without an etched brandy glass or some silverware or summat :D

i had very unhappy memories of a flight from honington,suffolk to macrahanish,mull of kintyre ...in a hercules ...

a feckin bone shaker of a journey that had me yonking foodstuff from days past the entire journey...and i know it was only about 1 hour,but it was something else!

god knows how i'd have coped on a longer trip.

as for greenham...i SAW things your dad probably told you about

Go on... admit it. What did you steal?

No-one comes away from their first business class flight without an etched brandy glass or some silverware or summat :D

lol.....moi???

must admit to one thing though....

i worked (and mrs ttd still does!) at the airport at the time, so said upgrade was courtesy of our staff badge flashing really...

we always had an unwritten rule at work..if you ever got a freebie...upgrade or a flight itself then you kept shtum..

the first thing we did was barge in front of the riff raff in the back, straight to our seats.."would you like a drink?".."yes please..champagne!" etc etc

then when airborne we both used to the inflight phones to brag to our families about the upgrade...he he

£20 connection and £20 a minute! but a lot cheaper than 2 tickets for £600 to 2 tickets EACH costing over £6,000

great flight that.... hic!

When I was a kid the Avro Vulcan used to fly over Oldham on tests flights.

When it was first brought into operation I made a model of a Vulcan with balsa wood and tissue paper - happy days! :grin:

jx01-03_small.jpg

i think when you were a kid diego you saw a sopwith camel flying above you and not a vulcan :wink:sopwith-camel-f1-1.jpg