"Gates may fall next term"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7492705.stm

Dont know if this has been discussed but i think if things keep going the way they are with rising prices etc it might hit our gates even more so than last year. im no expert in economics and what is going on in business at the moment but its obvious most people/families are in for much harder times than before.???

Edited by Goal89

Dont know if this has been discussed but i think if things keep going the way they are with rising prices etc it might hit our gates even more so than last year. im no expert in economics and what is going on in business at the moment but its obvious most people/families are in for much harder times than before.???

i think it is fair to say that our attendances have always dropped ever so slightly year on year(waiting for a statto to prove me wrong)

people have to seriously consider what are considered luxuries.....and im affraid to say that in this day and age football is no longer a game where the working class folk can go to and unwind and vent there anger and frustrations on a saturday afternoon.....£20 pay on the day is to a single bloke the equivelant of a weeks shopping in someplaces.

petrol is now over £5.40 a gallon diesel is even more expensive.....the average family is now paying through the nose for what are considered basics.home shopping travel gas and electric......

it is a sad indicament that in this day and age the working class folk are priced out of the game because of basically wage demands, and fans unwillingness to put up with inferior players...

clubs really are in a catch 22 situation,and plenty will go bust or merge in the next 5-10 years.....i know where not in the premeir league anymore....but arsenal are and there wage bill is 24 million a year!!!!

...it is a sad indicament that in this day and age the working class folk are priced out of the game because of basically wage demands, and fans unwillingness to put up with inferior players...

clubs really are in a catch 22 situation,and plenty will go bust or merge in the next 5-10 years.....i know where not in the premeir league anymore....but arsenal are and there wage bill is 24 million a year!!!!

Agreed, but until people stop subscribing to Sky the greedy spiral will continue.

Thought about this myself, sure If I'm home at all this season, I'll happily pay the 20 quid gate price for whatever games I can get to. But with the cost of living showing no signs of easing up, increasing energy bills, tax etc I cant see how your average fan can afford to go week in week out. I think the club should seriously consider reducing ticket costs. Even then I dont think that would really help.

Im with Deigo an this ..... Sky as great as it may be to watch has cost the average fan and the home gates of lots of clubs... its also responsible for the way fans anylise every kick and I dare say several managers jobs ........ I hate them

Thought about this myself, sure If I'm home at all this season, I'll happily pay the 20 quid gate price for whatever games I can get to. But with the cost of living showing no signs of easing up, increasing energy bills, tax etc I cant see how your average fan can afford to go week in week out. I think the club should seriously consider reducing ticket costs. Even then I dont think that would really help.

This could not be done without seriously reducing the wage bill.

The credit crunch and impending economic slowdown will have an effect over the next season it depends on the levels of unemployment really. But not as greater an effect as people choosing to watch other teams on Sky in that sense its not too dissimilar to other seasons really. To be fair to TTA regarding the price of going to Oldham this is the 4th season in succession where pay on the day prices have remained the same.

The impact of the economy is going to be most felt by the Stadium development and how many property developers will be prepared to take on the residential development as banks are becoming much tougher on lending money to people through mortgages and lending to developers to take on new projects. Result being that this stadium development may take longer than was first hoped and hit TTA in the pocket personally. Although as we haven't heard otherwise we must assume that the new main stand and residential development will go ahead as scheduled

Edited by GlossopLatic

The credit crunch and impending economic slowdown will have an effect over the next season it depends on the levels of unemployment really. But not as greater an effect as people choosing to watch other teams on Sky in that sense its not too dissimilar to other seasons really. To be fair to TTA regarding the price of going to Oldham this is the 4th season in succession where pay on the day prices have remained the same.

No matter what the greedy MP's tell us. Inflation is not 2.9%. Real infaltion on essential items people have to buy is over 10%. The club will not be able to hold prices down next season.

Football is getting more and more expensive for a fan of some teams but there has been very little increase in cost (relatively) for Latics fans. As mentioned previously the cost of pay on the gate has remained the same for the past 4 years and the price of accessories and sundires (shirt, programme, pie etc.) hasn't gone up a lot in that time either. How much extra do you think it costs fans of the bigger teams in those four years. However in those four years the cost of living has gone up a lot more but wages haven't increased by enough and I will agree that due to the cost of living football may be seen as a luxury that can't be afforded by a lot of fans.

When Sky came into football at the start of the Premier League personally I thought it was a good thing (although i didn't get sky until we were out of it) as it meant there was more football on TV. Now with Sky paying far far too much money to show football on TV the situation has gotten worse. If sky, the beeb, ITV, Setanta and anyone else who wants to show football on TV said to the greedy League no we are not paying the price you want we are paying this price which we think is fair (bear in mind the Beeb is partially funded by the license payer but they don't have a say as to how much the Beeb pays for things). The greedy league would be almost forced to take it (after all the clubs make so much money on adverts because they are on TV). This would eventually mean that the ridiculous wages demanded by the top players in the Premier League are reduced and so the wage demands of those lower down the league ladder are also reduced. When the Portugese 'winker' is demanding more in a week than all but the very highest paid employees make in a year then life is wrong. Another way to stop the average gate from going down is to stop the trade of all those pubs which show games live on TV at 3pm on a saturday via an illegal feed from another country. I would reckon that a fair portion of this board knows the name of at least one pub which does this and if they stopped showing these games maybe those armchair red and blues fans might actually go to a game as opposed to watching one in a pub.

One thing is for certain though in the current world economic climate something needs to change or a lot of football teams will go out of business but i think nothing will be done until a club that's actually in the Premier League goes into administration/out of business which seems highly unlikely.

Times are hard and Latics need a 3 pronged approach to maintain / improve attendances.

1) Play entertaining football and be challenging for promotion

2) When the season has started introduce a 10 match mini season-ticket that allows access to any 10 games of the buyers choice - no reservation of seat, but it gives the club a guarantee of income for a chunk of the season (e.g. £170 cost for adults and £25 for kids) and be more affordable for those who can't afford season tickets or can only get to a certain number of games.

3) More marketing in schools, town centres, newspapers etc.

No matter what the greedy MP's tell us. Inflation is not 2.9%. Real infaltion on essential items people have to buy is over 10%. The club will not be able to hold prices down next season.

In all honesty it depends on what things you buy regarding inflation obviously at the moment things like fuel and food are rising above the average. The club have said what price the ticket prices are going to be next season and if we enter a recession I can't see them putting up the prices mid season at all people will have less money they won't be able to justify it.

Rudemedic - Sky pay the extortiante fees for the rights so that they can sell the premier league abroad. They know the Premier League has a high value globally. We have been talking about clubs at this level having to go part time or to the wall aslong as I have been watching football and like all the other clubs at this level we have been making a loss in that time yet have still managed to survive.

3) More marketing in schools, town centres, newspapers etc.

I agree entirely with this - one of the things that REALLY winds me up, is when you park in The Spindles car park, the first thing you see as you walk into the shopping centre is JJB's windows which are filled with Man Ure shirts. As you walk past the door you see racks of Man Ure, Ciddeh, Chelski and Arse-nil shirts. Not a flaming LAtics top in sight. Even when the Streetwise Sports store was open and fully trading, the Latics shirts were tucked away at the back.

It makes me want to :censored: puke!! :angry:

I agree entirely with this - one of the things that REALLY winds me up, is when you park in The Spindles car park, the first thing you see as you walk into the shopping centre is JJB's windows which are filled with Man Ure shirts. As you walk past the door you see racks of Man Ure, Ciddeh, Chelski and Arse-nil shirts. Not a flaming LAtics top in sight. Even when the Streetwise Sports store was open and fully trading, the Latics shirts were tucked away at the back.

It makes me want to :censored: puke!! :angry:

JJB is shutting down now :)

What really concerns me, is the stadium and associated development. Hardly a day goes by without some announcement from a frontline builder either laying off staff, or moth balling developments. I think we are all aware that the site development is important to the TTA, and if the totality of the scheme is to be delayed because of market conditions for any not inconsequential period of time, then l worry about the effect this will have on the TTA and their financial ability to continue to support the club.

Only today, Merrill Lynch have been quoted as suggesting that it may take anything up to twenty (20) years for the property market, both commercial and domestic, to recover back to 2007 levels.

What really concerns me, is the stadium and associated development. Hardly a day goes by without some announcement from a frontline builder either laying off staff, or moth balling developments. I think we are all aware that the site development is important to the TTA, and if the totality of the scheme is to be delayed because of market conditions for any not inconsequential period of time, then l worry about the effect this will have on the TTA and their financial ability to continue to support the club.

Only today, Merrill Lynch have been quoted as suggesting that it may take anything up to twenty (20) years for the property market, both commercial and domestic, to recover back to 2007 levels.

Yep. Persimmons over here in York has shed around 1100 jobs this year, Barretts might shed 1000 and Taylor Wimpey is looking at closing 13 offices resulting in a loss of 600 jobs. It all has a knock-on effect.

im glad its happening this country has had its head in the sand for far too long. say what you like about anything but if there were still hundreds of working farms in the rolling hills of lancashire then bread, eggs, milk and meat wouldnt be rivalling petrol in terms of percentage price increases.

im glad its happening this country has had its head in the sand for far too long. say what you like about anything but if there were still hundreds of working farms in the rolling hills of lancashire then bread, eggs, milk and meat wouldnt be rivalling petrol in terms of percentage price increases.

Really? we pay out a hell of alot to farmers in terms of the Common agricultural policy More farms equals more funding to them result higher taxes. We might pay less interms of food in the supermarket but it would just go out the other way interms of tax.

As their would be less houses the prices of them would be even higher than they are now. Which means that people would have to borrow even more money for mortgages and developments.

Really? we pay out a hell of alot to farmers in terms of the Common agricultural policy More farms equals more funding to them result higher taxes. We might pay less interms of food in the supermarket but it would just go out the other way interms of tax.

As their would be less houses the prices of them would be even higher than they are now. Which means that people would have to borrow even more money for mortgages and developments.

really. im talking about using the fields to farm, not paying farmers all over europe to keep fields trim. im talking of self sufficency in food for everyone, not paying nigerians 2p a bunch to grow tulips in a marquee. im talking of my hatred for globalisation and i shouldnt on a football board!! too many people 'dont do politics' without realising how much it really does affect them.

really. im talking about using the fields to farm, not paying farmers all over europe to keep fields trim. im talking of self sufficency in food for everyone, not paying nigerians 2p a bunch to grow tulips in a marquee. im talking of my hatred for globalisation and i shouldnt on a football board!! too many people 'dont do politics' without realising how much it really does affect them.

Fair enough if you are not for globalisation your entitled to your opinion. Although while it has its faults it seems to be the only way that works. If anyone can think of a better way they will become the greatest politician/economist of our time.

Fair enough if you are not for globalisation your entitled to your opinion. Although while it has its faults it seems to be the only way that works. If anyone can think of a better way they will become the greatest politician/economist of our time.

but it doesnt work unless you are a politician/ already wealthy/ conglomerate. its diegos hatred of sky in macro, as long as we all continue to buy african flowers, new zealand meat and south american bread whilst politicians oversee countries that preach at the common man to use his car less whilst flying in the food from the other side of the world it will continue. or it could just be a coincidence that as globalization marches onwards the worlds poor get poorer.

but it doesnt work unless you are a politician/ already wealthy/ conglomerate. its diegos hatred of sky in macro, as long as we all continue to buy african flowers, new zealand meat and south american bread whilst politicians oversee countries that preach at the common man to use his car less whilst flying in the food from the other side of the world it will continue. or it could just be a coincidence that as globalization marches onwards the worlds poor get poorer.

Just to let you know where I'm coming from here I have a degree in Economics which doesn't mean I know everything or am definately right or that you are wrong its just that studying it for 4 years has formed my opinion on this.

It gets poorer? explain the rise of China and India then please because the are getting richer through it and between them they account for 1 third of the world population they are being dragged into a new and dragging hundreds of million people out of poverty in the process.

Diegos hatred of sky? well this might surprise people when I say this but the premier League is competitive why because more than 1 team is challenging for the league their is still some uncertainty in the outcome of games Manchester United and Chelsea were still getting beat by inferior teams last season. Add to that the fact that The PL sells globally and gets massive tv audiences and fills newspaper columns. Once it gets too predictable then yeah people will switch off the tv companies will pay less attendences will drop and sponsors will disappear.

It will stay that way because Manchester United and Chelsea however rich they get can only field 11 players officially and can only buy up so much talent. As a result players choosing going to United or Chelsea have to decide if they have a chance of first team football. Talented youngsters such as Theo Walcott Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale all recently had the chance to join either United or Chelsea and turned the chance down because of the lack of opportunities that they would get at 1st team level. Arsenal have been able to attract alot of top young players because of their ability to develop young players. This is a route I think we are trying to follow and will explain the signings that shez has made this summer. We are starting to get a good reputation for developing young players and thats an attractive proposition to young players coming through and deciding a club of which to start their careers and can take us on to better things won't mean we could ever compete with the top of the premiership but it can take us higher.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Diegos hatred of sky? well this might surprise people when I say this but the premier League is competitive why because more than 1 team is challenging for the league their is still some uncertainty in the outcome of games Manchester United and Chelsea were still getting beat by inferior teams last season. Add to that the fact that The PL sells globally and gets massive tv audiences and fills newspaper columns. Once it gets too predictable then yeah people will switch off the tv companies will pay less attendences will drop and sponsors will disappear.

But it is predictable.

You can safely predict the top 4, and usually in the correct order. And the bottom 3 is usually a fairly safe bet too. Again, the teams in the middle, well you can pretty much split them into two groups of top half and bottom half and not get much wrong. It's crushingly predictable in fact.

People buy into it because the players within are 'superstars' who they want to see. And the bulk of the floating fans around the world are either Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal fans, so they tune in en masse to see their "hero's" play.

Until the clubs get less greedy, this is going to carry on until it cannot sustain itself here, and then games start getting played in fecking Dubai or suchlike, because fans there will happily pay £200 to watch it. Believe me, that idea got kyboshed straight away, but it'll resurface again in a few years time and it'll happen eventually.

Actually, we’d all starve to death. The enormous growth in population since the dawn of the industrial age was made possible by trade and the sourcing of products where they could be made most cheaply, if you reverse that process you will pretty rapidly reverse the population growth as well. It’s been tried... You don’t have to like the system but you wouldn’t exist without it...

But it is predictable.

You can safely predict the top 4, and usually in the correct order. And the bottom 3 is usually a fairly safe bet too. Again, the teams in the middle, well you can pretty much split them into two groups of top half and bottom half and not get much wrong. It's crushingly predictable in fact.

People buy into it because the players within are 'superstars' who they want to see. And the bulk of the floating fans around the world are either Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal fans, so they tune in en masse to see their "hero's" play.

Until the clubs get less greedy, this is going to carry on until it cannot sustain itself here, and then games start getting played in fecking Dubai or suchlike, because fans there will happily pay £200 to watch it. Believe me, that idea got kyboshed straight away, but it'll resurface again in a few years time and it'll happen eventually.

Predictable to a large extent yes Stoke and Hull will likely go down and the big 4 will make up the top 4, but not too predictable because people are still paying attention, once that goes then yes you will have a situation where it is too predictable as things stand the current situation while having many flaws it still works becuase enough people are talking about it and are paying to see it. People won't pay to see their Heroes do exactly the same thing over and over again they will just switch off. It will have to get more predictable yet before it changes I'm afraid.

The 39th game will no doubt crop up again yes you are right and no doubt they will try to find a way for it to work. So far it has not happened because it is just to in practical and I doubt it will happen for a while for that reason They will have to get everyone to agree first.

It will stay that way because Manchester United and Chelsea however rich they get can only field 11 players officially and can only buy up so much talent. As a result players choosing going to United or Chelsea have to decide if they have a chance of first team football. Talented youngsters such as Theo Walcott Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale all recently had the chance to join either United or Chelsea and turned the chance down because of the lack of opportunities that they would get at 1st team level. Arsenal have been able to attract alot of top young players because of their ability to develop young players. This is a route I think we are trying to follow and will explain the signings that shez has made this summer. We are starting to get a good reputation for developing young players and thats an attractive proposition to young players coming through and deciding a club of which to start their careers and can take us on to better things won't mean we could ever compete with the top of the premiership but it can take us higher.

Your words which I've highlighted apply not only to us but to all clubs other than the existing top few in the Greedy League. As F Mr S says, it's predictable. You say ManUre and Chelski were getting beat by inferior teams last season. All that means is that more people tune in to MOTD on those occasions to see the big two getting beat. All that matters in reality is which teams win the games between the top four. The team which wins the most finishes top

Even when we were in the top flight Joe Royle described it as three leagues within a league - the only thing which has changed is that the likes of Derby County last season got millions for failing miserably, compared to the £75,000 during Latics' top-flight residence.

Sky TV must amount to great value compared to the cost of following lower division teams at home and away. What sickens me is that none of the crumbs form the greedy table fall into the bank accounts of the lesser clubs, without which there would not be England's fantastic football pyramid.

Sepp Blatter says the discussion on the 39th game has even suggested League Cup or F.A. Cup games being played abroad. I'm sure that will not be the likes of Dale v Latics or Chasetown v Port Vale, those cup games will be between two of the Greedy League teams.

Perhaps if supporters of the 72 non-Greedy League teams did not subscribe to Sky, consideration might be given to a fairer distribution of the TV cake, but I doubt it.