20/20 quarter final

Don't think so...IIRC all England players were released to play for their counties between the NZ and SA games, except for Jimmy, Sidebottom, Broad and Vaughan.

i know, but that was for a county game and was understandable as jimmy, siddo and broady (to their mate lol) had just bowled a few hundred overs between them and it was sensible not to ask them to do it again at county level in the gap between doing it again at international level. vaughan(y) speaks for himself with that knee!! but tonight is 4 overs bowling and 16 overs fielding, maybe face 4 balls batting! its probably less strenuous than touch rugby in the international warm up!!! am i beginning to sound like bob willis?

Why should Jimmy just walk straight back into the side? Leave him where he is Saj and Freddie will rip em apart early on and Marshy will sweep up at the end no need for Jimmy.

In fairness I'd agree with Len anyway. As good as Jimmy can be he can also be a massive liability and it's not worth it. Noone deserves to lose their place...Chapple, Saj, Fred, Hogg, Croft, Marshall and FDP should be more than enough again. The only way we'll lose tonight is if, yet again, the top order misfires.

My team:

Vincent

Loye

Law

Du Plessis

Croft

Flintoff

Hogg

Cross

Chapple

Mahmood

Marshall

It will be very interesting to see where Fred bats though after his second innings at Hove. They clearly like the idea of him batting up the order as he did against Yorks at home...now he's got some runs under his belt, will they be tempted to send him in up the order again?!

It will be very interesting to see where Fred bats though after his second innings at Hove. They clearly like the idea of him batting up the order as he did against Yorks at home...now he's got some runs under his belt, will they be tempted to send him in up the order again?!

It's a no-brainer for me. Send him out swinging his bat, he's not in the form to build an innings anyway so may as well hope his can smash them about for a few overs.

I'd stick with Loye and Vincent opening see how they go, if there's an early wicket stick with law at 3 if they put 50/60 on send freddie in at 3 to punish em even more. Its one of them with freddie he'll either be out 1st ball or he'll smash 50 of 18 balls.

Oh Lancy Lancy......

Is there anywhere to listen to it online. Dont have Sky and having to settle for SSN's for updates.

I'm watching it here :

http://www.justin.tv/widgets/jtv_live.r779...annel=mycricket

If it asks you for a password, it's "batsman"

Not sure if I'll make it to the end. It's nearly 1:00am here and I've already had one late night this week

watching the Nadal v Federer final!!

Edited by ThaiLatic

Why should Jimmy just walk straight back into the side? Leave him where he is Saj and Freddie will rip em apart early on and Marshy will sweep up at the end no need for Jimmy.

On that bowling performance Marshall will be lucky to be kept on to sweep the dressing room, never mind the tail of an innings.

How Lancs lost that game after having Middlesex at 21-4 is unbelievable, they should never have got anywhere near the 176 they achieved.

Marshall was thrown in at the deep end and he drowned badly his return of 4-0-53-0 without doubt cost Lancs the game, not many sides will have any single bowler return figures like that and win a 20/20 game.

As well as Malan batted some of the buffet bowling he was being served up was ridiculous and Lancs Captain Stuart Law must also shoulder his share of the responsibility for continuing to bowl Marshall even though every ball was going for either 6 or 4 and Malan had shown an undoubted liking for his bowling in his earlier overs.

Anyway thats that for another year.

Edited by Hometownclub

On that bowling performance Marshall will be lucky to be kept on to sweep the dressing room, never mind the tail of an innings.

How Lancs lost that game after having Middlesex at 21-4 is unbelievable, they should never have got anywhere near the 176 they achieved.

Marshall was thrown in at the deep end and he drowned badly his return of 4-0-53-0 without doubt cost Lancs the game, not many sides will have any single bowler return figures like that and win a 20/20 game.

As well as Malan batted some of the buffet bowling he was being served up was ridiculous and Lancs Captain Stuart Law must also shoulder his share of the responsibility for continuing to bowl Marshall even though every ball was going for either 6 or 4 and Malan had shown an undoubted liking for his bowling in his earlier overs.

Terrible captaincy we had them on the rack with the seamers, he should have continued with them maybe even brought in Hogg but as soon as they got on top of the spinners the game changed. But in true Latics fan style I will blame the management, Watkinson out.

Terrible captaincy we had them on the rack with the seamers, he should have continued with them maybe even brought in Hogg but as soon as they got on top of the spinners the game changed. But in true Latics fan style I will blame the management, Watkinson out.

You're right though it was the captaincy that cost us a winning position and the game he was bowling the spinners Marshall and Du Plessis who were being slogged all over the shop and yet two of the seam bowlers who had done well Cork and Chapple only bowled 3 overs each with massively better economy rates than Marshall at 13.25 an over and Du Plessis 1 over for 20 runs, plus he also had Hogg available.

That's harsh on the guy, he's been outstanding throughout the tournament. The two overs that cost us were his last one and and FDP's...you can't blame Stu for bringing FDP on...but when he saw how Malan was playing spin he should have taken Marshall off straight away...it was suicide to leave him on even though he'd done OK beforehand.

Things in sport can be so cruel and the smallest stroke of luck can ruin a team's campaign...what were the chances of Fred finding the one guy on the boundary? A couple of metres to the side and it was six. Bearing in mind we lost by 12 runs, being six runs closer with the big hitter in if things had worked out slightly differently and I think we would have got home.

Still...it's Lancs...who actually expected us not to blow it?!

It was nothing short of criminal that Chapple and Corky didn't bowl out. They both opened exceptionally well, Middlesex couldn't do anything with them. Cork should also have batted earlier, him and Law are the two guys with the nouse to know how to get to the target.

I feel strangely OK today, despite my Fanta having a strange taste to it.

Marshall is not that bad a player (saw him be lancs MOM at Durham last year- 40 summat plus 2 wickets) and I have no qualms about him bowling. However I feel he was let down by his captain. When you have 4 of the best seam bowlers in the country who are availible for the game it makes no sense what so ever not to bowl them out. This is doubled when you consider the kind of bowling Chapple and Cork produced at the start and if one doesn't bowl out I'd have said it should have been Mahmood. I'd have looked at bowling Hogg and some of the other part time seamers a bit more as opposed to spin. That spell of 3 overs (2 from Marshall and one from Du Plessis) costs Lancs the game as it gave Middlesex some time to turn the game around a bit which they then used to their full advantage.

Oh well we'll just have to check the passports, birth certificates of every Middlesex player.

It was nothing short of criminal that Chapple and Corky didn't bowl out. They both opened exceptionally well, Middlesex couldn't do anything with them.

for me that says it all. to quote ian botham (although he was refering to another team at the time) we (and by 'we' i mean sturat law) showed about as much killer instinct as the tellitubbies.