Latics v West Ham FAYC 1996

Just chucking out load of old tosh at work and found this in a storage box

fayc96083is8.jpg

fayc96t082id7.jpg

Anyways just thought I'd post it up. If memory serves (and it doesn't) they won 2-1 or 1-0 with a late undeserved goal after we'd battered them all game.

On a point of accuracy Rocky, it was StipeTripe who suggested it first on a thread about a song for Lee Hughes:

Markoasis was in favour of the suggestion from the start.

Maybe by the 13th Mr Tripe wil have emerged from hibernation once again. :)

Good to see you've emerged from Summer hibernation.

I bet our No. 9 gave their No. 5 the runaround!

[Anyways just thought I'd post it up. If memory serves (and it doesn't) they won 2-1 or 1-0 with a late undeserved goal after we'd battered them all game.

Very interesting that. I reckon 3 of ours and 5 of theirs are still playing at league level which seems to be quite a high ratio for youth team sucess. But for 2 of them to be England internationals from the same youth team is some going. I wonder if Joe Cle played in that team with them as well at any time. I assume the RAWS must have done something similar. Their keepers dad (Tom Finn) was Latics Secretary for quite a time I think or at least a high up in the office.

Edited by astottie

Good to see you've emerged from Summer hibernation.

I bet our No. 9 gave their No. 5 the runaround!

I can't recall if Rio was Ratted or not, I suspect not, who knew.

Actually with regard to the other point which I assume is regards Guns of Navarone, I suggested it on JKL originally, in the dim distant mists of time.

Hibernation? No Chance. Tempus fugit more like.

It's always interesting finding stuff like this.

I can remember seeing Al*n Y*ung playing for Scotland schoolboys against England at O*d Tr*fford in the early '70's. And, Steve Edwards playing for England schoolboys around the same time.

I also remember seeing Happy Mondays supporting the Woodentops at B'ham Poly in 1986ish. I wonder whatever happened to them?!!

"I can remember seeing Al*n Y*ung playing for Scotland schoolboys against England at O*d Tr*fford in the early '70's. And, Steve Edwards playing for England schoolboys around the same time."

As quoted by Tai.......................................

Alan Young was my favourite player as a nipper. When did he break into the first team, 75ish ?

Edited by Chris Ogden

"I can remember seeing Al*n Y*ung playing for Scotland schoolboys against England at O*d Tr*fford in the early '70's. And, Steve Edwards playing for England schoolboys around the same time."

Alan Young was my favourite player as a nipper. When did he break into the first team, 75ish ?

I think it was '75/'76. Surely you should remember, Chris. You must have played with him enough times :wink:

By the way, it was Steve Gardner I saw playing for England schoolboys and not Steve Edwards. Drinking too much Chang can play tricks with your memory!!

I think it was '75/'76. Surely you should remember, Chris. You must have played with him enough times :wink:

By the way, it was Steve Gardner I saw playing for England schoolboys and not Steve Edwards. Drinking too much Chang can play tricks with your memory!!

Yes! Mark Hotte was in that line up!!

Anyone remember him doing a diving header....... into the floor.

Guest oa_exile

Alan made his League debut in season 74-75 , scoring away at Pompey.

He actually made his first team debut in the same season in the Texaco Cup V's The Lashers.

Alan made his League debut in season 74-75 , scoring away at Pompey.

He actually made his first team debut in the same season in the Texaco Cup V's The Lashers.

Alan Young highlight, the hat trick against Leicester, First Division (old money) Leicester ? Which set up a 5th round game against Ossie Ardiles and Spurs, and the possibility of a 6th round against manyouknightid, brilliant nights at BP which will be 30 years old next new year, gulp. Yeah I know he did the durty on us, but what the heck you can't take away what he did for Latics.

Edited by StipeTripe