Latics sign up Man United striker

:sleeping:

I like the way our midfield options look now... think we have a bit of everything... and with O'Grady, Whittaker, Lee and Chrissy who can all play on the left... I dont really expect a strict LW to come in, and the 4-3-3 will be back with a vengeance next year...

In Shez's Latics World interview he mentions that he would still like to sign a left-sided player, although he was non-committal on whether that person would be a left-back or left-midfielder. Incidentally, there is also LW footage of Lomax knocking in left-footed crosses during a recent training session although the ones I saw weren't very good (keep practicing Kelvin!).

My guess on the left side would be a wing-back, probably young and on a season-long loan from a Champ or Prem club.

He is also still on the lookout for a creative midfielder which, I must admit, I thought Whittaker had been brought in to play as.

With the unexpected signing of Williams, our squad is looking awfully plump at the moment so I would think that the creative midfielder will have to wait until JP sorts himself out with another club (although I can't help but feel he's waiting for a pay-off from the club first).

I've got to say though that the current squad is looking strong enough to challenge this year. Are those butterflies in my stomach or is it just wind!?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Macca, are you serious? I love the guy, and he is a great box to box midfielder (on his day of course) but I think even if you asked him he would say his biggest weakness in his game is creativity and passing.

I don't think he was an amazing passer, but I think he created things through using positional intelligence. Probably better described as a box to box player. However I also think that KK was a great passer (as long as it went sideways) and Wellens liked to take on the world on his own. Macca played the simple pass and for me is the better mid (on his day).

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I don't think he was an amazing passer, but I think he created things through using positional intelligence. Probably better described as a box to box player. However I also think that KK was a great passer (as long as it went sideways) and Wellens liked to take on the world on his own. Macca played the simple pass and for me is the better mid (on his day).

GMac better than KK and Wellens? :dunce: You have got to be having a laugh

Err, I know Whitaker is left footed, pretty sure O'Grady is, and we all know Lee played left back for Manure... indicating he can play with his left foot...

:blink:

Whittaker is "very right footed" quote from Vale forum, and O'Grady is a striker. And I think, Lee played left-back but is right footed a la Taylor and Lomax who just don't look comfortable. I think we have to hope Black comes through this year or we will have a very un-balanced side again IMO. Unless of course somebody else comes in!