Luton to face 30-point deduction

I dont see the point in anything more than a 15 point deduction, anything more you may aswell just send them down another league. Leeds got where they were last season because they were an exceptional team, I think had it happened to anyone else they would of gone down

Not suprising. They were given a big points deduction (10) the other month. This is just a 20 point add on they knew was coming before the season for something else.

Good news for the other teams in the league - particularly those who usually scrap for relegation. Cant see them clawing that many points back.

Bournemouth already start on a points deduction alongside them. Think they've got another addition for a seperate thing coming as well.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

i dont think any team deserves that!

doomed for sure!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...own/7500435.stm

The unfortunate thing is, that like em or loathe em, the new management and the long-staying fans are getting punished for something that the previous management did.... feel for them, as both the fans and the new owners helped to rid the club of the previous corruption - and now they are being punished...

Not like the dirty yorkshire scummers, where Bates deserved everything he got and more as he was totally at fault during the whole process...

Got to feel for the fans... always thought we had a strange similarity with luton as both towns and footie teams, similar success, plastic pitches, riots etc... shows how bad things could be....

KTF...

i dont agree with points deductions. they happen to teams who are usually struggling with their finances, and its unfair on the fans who support these clubs. it also detracts from the entertainment value.

imo it should be those at the helm who get punished. however this is done i dont know, but luton could well be the best, most entertaining team in league two next year, and still get relegated. how is that right?

in ten years time, its not inconceivable that to win the league you will have to be the best run club, and not the best footballing club. where is thefun in that?

English football is in an absolute mess. The "Greed Is Good" League allows clubs to run up massive debts and be owned by "dubious" characters while the rest of us can go to hell.

RIP, English football.

the reason why it is so big is because its the third time they have had financial difficulties in a year they are not being run by the correct people preeviously but as a result all the fans will suffer

are fans really considered in thsi process??

This won't happen but................if every team just stood aside and let Luton beat them 6-0 it would send out a message to the FA/FL that us smaller clubs are sick of being pushed around by the so-called bigger clubs. What would they do then?

This won't happen but................if every team just stood aside and let Luton beat them 6-0 it would send out a message to the FA/FL that us smaller clubs are sick of being pushed around by the so-called bigger clubs. What would they do then?

its very unfair, but they have an appeal coming up for deduction of those first 10 points.

poor old ERIC MORECAMBE he is probably turning in his grave.

its very unfair, but they have an appeal coming up for deduction of those first 10 points.

poor old ERIC MORECAMBE he is probably turning in his grave.

You can understand 10 point but 30 ??? Just shows how badly run football is....

If I was Luton I would seek being relgated NOW and swap places with a non league team... Who is going to turn up and watch a pointless season... They are down before they kick a ball... I wouldnt be surprised if they are out of business by end of the year... Who does that benefit ?

i had this thought at first, but too many teams will be fighting for something, be it at the top or bottom of the league, to do that.

in reality, this has nothing to do with luton, it has everything to do with the future of football. if three or four teams a year are doing a luton, and they all get the same punishment the entertainment in football will simply drip away. how is a 30 point deduction keeping a level playing field?

i had this thought at first, but too many teams will be fighting for something, be it at the top or bottom of the league, to do that.

in reality, this has nothing to do with luton, it has everything to do with the future of football. if three or four teams a year are doing a luton, and they all get the same punishment the entertainment in football will simply drip away. how is a 30 point deduction keeping a level playing field?

League 2 will be an absolute joke this year.

I can see them starting with only 23 teams as I'm not convinced that Rotherham will start the season.

Bournemouth will also almost certainly start with minus 15.

I'm swimming against the tide I think, but I think points fines are absolutely right. We should never again go down the road of having clubs gleefully living beyond their means, to the detriment of the well run clubs who might get relegated because they haven't spunked money they can't afford, only to see the money spunkers emerge unpunished and carrying on where they left off. Yes, it hurts the fans, but what else are you going to do? Hit a club in administration with a cash fine? It has to be made unnattractive for showmen to gamble the future of a club on a big money promotion surge that they can't back up, and I can't think of another way.

I'm swimming against the tide I think, but I think points fines are absolutely right. We should never again go down the road of having clubs gleefully living beyond their means, to the detriment of the well run clubs who might get relegated because they haven't spunked money they can't afford, only to see the money spunkers emerge unpunished and carrying on where they left off. Yes, it hurts the fans, but what else are you going to do? Hit a club in administration with a cash fine? It has to be made unnattractive for showmen to gamble the future of a club on a big money promotion surge that they can't back up, and I can't think of another way.

Does it hit the backer though? TTA could think, you know what...let's gamble and spend more money than we've got...allow the club to accumulate loads of debt...if it pays off we'll make a good deal of it back, and if it doesn't then we'll go...and leave the debt with the future custodians of the club. TTA scarper leaving us in the lurch and having to go back into administration and facing a points fine that could relegate a decimated team.

In a time when most clubs are run by individuals with the sole purpose of either making money or having a hobby on which to spend their many millions, in what way is the prospect of a points deduction after they've packed it in going to hurt?

As someone said above, Leeds deserved what they got as Bates presided over the horrid mess and has come back still in charge at Elland Rd. Luton don't deserve to suffer twice the fate and I'd hope they appeal and the 72 vote to reinstate half the points back.

Does it hit the backer though? TTA could think, you know what...let's gamble and spend more money than we've got...allow the club to accumulate loads of debt...if it pays off we'll make a good deal of it back, and if it doesn't then we'll go...and leave the debt with the future custodians of the club. TTA scarper leaving us in the lurch and having to go back into administration and facing a points fine that could relegate a decimated team.

In a time when most clubs are run by individuals with the sole purpose of either making money or having a hobby on which to spend their many millions, in what way is the prospect of a points deduction after they've packed it in going to hurt?

As someone said above, Leeds deserved what they got as Bates presided over the horrid mess and has come back still in charge at Elland Rd. Luton don't deserve to suffer twice the fate and I'd hope they appeal and the 72 vote to reinstate half the points back.

But then you are hitting every other side that has been financially sensible/not cheated. Let's remember, 10 points were for cheating. 15 points for leaving administration without a CVA, which is being done by this administration, and five further points for it being the third time in next to no time that they have messed up their finances.

I can't see one part of that which is an unfair fine of points.

Luton are continually breaking the rules and to be honest it's hard to have sympathy with any organisation that acts detrimentally to its competition and then cries foul when their actions have repercussions (us included).

I have no problems with points deductions for going into administration as the year before it was brought in Leicester used administration to make some shrewd tranfers moves, had the problem sorted out within a couple of months (Lineker stepped in if i remember rightly) and ended up promoted to the Prem.

Last year the football league set the right precedent by adding on an extra 5 points to Leeds as they didn't leave administration by the football league rules and this year they've set the precedent that because Luton have been in trouble before twice they get an extra five points. This seems a bit harsh as its obvious why Luton are in trouble and part of it is due to other clubs in the league ladder (the entire Greedy League) and its not the fault of the current owners of Luton at all but think of it this way Leeds already have one strike out of three.

The problem with clubs going into administration is it will always be the same sort of clubs and none of those at the top having a problem. For example, Man United's interest payments of thier debt would probably take care of the entire debt of all the clubs in administration but because Man united are marketable worldwide and make a ridiculous profit each year then they can be so far in debt as the banks don't see a problem with lending them money. (Although I wouldn't be so sure in the future with the current economic climate which appears to have hit the Yanks the hardest). Perhaps there should be a point where even if you aren't in administration you can be deducted points for running your club so far into debt.

The agent thing is a slightly different matter. I kinda like the penalty (as I don't like agents) but maybe 10 points is a bit harsh and why are Luton being the first team punished in such a manner. Its obvious the likes of Man U, Bolton, and Pompey have done similar or close to it, otherwise the Beeb wouldn't have risked libel and the coppers wouldn't have arrested Harry. Plus didn't George Graham get banned for brown paper bagging an agent but Arsenal got nothing. Agent corruption is all over the league and if the league as a whole want to get rid of it maybe they should start at the top (instead of what is now 30 points adrift at the bottom) and what a better place to start than the current League Champions who have already been looked at for this before. I say Man U need a 10 point deduction.

Edited by rudemedic