transfer activity

im very impressed. o'grady, whittaker and stephens were wanted by thier clubs, lee and fleming were wanted elsewhere but i cant comment on williams. theyre all also young and should add value on the pitch in future. also we havent yet lost anyone and even if we do we could probably cover the most likely departure in eardley although i really dont want him to leave. all in all i cant see how anyone can really have any complaints, weve got the cliched mix of youth and experience all over the pitch and players aged in their early 20's who were already at the club who are battle hardened like eardley, taylor and davies. even reserve players like smalley and lomax who know what to expect. im also expecting massive things from allessandra this season and i dont believe the pressure matters to him hes got what cant be taught. basicly, i think we should win the league by at least 70 points and score 600 gols in the league alone!!!!!!!!

im very impressed. o'grady, whittaker and stephens were wanted by thier clubs, lee and fleming were wanted elsewhere but i cant comment on williams. theyre all also young and should add value on the pitch in future. also we havent yet lost anyone and even if we do we could probably cover the most likely departure in eardley although i really dont want him to leave. all in all i cant see how anyone can really have any complaints, weve got the cliched mix of youth and experience all over the pitch and players aged in their early 20's who were already at the club who are battle hardened like eardley, taylor and davies. even reserve players like smalley and lomax who know what to expect. im also expecting massive things from allessandra this season and i dont believe the pressure matters to him hes got what cant be taught. basicly, i think we should win the league by at least 70 points and score 600 gols in the league alone!!!!!!!!

I dont think Fleming had much option but to go anywhere else :)

I have to say I have been pleasently surprised at the signings, I think Sheridan was quoted at the back end of last season as saying he would be bringing in quality this year and I took that as we would be signing players in the mould of Greagan/Liddell, eg around mid 30's who have played at a higher level. The signings so far are all fairly young with plenty of potential who we can develop into better players which I think is definitely the way to go. I admire Shez for doing it as these players may not be the finished article who will need time to establish themselves but he has looked at the long term despite him going into what could be his make or break season in the eyes of many.

As I have said in another post the signings suggest we are an atractive proposition for young players who want to develop their careers as we are starting to gain a reputation for giving youth a chance. If our team that we already had last season proved one thing it is that it could beat anyone on its day it just needed the extra players around it to supplement the squad and thats what we have done, and we are looking to the long term stability of the squad aswell which should help.

The only concerns going into this season is the left side as we still look unbalanced yes Lomax is a good left back however as he is right footed he isn't going to bomb past the left winger and get in a good first time cross. Paul Black maybe the answer but he is still unproven as are the new signings to a large extent and the chances are that 1 or 2 might not work out thats just the risk you take when signing anyone.

Overall though their is plenty to be positive about.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Guest oa_exile

The way I read it is that TTA have given Shez yet another tight budget and he has signed players accordingly.

Reserve my judgement until I have seen the new players and what position's and role's Shez has them playing.

the thing with experienced players though is that they want over inflated wages,

dont forget the royle era was based on the signings of warhurst,irwin and barret,and our new lads seem to have the same pedigree and background.

so, HERE WE GO HERE WE GO HERE WE GO.

IMO the key to next seasons success will be the spine of the team and in those positions we have our experienced players, Crossley, Hazell, Gregan, Allott & Hughes. With the younger players like Taylor, Eardley, Smalley & Alessandra having gained experience over the last two seasons in addition to the new signings we should be looking at a successful season.

:mainstand:

At the end of last season, Shez stated that we lacked experienced players. Surprised that most of his signings are inexperienced.

Think he meant we had a lot of young players coming in last season that hadn't played any or very little first-team football, Smalley, Alessandra, Wolfenden etc. The players who have come in are young but have a fair bit of first-team football as well.

We do have experience in the side in Crossley, Gregan, Allott, Liddell, Hughes but many of them missed much of the season. Infact I think Allott was the only player who was fully fit? Crossley was definately not at a 100% for much of the season.

I think we have got a very nice blend in the squad in terms of experience, youth and cover.

Whether the squad is capable of challenging for promotion or not remains to be seen. The start of the season will be crucial IMO. I think it'll take some time for these players to gel properly so we need to get as many points as we can early on, the more the season goes on the better the understanding will be when hopefully we'll be flying, if we've got the points on the board early on there'll be no catch up like there had to be last season.

Before I continue, I do want to state I'm very happy with the signings we've got. BUT....

I am concerned slightly on the lack of experience. I don't buy this list people are stating. Lids will be a bench warmer/squad member this season (or should be) while not sure if Shez will play Crossley in goal. Hope he does and Fleming has to earn his place. Regards Allott and Hazell, yes they've age behind them but don't have the sort of experience like a Charlton had etc...what I mean is experience of a higher level, down at this level. That's the sort I was hoping we'd bring in to add some steel when the going gets tough to complement what Allott and Hazell offer. Thus Gregan for me is the only one that will most likely play all season (fitness permitting) and has the sort of experience we need more of.

There's still time left to get more in, if we can afford to....big problem I know, but then we've brought in young'uns instead...one less for a wiser experienced head would've been more ideal IMO. However, with pre-season starting I'd suggest most are fixed up now. I do think we'll do well, possibly playoffs this time but I fear we could lose the experienced legs again when it counts come March-May and miss out unless we add an older wiser head or two. Plenty of time though....so we'll see...

I have to say, if we can keep a reasonably small injury list, I am looking forward for us to be pushing for automatic promotion. If the new physio can backup his comments on soft tissue injuries, and if we have a bit of luck with avoiding serious injuries, we have a fantastic team on paper.

As with other people on here, I think we need to bring in a couple of left sided players on season long loan. Not because I don't think we have the players that could play those positions, but because I think those players would be better utilised in their natural positions.

Even if that is the end of the signings before the start of the season, I still think Shez and the board have done an outstanding job. I feel better about this season than I have of any since the premier league days.

Really, I would like to pass on my thanks to Shez, TTA, board and everyone involved at Oldham (including the players, new and old) for giving the fans credible hope for the new season and building the foundations for Oldham Athletic to potentially rise again. Hopefully they will read this.

I have to say, if we can keep a reasonably small injury list, I am looking forward for us to be pushing for automatic promotion. If the new physio can backup his comments on soft tissue injuries, and if we have a bit of luck with avoiding serious injuries, we have a fantastic team on paper.

As with other people on here, I think we need to bring in a couple of left sided players on season long loan. Not because I don't think we have the players that could play those positions, but because I think those players would be better utilised in their natural positions.

Even if that is the end of the signings before the start of the season, I still think Shez and the board have done an outstanding job. I feel better about this season than I have of any since the premier league days.

Really, I would like to pass on my thanks to Shez, TTA, board and everyone involved at Oldham (including the players, new and old) for giving the fans credible hope for the new season and building the foundations for Oldham Athletic to potentially rise again. Hopefully they will read this.

i cant agree with you anymore very good point!!!!

defo hope for the fans this year!!!!

ooohhhhhhh johhny johhny B)

Well, with all the disruptions off the field of play, Shez has got on with it, given whoever does all the talking a list players to sign, and by the sounds of it he's got who he's wanted, barring maybe a couple, so far. We're not even into the friendlies yet and we've signed 6 players - possibly making us the most active in League 1, and one of the busiest in the country.

Shez wanted another main striker, and judging by the early timing of O'Grady arriving, it certainly looks as though that was one of the first strikers he went in for. He's brought in another 'keeper, again very early, indicating Greg was higher up on Shez's wish-list.

Very pleased as yet. Whether we've done enough I don't know. Looking at how well we did last year considering the many negative factors, like others have said, if we remain relatively injury-free, or at least not having the spine of the side ripped out for most of the season, we certainly stand a chance. But the challenge for Shez and Tommy is to get them playing well together, and he's already admitted to having 2 poor starts, and he's changed it this year by bringing the lads in a week early.

He's doing everything earlier this year, and it can only help. Still, we need more depth on the left side.

My take is pretty much the consensus of those posted to dated. The signings aren't proven players but, on paper look like they have good potential. As with all groups of potentially good players some will come good some wont. If you're fortunate enough most come good and perhaps exceed normal levels ala the Royle youngsters and we all know what an exciting team with no little ability that outcome produced.

One other thing no one seems to have pointed out though my have picked up on, it seems one David Eyres is behind most these signings!

My take is pretty much the consensus of those posted to dated. The signings aren't proven players but, on paper look like they have good potential. As with all groups of potentially good players some will come good some wont. If you're fortunate enough most come good and perhaps exceed normal levels ala the Royle youngsters and we all know what an exciting team with no little ability that outcome produced.

One other thing no one seems to have pointed out though my have picked up on, it seems one David Eyres is behind most these signings!

I totallly understand the point of Gregan being the spine but I thought our back line looked stronger without him last year only my opinion. Thought Hazell and Stam were solid...

Can you explain why Eyresy is behind the signings??

Can you explain why Eyresy is behind the signings??

He works as a scout/agent I think for Stellar Group who used to be his agents, he's recommended a lot of our new signings Fleming, Buchanan and the lad from Radcliffe, no doubt others as well.

He works as a scout/agent I think for Stellar Group who used to be his agents, he's recommended a lot of our new signings Fleming, Buchanan and the lad from Radcliffe, no doubt others as well.

The players Eyrsey is involved with and brought to Latics are Fleming, Stevens, Lee and Dawson to date that I am aware of. So perhaps saying most our signings is a little OTT, but certainly a fair chunk!

EDIT: Unsure who is Williams agent.

Edited by Lags

Do you mean Stephens of Bury and not Buchanan ?

Before I continue, I do want to state I'm very happy with the signings we've got. BUT....

I am concerned slightly on the lack of experience. I don't buy this list people are stating. Lids will be a bench warmer/squad member this season (or should be) while not sure if Shez will play Crossley in goal. Hope he does and Fleming has to earn his place. Regards Allott and Hazell, yes they've age behind them but don't have the sort of experience like a Charlton had etc...what I mean is experience of a higher level, down at this level. That's the sort I was hoping we'd bring in to add some steel when the going gets tough to complement what Allott and Hazell offer. Thus Gregan for me is the only one that will most likely play all season (fitness permitting) and has the sort of experience we need more of.

There's still time left to get more in, if we can afford to....big problem I know, but then we've brought in young'uns instead...one less for a wiser experienced head would've been more ideal IMO. However, with pre-season starting I'd suggest most are fixed up now. I do think we'll do well, possibly playoffs this time but I fear we could lose the experienced legs again when it counts come March-May and miss out unless we add an older wiser head or two. Plenty of time though....so we'll see...

I think Allott can be counted on to provide 'steel'. He may not have played at a higher level like Gregan but he can't be accused of hiding and he is always leading by example. He pulled us through games last season and I think he will be a good role model for all the young'uns that have come in. I would have liked to see another seasoned pro come in as well but I don't think it's a major problem at the moment but we do need Gregan, Allott, Hazell and Hughes to stay fit or a few bad results may see us lose confidence and fall off the pace. For one thing this season at least we have some squad depth though.

good honest comments here and i cant believe bb80 has allowed lidds on to his bench, he must be gettin soft! either that or gemma got to him

Lol...well he's only on the bench through having to accept he'll still be here next season. Lol....nah, to be honest I even said last season that he could be a useful squad player from the bench. But in behind the front two...never, ever on the wing again for me!