Name your price offer for Smalley

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a big Smalley doubter last season, and obviously those who went to the reserve games raved about him.

But the Carlisle game swung it, he had a blinder, but realistically, how many "Carlisle" performances are we going to see out of him?

I'd say sell him, £300k 20% sell on and a loan option.

Ask yourself this. If we have a relatively good season with injuries, how likely is he to play a decent number of games? He certainly isnt going to get in as a striker, with Hughes, Davies, Ogrady and Lewis all above him in the pecking order. I would also say Liddell and possably Taylor (depending if he is switched or not) is above him there. therefore, 200,000 for someone who will warm the bench every week is a very good bit of business imo. you have to be realistic when pricing players. £500,000 for Dean is not realistic imo

I agree with what you're saying but then another angle in which to look at this the fact that Crewe have just paid 200K for Calvin Zola.

In my book that makes Smalley worth a lot more than 200K, in fact on that scale it makes him nearly priceless.

I was a big Smalley doubter last season, and obviously those who went to the reserve games raved about him.

But the Carlisle game swung it, he had a blinder, but realistically, how many "Carlisle" performances are we going to see out of him?

I'd say sell him, £300k 20% sell on and a loan option.

We got 2 more at Leeds and Everton last year. Lids' legs are going, what would we be able to bring in to replace them both? Taylor looks sure to be on the left so i think we need him or enough money to help TTA's and still be able to bring in some quality

Edited by ritchie82

If Smalley stays fit next season I can see him featuring in a good proportion of games albeit mainly from the bench. He is a useful squad player as he can play on the wing and up front (wing being his best position IMHO) I'm surprised this is the first time he has been linked with a move as most of us on here know how badly he slaughtered Leighton Baines (a highly rated full-back) at Goodison last year. However, I'd be happy to accept £300k plus a sell-on clause and other add-ons for someone who is not quite a first teamer. A cheeky swap for Chris Armstrong might be a good idea as well. If the interest is serious and not just paper talk I can see the move happening, provided Deane can drive as I can't see him leaving Oldham just yet.

We got 2 more at Leeds and Everton last year. Lids' legs are going, what would we be able to bring in to replace them both? Taylor looks sure to be on the left so i think we need him or enough money to help TTA's and still be able to bring in some quality

I don't think Lids has ever had 'the legs' while he's been here. He relies on his ability to deliver a fantastic cross normally the season before straight onto Porter's head.

• 4 weeks later...