God I hate B**** Talbot!

Just reading the Chron tonight about mini-Shez and BT...makes me laugh at who most fans perceive as our worst manager in years...this clown has to be the number 1 worst manager we've ever had IMO (even worse than Sharp)...felt really sorry for Darren Sheridan back then...

"After Ritchie lost his job there followed the brief Mick Wadsworth era, before Iain Dowie took charge. Darren made 72 appearances for the club in total and feels he did enough to earn a contract for another year under new manager Brian Talbot. But things turned sour. Being honest, I feel Brian Talbot stabbed me in the back. He kept telling me how well I was doing then at the end of the season he released me. When you’re doing well for a manager you would hope they’d look after you, but I feel hugely let down by Talbot to say the least."

For me, letting mini-Shez in that summer was the biggest sole decision that produced the season we had under BT. Paul Murray was always leaving, Shez was always retiring so to then let mini-Shez go was a terrible decision and so it proved.

What do you think was BT's worst decision? Spunking the cash (most of the budget) for Arber? Signing David Lee? Answers on a postcard...

On a side note, I didn't realise we play Barrow again this pre-season. But the Chron seems to think it's the first time while both Shez's have been in management...but we played them last preseason when Lewis scored an absolute belter. Shame I can't make it this time now.

Guest sheridans_world

I just read that, its the reserves that are playing Barrow, not the first team and Mini-shez wasnt manager last season when we played them.

As for worst manager, we all know that R. M**re has to be in the top three.

I just read that, its the reserves that are playing Barrow, not the first team and Mini-shez wasnt manager last season when we played them.

As for worst manager, we all know that R. M**re has to be in the top three.

'Tis true...seems Phil Wilson was sacked in November...I thought Shez had been manager since last summer.

Also, what a surprise (not!)...another SW reply to one of my posts that somehow brings up Moore (bizarrely not classed as your worst though, just in the top 3...).....anyway....to go back on topic I would be interested in what you thought was Talbots worst decision.

............ or possibly driving up Oldham Road during a riot in the club Merc :grin:

Lol....I think that was his greatest decision....just a shame about the following...

A spokesman for Oldham Athletic said: "Brian was very shaken up and his car was in a right state. He was told he did not have to come if he did not feel up to it but he insisted on being here."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new...y_poll_mob.html

Guest sheridans_world

It wasnt off topic, you were mentioning worst managers, I mentioned Mr Moore as he fits the bill :grin: . Obviously behind Sharp.

Talbots worst decision, leaving Rushden and Diamonds, he did fairly well with them, did nothing with us. He then went to Oxford and did nothing with them! I think he gave up on England and move to Malta! (Statto?)

Worst player, Mark Arber? Kevin Betsy (lol, anyone remeber that penalty where he got tackled, carried on running then dived 5 feet into the area?) I think he also brought in Guy Branston?

He can be credited with Luke Becketts first spell though I think? Aswell as Alex Bruce and Lee Croft?

So credit to him for Beckett, Bruce and Croft, good win against City and we were a better team than Bolton but ah well...

P.s. Delroy Facey was a Talbot player wasnt he?

droping pogs, because "i have tried everything else, nothing has worked, so the only thing left to do is drop the goalkeeper"

spending all our budget on arber, bonner, jj and rodney jack?

making dean holden captain?

Pretty popular decision at the time IIRC, Holden had been a steady player for several years. I also thought Bonner was a decent player, unfortunate that we got all the loanees in, I don't recall him letting us down when he did play though.

Now Dean Crowe on the other hand... He was GASH!

I think Talbot had the job at a bad time when we couldn't attract players and had to rely on the overpaid uninterested gash that we had left over and several bits of gash that were all he could get in. I'm sure he was dying to get the clean slate that Ronald ended up getting. He didn't do himself any favours in the media though, that's for sure.

Good shout about Holden...he'd become fairly reliable and then just went down the s***ter that season...little coincidence really. That Hull jibe at the fans fast catipulting him out of favour with fans and just losing his whole game.

I suppose SW is right regards slight amount of credit over Beckett. Had he not got him in, I honestly think we'dve gone without a trace. Yeah, Croft too but I always maintain that you need a bit of luck when you take on young loanees...a lot don't work out for whatever reason and Croft was highly unproven. Beckett wasn't, so would've been tougher to get on loan.

PS Facey was a Moore signing.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Good shout about Holden...he'd become fairly reliable and then just went down the s***ter that season...little coincidence really. That Hull jibe at the fans fast catipulting him out of favour with fans and just losing his whole game.

I suppose SW is right regards slight amount of credit over Beckett. Had he not got him in, I honestly think we'dve gone without a trace. Yeah, Croft too but I always maintain that you need a bit of luck when you take on young loanees...a lot don't work out for whatever reason and Croft was highly unproven. Beckett wasn't, so would've been tougher to get on loan.

PS Facey was a Moore signing.

Beckett was signed by Moore, two weeks after his appointment............officially, although the owners had to allow for something after the debacle vs Brentford, (they copped a bit of stick I believe that night and urged to loosen the purse strings a tad), where we looked NAILED ON to go down, panic buy/loan by the powers that be IMO but paid off.)

Edited by oafcprozac

Guest oa_exile
I suppose SW is right

lol :lol: *saved* into my favorites , as a BB80 agreeing post :grin:

*Could be worth a bob or two in years to come* :)

We all know he didnt know the loanees from larry when they came in, and to get KK, Croft and Hughes at that time made Talbot the luckiest git I have evr known... sure he got offered loads of players and pulled the names out of a hat... wasnt complaining at the time, howver he deserved no credit whasoever...

"maybe it is better is we go down - then I could build my own team" - theres your nobhead... thankyou and goodbye....

... also, I dont even put Moore in the same league as Talbot... for me Moore is a tactical mastermind compared to his predassesor... more came with a style he was comfortable with and stuck with it, rightly or wrongly, Talbot honestly didnt have a bloody clue what was going on.... he never knew what he was doing and didnt even have a Plan A... at least Ronnie had that....

"maybe it is better is we go down - then I could build my own team" - theres your nobhead... thankyou and goodbye....

He never said that though, that was Internet messageboard driven hysteria which misquoted and took him out of context. IIRC he was saying that it would have been easier for HIM if we'd gone down and he didn't have to deal with the reality of a squad rich in expensive turds and high expectations, he never said it wouldn't be better for the club. I think he was blaming his squad, which isn't the best thing to do, but he had a point at the same time.

He never said that though, that was Internet messageboard driven hysteria which misquoted and took him out of context. IIRC he was saying that it would have been easier for HIM if we'd gone down and he didn't have to deal with the reality of a squad rich in expensive turds and high expectations, he never said it wouldn't be better for the club. I think he was blaming his squad, which isn't the best thing to do, but he had a point at the same time.

I understand that... however, if he had any clue as to what tactics he wanted to play on the pitch it would have helped, irrespective of what bobbins he had to use, it would have helped.... not too different to what bucko over at vale said when they were going down ... think he said "when you are stranded at sea, you cant choose who is on the raft with you.." its the same thing, however said with a passion to turn it round which Talbot never had....

I honestly look back at Talbot's time with genuine anger... I look back at Moores time with a little bemusement, and a bit of amusement too... you just couldnt describe how bad Talbot was as a whole.... an interesting learning curve when selecting your manager perhaps... and evolution of a squad that took 5 years to develop...

... oh, and i wasnt on any messageboard back then... and I still definitely heard him say it... its an Oldham fact, like Ricketts eats cats and wadsworth spends too much time hanging around the youth team in the showers... :wink:

Releasing Jermaine Johnson, then Moore went a re-signed him not long after!

Sorry, in the context of the thread are you actually saying that releasing Johnson was a bad decision?

.... as you say, only for Ronald to resign him, leading to the infamous Chesterfield clean through on goal falling over incident.....

Guest oa_exile
Not too quickly eh...Prozac's debunked that about Beckett being a BT signing that he deserves credit for :wink:

Prozac is right Ronnie did sign Beckett on loan and what a loan signing it proved to be as Beckett saved our bacon , but I still saved the

lol :lol: *saved* into my favorites , as a BB80 agreeing post :grin:

.........as you dont come across a collectors item like that to often :)

I will pull my tongue out of my cheek ^_^ now :wink:

Far be it for me to stand up for Talbot, but mini shez was rubbish that season and I didn't see many people crying on JK Latics when he was released.

Now if you want to talk about Paul Warnes treatment by the people in charge, now thats a different story of backstabbing and false promises.

Sorry, in the context of the thread are you actually saying that releasing Johnson was a bad decision?

.... as you say, only for Ronald to resign him, leading to the infamous Chesterfield clean through on goal falling over incident.....

Yes, because at the time we had no better....Rodney Jack and John Eyre. JJ was frustrating, but the talent was there....releasing him mid season made no sense to me other than the fact he got injured a couple of times.

Telling Ernie he will not make it as a footballer and allowing him to leave Latics and go to Dale....

Then who was it who scored for Dale to Beat Oxford and send them out of the League when he was still in charge ??

Ernie ...... Justice best served cold :grin:

Yes, because at the time we had no better....Rodney Jack and John Eyre. JJ was frustrating, but the talent was there....releasing him mid season made no sense to me other than the fact he got injured a couple of times.

In a squad where Killen was the top earner (give or take at least), it's no wonder that JJ thought his attitude was acceptable. It really wasn't, he was an insult to everyone Now, whether Mini-Shez was better than John Eyre (or Ernie for that matter) would be another question. All of them battlers who didn't quite have the skill levels for a team looking to get out of the 3rd division, but all of whem you knew would put a shift in even if supposedly better team-mates :censored: out.

Lol....I think that was his greatest decision....just a shame about the following...

A spokesman for Oldham Athletic said: "Brian was very shaken up and his car was in a right state. He was told he did not have to come if he did not feel up to it but he insisted on being here."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new...y_poll_mob.html

From the M.E.N. article:

"More than 6,000 Iraqis turned up at the Sheridan Suite on Oldham Road to vote"

LOL, the writing was on the wall for Talbot and he didn't even know it...