The Five Triallists

Guest oa_exile
Can anyone confirm who the five trialists were who played last night and if they were any good?

No Yantorno/Murray references please if you don't mind. <_<

Cant confirm their names , the Argie left winger was the pick of the bunch , pretty sharpish ,started off well but went missing towards the end of the 1st half (didnt come on in the second).I would like to see him playing with the 1st team.

The "Others" , nowt special.

Cant confirm their names , the Argie left winger was the pick of the bunch , pretty sharpish ,started off well but went missing towards the end of the 1st half (didnt come on in the second).I would like to see him playing with the 1st team.

Colusso?!!?!?

When the ball hits the goal its not Shearer nor Cole its.........

There were a few Argies knocking about the reserves towards the end of last season.....where are they all coming from??

A bunch of fives to whoever replies 'Argentina'.....

The small right winger was comfortable on the ball, good ball control and did't rush a pass. Didn't really get down the flank and didn't show any pace, kinda neat and tidy without contributing to any forward thrust. The lad who played left mid? or old fashioned inside left if you will, certainly had an eye for goal had quite a few pops. His first two hit the wood work! there after he got a little giddy. Forgot to do his defensive duties at time and boy did Abdul need him to!, yes Abdul (the only name I over heard) played left back and I think Abdul will play there again...LEFT BACK. The keeper shouted like a dog barks. There's something there to coach I'd say but dont know his age or whether latics at this point need a player to try coaching the art of goal keeping. Come for everything to the point of over doing it. Dawson, did enough to warrant another look but wasn't outstanding in his display.

There were a few Argies knocking about the reserves towards the end of last season.....where are they all coming from??

A bunch of fives to whoever replies 'Argentina'.....

didn't Corney have a little trip last October to Argentina with the team he plays for !!!! :idea:

didn't Corney have a little trip last October to Argentina with the team he plays for !!!! :idea:

I though that the goalie looked OK and was well worth his place. Not big but very active. Looked to win everything inb the box which at times was a bit ludicrous but as good as those we have had on loan from bigger clubs in the recent past.

Abdul didn't impress me but this was the first game of the season.

THe "inside forward" on the left looked very good to me. Young lad called Garston (?). Well worth his place.

Right wonger looked a bit Paul Ware-ish again he looked OK.

THe youg centre back, looked like a centre back. OK.. he was tall and seemed the part. Again, this would be a big step up for him and he looked at this stage in his career a great prospect.

All in all a good workout. A great pitch. Tidy little ground.

Whitaker looks very very good. Allot ran the shop in the second half.

Dale Stephens looks top class to me. He could walk into a Championship side for my money.

O'Grady looks a handful.

Why do we need an aging pro from Southend???

Why do we need an aging pro from Southend???

:lol:

A brilliant comment to end the summary! Why do we need an 'ageing' pro, who is the same age as mark Allott, who is regarded as one of the best midfielders in the lower league, who has captained his side to two promotions from this god forsaken league... gee, I just cant think!!!

Nah, sod it... lets shove a 19 year old lad in there for the whole season instead of bringing in proven quality, on the basis of a friendly against a pub team, and then when Whitaker and Lee play down the left Allott will be our only senior midfielder! brilliant idea!

Maher will only improve our squad.

Dale Stephens looks top class to me. He could walk into a Championship side for my money.

I thought he looked very much like Steve Gerrard in his demeanour. Jacko and I commented on it last night, we wouldn't be surprised to find out he's his fav player and he's modelled himself around him. Looked promising I must say.

How did Davies do? I know he scored, but what about his overall play?

I'm tipping Davies to be our star man this year. I did with Poter before he got all his goals, and I think davies will get 20 this season.

How did Davies do? I know he scored, but what about his overall play?

I'm tipping Davies to be our star man this year. I did with Poter before he got all his goals, and I think davies will get 20 this season.

Davies looked sharp and quick last night. Didn't really do alot and I would like to see a little more holding the ball up better. However with his pace he's gonna be awesome in the scoring charts I reckon. Said it before, nows the time to sit him down with another extra 2 year contract.

I thought he looked very much like Steve Gerrard in his demeanour. Jacko and I commented on it last night, we wouldn't be surprised to find out he's his fav player and he's modelled himself around him. Looked promising I must say.

The Bury fans have said very similar things about him.

Stephens was the best player in the first half.

O'Grady looks like a beast - his sheer physical presence will be an asset in some matches.

Gaston (left mid) looked ok. Shouldn't think we'll be seeing Abdul again (left back). Right winger has a very good touch, but at 4 foot 10 he needs to be superb and wasn't. Presume the centre half was Dawson - a couple of errors but looked solid. Interesting to see Paul Black at centre half and given the job of marshalling the defence - he did well I thought, definitely a sign that Shez sees him playing a bigger part this season (at left back). I thought the keeper was Josh Bell!!

Second half, Whitaker stood out. Wolfie did some decent work, and Lewis looked good.

Anybody else notice Graeme Sharp there watching his lad?

Stephens was the best player in the first half.

O'Grady looks like a beast - his sheer physical presence will be an asset in some matches.

Gaston (left mid) looked ok. Shouldn't think we'll be seeing Abdul again (left back). Right winger has a very good touch, but at 4 foot 10 he needs to be superb and wasn't. Presume the centre half was Dawson - a couple of errors but looked solid. Interesting to see Paul Black at centre half and given the job of marshalling the defence - he did well I thought, definitely a sign that Shez sees him playing a bigger part this season (at left back). I thought the keeper was Josh Bell!!

Second half, Whitaker stood out. Wolfie did some decent work, and Lewis looked good.

Anybody else notice Graeme Sharp there watching his lad?

Nah Josh bell was the plump fella warming up down the side of the pitch with Fleming during first half! reading all the reports everyone seems to be agreeing on the trialists in the main.

My I add, although probably desrves to go into the Ernie banners thread, a top banner there last night for Ernie, well done that man. Those that took the pics outside the gound any chance we can have a link to them?.

Edited by Lags

The keeper shouted like a dog barks. There's something there to coach I'd say but dont know his age or whether latics at this point need a player to try coaching the art of goal keeping. Come for everything to the point of over doing it.

Why are we looking at another keeper? Surely we are now well covered!

Guest M_OAFC

None of the trialists were outstanding but I thought the centre back, the right winger and the left winger all did enough to warrant a second look. I didn't think much of the keeper or the left back though.

Of the new signings Whittaker impressed the most. We used him in a central midfield playmaker role and he looked good on the ball. Was good at making a yard of space for himself to get his passes away and his passes were good. Had a couple of impressive shots from just outside the box as well and although he's left footed (I think) it was noticeable that he was happy to use both feet.

Fleming had virtually nothing to do, the only incident of note I can remember is a cross that he took well under pressure.

I can't say Stephens particularly stood out for me like it sounds as though he did for some people but he certainly did nothing wrong, likewise O'Grady.

I'm sure we'll learn more about all the signings/trialists if/when we've seen a bit more than 45 minutes from them.