Lookers stand suggestion

Just a suggestion, but how about a row of prefabricated hospitality boxes (similar to those at the corners of the Chaddy end) right across the old Lookers stand section.

A dozen boxes or so would bring in some good extra revenue for Latics, particularly those in the centre with an excellent vantage point.

Sponsors for the boxes could also be gained as a further source of revenue.

The advantage of prefabricated boxes is that they can be erected an taken down quickly as required.

Over to you Mr Hardy.

Edited by BP1960

Haven't we at times struggled to fill the two we already have though?

a couple of seasons ago the average 'joe' could get in the broadway side one for £20 IIRC??

i went in there a couple of times that seaosn and for the money it's a good crack... so they would fill em, but would need facilties though... maybe thats why they haven't bothered??

Just a suggestion, but how about a row of prefabricated hospitality boxes (similar to those at the corners of the Chaddy end) right across the old Lookers stand section.

A dozen boxes or so would bring in some good extra revenue for Latics, particularly those in the centre with an excellent vantage point.

The advantage of prefabricated boxes is that they can be erected an taken down quickly as required.

Over to you Mr Hardy.

They would also keep the draught off those poor souls in the RRE. B)

luton-town-kenilowrth-road-31.jpg

I quite like this idea, if they did go for corporate hospitality boxes like these, if the price was right I'd try and get a few mates together and book one for the season. My mate has one near the half way line at QPR. It's great as he has beer, wine and a buffet delivered to it in the morning so it's a pretty enjoyable way to spend the day. (Especially the time we beat them 2-1 at their place).

Mr Hardy - I think you should look into this. Let's face it, the way the economy is going, that new stand ain't gonna get built any time soon is it?!

This is not the worst idea in the world and should be worth a look especially as it seems that such a measure won't take much more effort and can be removed quite easily, plus it does look like the new stand won't be built for some time. As a former season ticket holder in the broadway side version (plus I used to sit in the ones that were in the main stand back in the day and I've been in the main stand side one once too) I can say it can be worth the extra money if you like staying warm, quite like the idea of a short bar queue but it is not the best place if you want a bit of atmosphere. As you struggle to hear the action (from the fans and the players) so ideal for a mid week game against no-one special in mid winter but for a crunch game against Leeds or a big cup tie I'd prefer to be in the stand singing my heart out.

Over to you Mr Hardy.

I think that's a cracking idea - as i feel this new stand may be a long time in the making..this would tide us over, and i could watch the odd from my old seat to boot!!!

It will also block some of the gale force winds that will be side sweeping the pitch this season!!!

Not going to happen. just guessed the figures, but you will get the idea

Cost to erect it : 30 grand (probably more)

cost per ticket : 25 quid (only five pound more than a standard ticket)

guestimate of capacity in boxes : 100

100 (people) x £5 (profit from tickets) = £500 (total profit per match)

£30,000 (cost of erecting it) / 500 (total profit per match) = 60 (games it would take to simply break even)

It would take close to three full seasons to break even on this, and concidering we are aiming to have the stand up within that time frame, i dont concider this an option. nice idea though

Don't want to rain on anyones parade, but isn't part of the appeal of the Exec boxes that a player or two comes in, or one of the senior team. I might be mistaken but wouldn't it be difficult if they are opposite the main stand. Not that I am claiming epxertise, just throwing the obstacles to overcome.

I quite like this idea, if they did go for corporate hospitality boxes like these, if the price was right I'd try and get a few mates together and book one for the season. My mate has one near the half way line at QPR. It's great as he has beer, wine and a buffet delivered to it in the morning so it's a pretty enjoyable way to spend the day. (Especially the time we beat them 2-1 at their place).

Mr Hardy - I think you should look into this. Let's face it, the way the economy is going, that new stand ain't gonna get built any time soon is it?!

I went in one of the original boxes Mr. Bates built in the main stand once. They were very basic, but warm. The atmosphere though was dire. I guess the glass has to be strong enough to resist a ball being kicked full blast at it, and that also keeps out all the noise.

Over to you Mr Hardy.

Greaty idea, but there would also have to be some sort of catering and bar avaialble, making it probably too expensive. I would be much more in favour of a standing area, but that's not going to happen either.

Not going to happen. just guessed the figures, but you will get the idea

Cost to erect it : 30 grand (probably more)

cost per ticket : 25 quid (only five pound more than a standard ticket)

guestimate of capacity in boxes : 100

100 (people) x £5 (profit from tickets) = £500 (total profit per match)

£30,000 (cost of erecting it) / 500 (total profit per match) = 60 (games it would take to simply break even)

The initial costs could come from sponsors and developers. Whoever provided the prefabricated boxes would surely give a big discount in order to have their name across old Lookers section, so in effect such a scheme would cost Latics little, if anything.

It's quite a lengthy area on that side and possibly more than 100 could be accommodated.

With extra sales of food and drink etc I think we are then talking in terms of making immediate profits.

Edited by BP1960

For one thing, the view from a set of boxes set on the paddock terracing wouldn't be up to much as they wouldn't be high enough to get a proper view. A mate of mine has a box at Bristol Rovers, right on the halfway line. Theirs are boxes for 15 but you watch the game outside on a covered balcony that runs along the fron of all the boxes, 2 rows of 5 seats and 1 row of 5 standing at the back. They have fridges full of beer, wine, mixers and spirits and you just pay for what you drink by invoice. Hot food available too.

You get the full match atmosphere, somewhere warm for pre/post match and half time (and during the match if you're soft) beer without queueing, hot food, and they have blinds they can pull down across the front of the box so you can still nip inside for a drink during the game.

I think it's about 50% dearer than matchday prices, and food is paid on top of that (and beer on top obviously).

I reckon it's not a bad idea. It'd do for your birthday lash-up, or when your mates team are visiting, or lots of other random days out. It wouldn't need to be too fancy either, I'm sure a poor mans version of the other boxes would be perfectly acceptable - pies, burgers and so on*, except no queues and adequate supplies, and a decent beer fridge would see most of us right.

*I will take the first booking if AH can arrange the piegirl formally known as the Lookers piegirl to be on duty :wub: