Demar Phillips

jj plays the role of a striker, maybe also right midfield.. a right midfield player should be encouraged to attack and therefore it maybe shouldn't be his responsibility to tackle.. heading isnt overly important in this position as the ball should be delivered to the player's feet..

Goodness. Do you honestly believe that a wide player doesn't have responsibility to go back and at least pressure the other lot when he doesn't have the ball? I don't think many right backs would like having you for a manager. As for heading, erm, what is a wide player meant to do when the ball is wide on the other side? And if you are a wide player who refuses to track back, isn't there a fair chance that the ball is going to come to you via a long hoof as you stand there with your hands on your hips in the far right corner of the field? Controlling it with your head might be the only option, assuming you haven't been too :censored:ing lazy to even be bothered to walk back into an onside position.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodness. Do you honestly believe that a wide player doesn't have responsibility to go back and at least pressure the other lot when he doesn't have the ball? I don't think many right backs would like having you for a manager. As for heading, erm, what is a wide player meant to do when the ball is wide on the other side? And if you are a wide player who refuses to track back, isn't there a fair chance that the ball is going to come to you via a long hoof as you stand there with your hands on your hips in the far right corner of the field? Controlling it with your head might be the only option, assuming you haven't been too :censored:ing lazy to even be bothered to walk back into an onside position.

if the team was playing in the correct way "a long hoof" wouldn't occur in play.. i havent said that heading and pressuring are irrelevant to this role but i dont think they are the most important attributes required for a player in this position.. perhaps we have different mentalities?

if the team was playing in the correct way "a long hoof" wouldn't occur in play.. i havent said that heading and pressuring are irrelevant to this role but i dont think they are the most important attributes required for a player in this position.. perhaps we have different mentalities?

I would agree with you if JJ showed any end product but all he could do is run with the ball past several players and then waste it. His passing was terrible and his shooting was worse. Therefore his lack of defensive game or general teamwork makes him a liability and generally a crap player.

Apart from his passing, shooting, tackling and general motivation, JJ is an excellent player

i wouldnt question the general motivation of a player.. also jj plays in the championship.. this would suggest his motivation has led to him furthering his career at a better club than latics.. like i have said i dont think tackling is overly important for a player like jermaine johnson.. i have to say his shooting is not good tho he is a scorer of good goals and i cant find a problem with his passing.. also he can run at players and beat them very well

Perhaps we do. But it might be about proportionalities. If Diego Maradona in his prime signed for Oldham in the third division, I would happily play a 7 man midfield and give him free rein to do as he pleased. If, on the other hand, I had a waster like JJ, on the evidence I saw I would drop him and pick a bucket of rotten fish in his place. You are very misguided if you think I don't like attacking players or attacking football - perhaps I do like clever passing in the middle more than speedy wide play, but I like them both - it's just that JJ didn't show enough attacking ability for us across his games to justify his place even if he did his share of the work, never mind getting special allowance to be a lazy :censored:. I'm :censored: at football, but I can put my foot through a ball harder than most. Maybe one in a thousand really work for me, one in one hundred work for him. Give me the ball 1000 times in a season and I might just produce a champagne moment, but I would be frig all use for the rest of it (although I would at least kick people as they passed). Mark Allott would score more than JJ from the same number of wild shots, but instead he passes to a teammate who is involved in a passing move and may have a better chance or be able in turn to pass to someone with a better chance. To me, that is good attacking football.

I would agree with you if JJ showed any end product but all he could do is run with the ball past several players and then waste it. His passing was terrible and his shooting was worse. Therefore his lack of defensive game or general teamwork makes him a liability and generally a crap player.

i really cant say jj is a "crap player".. he plays in a higher league than league 1 so if you believe this you must think all players in league 1 are "crap players" or greater words to this effect.. i think jj offers a team so much through his creativity and we have to remember that not every player is the complete player and so defensive qualities may not be apparent in all players.. i dont share the idea his passing is bad tho i agree his finishing is poor more often than not.. though he scores a really good goal from time to time

i really cant say jj is a "crap player".. he plays in a higher league than league 1 so if you believe this you must think all players in league 1 are "crap players" or greater words to this effect.. i think jj offers a team so much through his creativity and we have to remember that not every player is the complete player and so defensive qualities may not be apparent in all players.. i dont share the idea his passing is bad tho i agree his finishing is poor more often than not.. though he scores a really good goal from time to time

How can you rate JJ's passing? Do you want to know how I rate Stephen Hawking's Irish dancing skills, or the odds I would give on the last unicorn I saw being ridden by a leprechaun winning the Grand National?

Perhaps we do. But it might be about proportionalities. If Diego Maradona in his prime signed for Oldham in the third division, I would happily play a 7 man midfield and give him free rein to do as he pleased. If, on the other hand, I had a waster like JJ, on the evidence I saw I would drop him and pick a bucket of rotten fish in his place. You are very misguided if you think I don't like attacking players or attacking football - perhaps I do like clever passing in the middle more than speedy wide play, but I like them both - it's just that JJ didn't show enough attacking ability for us across his games to justify his place even if he did his share of the work, never mind getting special allowance to be a lazy :censored:. I'm :censored: at football, but I can put my foot through a ball harder than most. Maybe one in a thousand really work for me, one in one hundred work for him. Give me the ball 1000 times in a season and I might just produce a champagne moment, but I would be frig all use for the rest of it (although I would at least kick people as they passed). Mark Allott would score more than JJ from the same number of wild shots, but instead he passes to a teammate who is involved in a passing move and may have a better chance or be able in turn to pass to someone with a better chance. To me, that is good attacking football.

for me mark allott loses the ball more often than he uses it well and jj can help his team to be in an attacking position more than mark allott.. i dont really think a comparison between yourself and jj is relevant and to "put your foot through the ball harder than most" seems an uneccesary quality.. tho to talk of you or me in this post is useless cause im :censored: at football too... also i am not making a judgement of your footballing ideas.. i dont have enough evidence to do this but i think jj has much to offer a team in an attacking respect.. this is where our opinions clash and neither of us are likely to change our minds i have to say.. for me there is much evidence to suggest jj is a really good player

How can you rate JJ's passing? Do you want to know how I rate Stephen Hawking's Irish dancing skills, or the odds I would give on the last unicorn I saw being ridden by a leprechaun winning the Grand National?

haha.. i dont think there is a problem with jjs passing.. maybe he is sometimes too quick for his team and so they cannot meet his passes? .. also he has the ability to beat defenders, creating time and space fo him to deliver a pass or to shoot.. tho i have to admit it is mostly neccesary for jj to have time and space to shoot correctly.. this is one of the weaker aspects of his game

I wouldn't use that as the benchmark. Michael Clegg played for Manchester United in the Champions League. Move on.

Not exactly the same thing is it, one played a couple of games a season in the big league before falling down the leagues while another has moved for decent money after leaving the big league and is preforming well in a higher division and has plenty of interest from higher league clubs.

Not exactly the same thing is it, one played a couple of games a season in the big league before falling down the leagues while another has moved for decent money after leaving the big league and is preforming well in a higher division and has plenty of interest from higher league clubs.

And Calvin Zola is worth £200k. We live in strange times.

And Calvin Zola is worth £200k. We live in strange times.

To be fair though its not like we have all been religiously watching Calvin Zola week in week out since he has left us has it? A long shot i know but maybe the guy has actually developed as a footballer since we had him on loan!

To be fair though its not like we have all been religiously watching Calvin Zola week in week out since he has left us has it? A long shot i know but maybe the guy has actually developed as a footballer since we had him on loan!

Although his five goals a season suggest otherwise

If that isn't enough proof his lame efforts against us prove it for me. A massive gamble.

I may be wrong but I thought he spent most of last season on the bench at Tranmere

If this lad gets signed up and is consistently good, it mixes the whole pot up again. Taylor to right wing? Taylor to right back with Eardley central? Wing backs? I'm not sure his signing would be great for Liddell's chances of a regular start one way or another, given his best chance would be a move inside into what looks a very congested area already.

we can certainly not compare phillips to JJ

Phillips is a better playerr and isnt lazy, well what we saw from today. I Carnt remember a trialist getting a standing ovation when he was coming off. he is class.

Edited by LaticsLee

Phillips is a better playerr and isnt lazy, well what we saw from today. I Carnt remember a trialist getting a standing ovation when he was coming off. he is class.

He wasn't class but he'd be worth a deal definately.

I remember a trialist getting a standing ovation.

Ernie @ Rochdale.

Legend.

haha.. i dont think there is a problem with jjs passing.. maybe he is sometimes too quick for his team and so they cannot meet his passes? .. also he has the ability to beat defenders, creating time and space fo him to deliver a pass or to shoot.. tho i have to admit it is mostly neccesary for jj to have time and space to shoot correctly.. this is one of the weaker aspects of his game

Yeah, exactly.... JJ was like that Crap kid at school who thought he was good... he whacks it into the stands and then shouts at the nearest guy "where were you...!"... Lees has very effectively portrayed my views excatly on the subject... although he said all the facts with one of his earliest statements... what was it... oh yeah...

JJ was :censored:ing gash

Anyway... this new lad sounds decent! and sounds as if he beat a few games and had 1 decent shot on target - which he meant... meaning he has already broken JJ's season long record....