Ernieflag on Tour

Anyone who went to Rhyl on Wednesday will no doubt have seen the new flag that a group of us have had made in memory of Ernie.

Nine Latics fans, the majority of us regular posters on this forum, have clubbed together to buy a ten foot flag as can be seen below.

We have bought this to keep the memory of Ernie alive but also to try and promote the fight against skin cancer.

To this end we have set up a website

www.ernieflag.co.uk

The concept behind the flag is that we will take it to every game Oldham play this season and on top of that to every England international that does not clash.

We hope to be able to generate publicity and are going to request that each club we visit put a small article in their programme explaining what the flag is for and promoting the website.

The website contains an article about Ernie, a piece on Malignant Melanoma (including links to two charities fighting against the cancer) and the story of the first leg of the ‘Ernieflag Tour’.

We shall be updating it after each leg of the tour and will be putting a gallery on showing pictures of the flag at every ground.

While the website is clearly written from a Latics point of view, we feel that it will be of interest to football fans in general and will give other fans an idea of what it is like to follow Oldham Athletic.

I hope you enjoy the site. Clearly, we are not website experts but I don’t think it looks too bad. Please feel free to follow our progress over the season. I’m sure most of you will end up on there at some point during the year.

If you know of anyone else who may find this interesting, please point them in our direction and if you have any comments about how we can improve the website, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Anyone who went to Rhyl on Wednesday will no doubt have seen the new flag that a group of us have had made in memory of Ernie.

Nine Latics fans, the majority of us regular posters on this forum, have clubbed together to buy a ten foot flag as can be seen below.

We have bought this to keep the memory of Ernie alive but also to try and promote the fight against skin cancer.

To this end we have set up a website

www.ernieflag.co.uk

The concept behind the flag is that we will take it to every game Oldham play this season and on top of that to every England international that does not clash.

We hope to be able to generate publicity and are going to request that each club we visit put a small article in their programme explaining what the flag is for and promoting the website.

The website contains an article about Ernie, a piece on Malignant Melanoma (including links to two charities fighting against the cancer) and the story of the first leg of the ‘Ernieflag Tour’.

We shall be updating it after each leg of the tour and will be putting a gallery on showing pictures of the flag at every ground.

While the website is clearly written from a Latics point of view, we feel that it will be of interest to football fans in general and will give other fans an idea of what it is like to follow Oldham Athletic.

I hope you enjoy the site. Clearly, we are not website experts but I don’t think it looks too bad. Please feel free to follow our progress over the season. I’m sure most of you will end up on there at some point during the year.

If you know of anyone else who may find this interesting, please point them in our direction and if you have any comments about how we can improve the website, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

top effort people :)

I wondered what became of the sheep which the Wrexham fans had in the Isle of Man in '97.

510891866_2aa7851878.jpg

I was pleased to see that Bessie, living in the gents in the Millbank pub, Rhyl, was clearly one of her offspring.

enhancing%20their%20reputation.jpg

Superb effort so proud of you all.

Do Diego & Mrs Sideburns plan to be on EVERY Flag Tour pickie this season ? :lol:

We're not on the one which didn't turn out, due to technological constraints, but was then substituted with the help of technical wizardry. To be on at least one picture at each match is a challenge and I like challenges. :grin:

Guest oa_exile
We're not on the one which didn't turn out, due to technological constraints, but was then substituted with the help of technical wizardry. To be on at least one picture at each match is a challenge and I like challenges. :grin:

You are on them both mate , you with blue coat & Mrs S with a Latics tangerine shirt one :blink:

You are on them both mate , you with blue coat & Mrs S with a Latics tangerine shirt one :blink:

For the avoidance of doubt, that's the picture in front of the Cleethorpes sign. We are not on the picture outside GTFC official entrance.

P.S. Didn't notice your mate John Eyres today. :wink:

Guest oa_exile
For the avoidance of doubt, that's the picture in front of the Cleethorpes sign. We are not on the picture outside GTFC official entrance.

P.S. Didn't notice your mate John Eyres today. :wink:

Ah ! , now I see , BTW was Lee Sharp there ? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

From Saturday's rarely read MEN:

Flag raised for Ernie

2/ 8/2008

THE Carling Cup match between Rochdale and Oldham Athletic on Tuesday 12 August will see the visit to Spotland of a special flag dedicated to the memory of the late Ernie Cooksey.

The flag belongs to a group of Oldham fans who had it made in memory of Ernie, the former Latics and Dale player, who died tragically in July 2008 at the age of 28. Despite playing just one season for Oldham Athletic, the Latics fans regard him as a legend due to his unique enthusiasm and commitment.

Ernie died less than a month before the birth of his only child, after contracting Malignant Melanoma, a severe form of skin cancer which is diagnosed in over 8,000 people in the UK each year.

The flag is to be taken to every Oldham game this season and a number of other events, both in memory of a player who never gave less than 100 per cent, and also to promote the fight against the cancer which killed him.

To find out more about Ernie, Malignant Melanoma and to donate to the fight against it, visit www.ernieflag.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

I have custody of the Flag at the moment. Mrs Sideburns has done a good job getting most of last night's rain out of it in the spin dryer. It looks great on the washing line at the moment in some rare sunshine. We live next door to Derby fans and we're taking it to Alfreton Town tonight to watch the Ressies play Derby in the Central League Cup.

It will be at Tranmoore on Saturday and then it goes to Croatia for Ernie to work a miracle with the England team. :pray: I reckon in Jimmy Bullard we have someone to keep the Ernie spirit going. :England:

Reason for edit: Dropped a Bullock!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Not just a friend - inbred ex-plastic Latics player. BULLOCKS!!! :blush:

Speaking of Bullard, I saw him turn up before our game with them in 2003, driving a Jaguar XJ220 sports car. Valued at aroud 150k. It was then that I knew Wigan were clearly not messing around with wages etc. Bullard would have been about 22 at the time :huh:

Just to keep everyone up to date, sorry we have not updated the site for the trip to Colchester. It will be on by the end of the week but due to the amount of time that has been taken up with the aftermath of the Lee situation on Saturday, it has had to take a back seat.

Thanks everyone for your continued support.

• 1 month later...