England cricket.

Is in a sad state of affairs!

Im sick to death of the way this country is going regarding cricket, IMO we have gone backwards under Moores, Struggle against NZ and barely worrying SA so far is pathetic,

Aussie will walk all over us.

I mean bringing in players like Patingson when Harmison and Tremlett are waiting

Its a joke.

Is in a sad state of affairs!

Im sick to death of the way this country is going regarding cricket, IMO we have gone backwards under Moores, Struggle against NZ and barely worrying SA so far is pathetic,

Aussie will walk all over us.

I mean bringing in players like Patingson when Harmison and Tremlett are waiting

Its a joke.

Dont think your being fair, granted 2nd test has been a major cock up but the 1st test we was on top for most the match and you say we struggled against NZ but they arent a bad side and we beat them!

Dont think your being fair, granted 2nd test has been a major cock up but the 1st test we was on top for most the match and you say we struggled against NZ but they arent a bad side and we beat them!

Yeah, and Peterson/Bell were sublime in that first test. IMO we let SA off the hook big time there. We didn't disgrace ourselves though, by any means.

Just a couple of bad/iffy selections for this test affected us. And don't forget, SA are 2nd in the world behind the Aussies too so they and ain't no pushovers. NZ are one of the best one day teams you can get too.

I think we're in a better state than we were a couple of years back during the ashes abomination down under. Flintoff needs his batting form back, and perhaps someone like Jones returning could see us step up a notch or two again.

I would agree completely with that - has Jones played for England in a test since the ashes win in 2003? He was sensational then, with so much reverse swing. I know he has had is injury problems, but I would be looking to get him back in the team asap.

The main problem England have is inconsistency. There are some excellent players in that team, which when playing well, have the ability to win against the best - just look at the first test against SA - had them on the ropes, but again inconsistency creeps in and SA are able to bat out for two days!!!

I would agree completely with that - has Jones played for England in a test since the ashes win in 2003? He was sensational then, with so much reverse swing. I know he has had is injury problems, but I would be looking to get him back in the team asap.

The main problem England have is inconsistency. There are some excellent players in that team, which when playing well, have the ability to win against the best - just look at the first test against SA - had them on the ropes, but again inconsistency creeps in and SA are able to bat out for two days!!!

Too many players that wont put up a fight and just give their wickets away like they are playing in a Charity game.

Vaughan is gash these days I'd fancy bowling him out at the minute.

Only plus point to come out of that match was Broads batting.

Too many players that wont put up a fight and just give their wickets away like they are playing in a Charity game.

Vaughan is gash these days I'd fancy bowling him out at the minute.

Only plus point to come out of that match was Broads batting.

Broad has showed a lot of fight and bottle since he came into the team with both bat and ball, I like him a lot. Our higher up batsmen were surrendering without a whimper in the OT Test this summer until he came in and turned the game around, and he recovered well from being landed for 6 sixes earlier on.

Jones is also a cracking player and by all accounts has looked very sharp for the Welsh, but we can’t pin our hopes on a guy who had only really broken through in that Ashes series and has been out ever since. I love his attitude, he was right up for giving it to the Aussies, not backing off them one inch.

I doubt Pattinson will ever be seen again. Picked for the Headingley pitch and did nowt much on it, that’s his lot. I wish we’d pick a wicketkeeper on the basis of his ability to catch rather than a supposed ability to bat, the number of times a dropped catch has cost us hundreds more than makes up for someone averaging 10 or 20 more per innings, a really good keeper will save a lot of that through reducing extras anyway. The lad Read did nothing wrong that I saw.

I doubt Pattinson will ever be seen again. Picked for the Headingley pitch and did nowt much on it, that’s his lot. I wish we’d pick a wicketkeeper on the basis of his ability to catch rather than a supposed ability to bat, the number of times a dropped catch has cost us hundreds more than makes up for someone averaging 10 or 20 more per innings, a really good keeper will save a lot of that through reducing extras anyway. The lad Read did nothing wrong that I saw.

I can't think we'll drop Broad in a month of Sunday's. He is consistantly improving as both a batsman and a bowler. I'd have rid of Ickle Jimmy before him and he's showing similar improvement of recent. I agree we probably won't see Pattinson again, but would guess that Tremlett is probably ahead of Jones. I'd rather Jones had pretty much a full season behind him before launching him into the full international scene again.

If we are picking a wicketkeeper on wicketkeeper ability, we pick James Foster as far as I'm concerned (he looks a completely different keeper to his early career). He's shown an improvement in his batting, but is still not of a good enough standard for a WK/Batsman. But if we want a batsman in there then Prior has gone run-crazy and should surely be recalled.

But he can't catch a cricket ball! The other lad at Sussex is a far better keeper than him.

That'll be the 'if' :rolleyes:

I agree he isn't the best of wicketkeepers, but he is probably fairly near to a recall off his batting alone anyway. I think 'he can't catch a cricket ball' is a bit harsh - but he certainly isn't right good in that area. Obviously Sussex agree with you as Andy Hodd is in there all the time now.

Personally I like the idea of a wicketkeeper before a batsman in there - but it does require an ability for the team to bat a long way down (or even remotely well at the top of the order). Something we don't really have when we are carrying a few eleventh batsmen and Collingwood and Vaughan.