Who was our worst manager in your opinion?

Tommy_Fent

Who was our Worst Manager?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Who was our Worst Manager?

• Brian Talbot
    • Greame Sharp
    • Ronnie Moore
    • Neil Warnock
    • Other

Mick Wadsworth 100 per cent.

Regardless of what Chris Moore ended up doing, when Wadsworth took over we had a shot at the big time. Probably our only shot. And he spunked it big time.

PS - I am amazed that some people still spell Sharp's surname with an 'e' on the end.

Edited by Guernica

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick Wadsworth 100 per cent.

Regardless of what Chris Moore ended up doing, when Wadsworth took over we had a shot at the big time. Probably our only shot. And he spunked it big time.

PS - I am amazed that some people still spell Sharp's surname with an 'e' on the end.

torquay away october 2004

dean holden right wing?

david eyres left back?

sorry its got to be talbot for me

pathetic if im honest

Sharp. One could argue that none of the others would have been a factor if there had been some commitment, intelligence, dedication and vision at that time. Who knows...

All speculation.

As I said in the other post on this... it is lunacy to suggest that Ronnie was the worst manager we have had... he had a plan A, which although was ugly and didnt take advantage of wellens - our best player, was a plan.... as has been said, both Talbot and sharpe didnt have a sodding clue what they were doing.... Ronnie got a fair percentage of decent results with his tactics, the only decent results Sharpe and talbot got were pure flukes....

Its also worth noting who is still in management... I know it was with the biased dippers, however Ronnie is still working, Talbot fell like a stone to whatever maltese girls team he is currently managing, and sharpe buggered off from mangement quicker than we dropped divisions... for me that shows in itself that Moore is a decent manager at our level... not for us in a million years, but he will always have a job somewhere...

I always gave Sharp the benefit after he was told to get rid of the big Prem. earners etc. But you bring up a good point by saying that about who's still in football management.

But Ronnie will always be hated by many for his poor relationship with the fans and his tactless comments about us.

Guest M_OAFC
Didn't Stitch have his fair share of extremist outers at one point as well?

Well I wasn't sorry to see the back of him put it that way. Fantastic player, great bloke, terrible manager. I know he was working in difficult circumstances in terms of finances etc but even allowing for that his cult status with the fans papered over the failings of his tenure for me. Had any other manager presided over some of the things Ritchie did he'd have been slated and it pains me to say I'd have voted for him in this poll had he been an option. I think he's a better manager now having wised up to the naiveity of some of the ideals he pursued with us but I still wouldn't fancy him back. I much prefer to remember some of the magical moments he gave us as a player for which he remains a legend in my eyes.

Suggestions of Stitch are odd - he had rock all money and a board without any form of ambition. Good job under the circumstances. Wads had half a season, so suggestions of him are even more absurd. Sharp was garbage, but again his hands were tied. The worst of all has to be Ronniesaurus - he was backed to the hilt with huge investment and was able to sign a whole new team of his choice, and we were still nowhere near the play offs, let alone promotion. I never bought that "season of progression" crap and seemingly neither did TTA. Moore blew the family silver and treated the fans with contempt.

Edited by slurms mckenzie

Of the Playoff team, Porter and Wellens were the two "gems" and they were Ronnie's signings.

To be honest, the way the fans delt with Ronnie was much worse than the other way around.

Edited by pukka

Anyone who votes Moore is wrong - cant understand why someone would vote for him.

I voted Sharp.

buys 11 players at start of season and nearly everyone of them was kack

how kack is that?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraham Sharp. He knew how to put the ball in the net. Didnt have the first idea of how to handle first team affairs..... All the others had opportunities to shine at other clubs ... even Wadsworth ... but not him .... right to Century and other media work where his opinion simply ....Stinks

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraham Sharp. He knew how to put the ball in the net. Didnt have the first idea of how to handle first team affairs..... All the others had opportunities to shine at other clubs ... even Wadsworth ... but not him .... right to Century and other media work where his opinion simply ....Stinks

You make a very good point! Although wasnt he involved with some welsh team for a little while ?

You make a very good point! Although wasnt he involved with some welsh team for a little while ?

If he was he kept it very quiet ...... Are they languishing on the edge of extinction?. He makes Talbot look like Scolari.

Sharp. Absolutely clueless. I seem to recall most of his early signings were Everton related (as that's all he really knew). He did get a decent chunk of money for Gerrard and was allowed to spend a fair whack in return. Players he brought in were nowhere near the standard of those he was releasing/selling.

What he spouts on his radio phone in with Mickey Thomas and co, as well as his public slagging towards us in his book does him no favours either.

Sharp gets my vote, it was dire under his charge. We may not have been premiership class, but we were and should have been a mid table championship team. I read a couple of pages from his book and I got the impression he regretted coming to Boundary Park entirely. In some ways I not only blame Ian Stott, but also Joe Royle for giving us Sharp, if I am right in recalling it was Royle who gave Sharp the glowing thumbs up to Stott over Ritchie.

Edited by 3 Lions

If he was he kept it very quiet ...... Are they languishing on the edge of extinction?. He makes Talbot look like Scolari.

Bangor City for one season :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Sharp

This shows why he was our worse manager ever....

When Joe Royle quit as Oldham manager to take over at Everton in November 1994, Sharp took over as player-manager at Boundary Park and they finished in midtable in 1994-95 - a disappointing showing for a side who had retained all but one of their key players (Mike Milligan) from the side that had been relegated from the Premier League and reached an FA Cup semi-final. Further disappointment came in 1995-96 when Oldham finished 18th, and Sharp finally walked in March of 1996-97 with Oldham struggling in the relegation places. He then spent a season as manager of Bangor City in the League of Wales.

A slow and steady decline from what was a resonably good side!

Edited by oafc0000

Guest oa_exile
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraham Sharp.

PS - I am amazed that some people still spell Sharp's forename as Graham

:grin:

buys 11 players at start of season and nearly everyone of them was kack

how kack is that?

Porter, Wellens, Warne, Liddell, Beckett - wouldn't say they were Kack. I'm not saying Ronnie was the best manager, but to say "nearly everyone of them was kack" is unfair.

Sharp is by far are worse manager... I accept the argument he had no money but year after year the club went backward...it was possible to stop the rot be he faild to do this...

Brian Talbot is next... Nothing good came out of his time here....lucky not to go down!

Warnock.... Cant be blamed for the relegation we was pritty much doomed when he took over. Stablised the club following year and could of moved us forward if we had some money

Ronnie..... saved from relegation, finished 10th next year....only an idiot would vote him are worse manager ever.....

I'd have to agree with all those points. Does anyone remeber those jokers we had in charge on a temp basis, Eyres and Sheridan?

My impression was that Sharp had to get rid of the squad asap because we were losing money hand over fist. Talbot was given the support of the new owners/investors.

Still, tactically, not a lot in it. Charisma - not a lot in it as neither had any but Sharp was an ignorant git, which gives Talbot the edge.

It does make you think about Ronnie Moore - crap, but not half as bad as those two. Dare I say it, he even had a little more character than both of them put together. Yes, he's had a dig, but I get the impression he loves the banter and having a wind up/crack.

I think part of the problem with Ronnie was that he was serving up awful football, with a good pool of players. I think this led to the crowds frustration. Certainly mine, you could see that team had potential to do really well but i couldnt see it ever fulfilling the potential under Ronnie (IMO that is). True he could grind out some results, but sometimes I got the impression it was more the down to the fact that we had good enough players to get results over some teams rather than his tactics. People say he kept us up, saved us from relegation, I would argue that maybe Luke Beckett was the man who did that.

I did vote for Ronnie in the poll but I think I have been a bit hasty. No he wasnt the worst manager Sharp and Talbot would beat him to that accolade, however he has been the most frustrating in recent history, as he did not manage to get the best out of a team which promised so much. Maybe the reason so many wanted him out because they could see a better manager could acheive with those players.

My impression was that Sharp had to get rid of the squad asap because we were losing money hand over fist. Talbot was given the support of the new owners/investors.

Whoops, wrong thread

Edited by leeslover

So that's it then it's fact, Ronnie was a good manager............... LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Did he say that? Have you read the post?

In fact he started the Ronnie part (and I quote) "It does make you think about Ronnie Moore - crap"

Yours is a Typical response on here, to just assume if someone doesn't agree entirely with you, they have a complete polar opposite point of view.