Who was our worst manager in your opinion?

Tommy_Fent

Who was our Worst Manager?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Who was our Worst Manager?

• Brian Talbot
    • Greame Sharp
    • Ronnie Moore
    • Neil Warnock
    • Other

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he say that? Have you read the post?

In fact he started the Ronnie part (and I quote) "It does make you think about Ronnie Moore - crap"

Yours is a Typical response on here, to just assume if someone doesn't agree entirely with you, they have a complete polar opposite point of view.

Just following suit mate having been called an idiot over my opinion.

Maybe I should re-phrase............ Ronnie Moore not the worst manager, LMAO!!

Just following suit mate having been called an idiot over my opinion.

Maybe I should re-phrase............ Ronnie Moore not the worst manager, LMAO!!

Thats more accurate and I would go for Sharp over Moore as our worst manager everytime.

Poor football and am glad to see the back of Moore, but he still is in charge of a team in the same league as ours. Plus he signed Wellens, Porter, Warne, Liddell and Beckett so he doesn't deserve the worst manager title. That goes to Graeme Sharp, should never have been considered for that role he even said in his autobiography he didn't really want it. We kept taking backward step after backward step playing poor uninspiring football and the players seemed to look like they wanted to be anywhere else but playing for him.

I went for Sharp. By far and away the worst manager we had and a sickeningly awful appointment from the off. Things could have been so much different if the club would have actually got the right man at that point in time. We'd just been relegated from the infant Premier League, and had a lot of players on long, lucrative contracts. Cloth had to be cut but most importantly, we should have got a tried and tested wheeler-dealer. IMO, and I'll probably get shot down for this, but someone like Warnock would have put us in far better shape had he come in as soon as Joe left. He was pretty bad for us but he arrived too late (we were very much on a downer when he arrived). One thing you cannot argue is Colin's track record with just about every club except us.

For Ronnie, it was simply a wrong club for someone like him. He was in his pomp with Rovrum, but football had moved on since then. The hugely successful clubs in our division just before he arrived were tight, robust units, who play decent football. When he took Rovrum up (nearly ten years ago), "hump it forward" was more common. He didn't really staff up correctly when he did arrive too. Yes, for every Wellens, Warne and Porter there was equally as many bad players who didn't come cheap. He got us to just outside the play offs in his first full season, but with the resources that we had against teams like Colchester, Barnsley and Southend should have seen us among the contenders. A woefully weak promotion pack IMO.

It gets me thinking about that season too. Dreadfully abject performances and points thrown away... like being 2-0 up at Huddersfield to lose 2-3. The 1-1 draw away to the lowest ranking team ever to make the FA Cup proper rounds. Soft, meek home defeats to Brentford, Doncaster, Rotherham and Bastard Franchise Scum... all these punctuated by about 2 fantastic performances all season. In short, pretty awful to watch.

But Sharp should win a poll like this at a canter. Worst manager ever, not biggest underachiever ever.

Ronnie was an equally bad appointment for different reasons that couldn't have been forseen. His relationship with the supporters was the worst by a mile as he didn't really want to be at BP from the start and his brand of hoofball was not pretty was it.

An enjoyable read...and glad that senses haven't left 3/4 of our support...I voted for BT (obviously) as I felt Sharp was a bit of a scapegoat (bit like Ronnie after BT) for what proceeded.

Only thing I'd add though is about the above line..."he didn't really want to be at BP"...it's just the most pathetic pissy comment that comes out about him. If that was so, I very much doubt he would've come. And in the early days, coming to a relegation battle, coming to a club where he had to take the players off the training pitch coz they were squabbling like bitches. Oh...and coming to a club who went for a knees-up in Ibiza (personally I loved it but)...a pre-season schedule Moore strongly disagreed with but had to accept or Playhard Sports was to sue us (even the club admitted they contractually had to oblige.) Ideal eh!

By September fans were at his throat...when we're up the top end of the table. October...his dads dying off the pitch while by the side of it fans are calling him a :censored: from the main stand/paddock. I expect he became extremely bitter about the whole job...I would! Most in their right mind would! Maybe then....he "really didn't want to be at BP!"

Edited by boundaryblue80

I predicted your post before I read it BP.......AS EVER Ross your opinion carries more weight than anyone who dares to besmirch Senior Moore. I was delighted when Moore became manager because I believed we would have a bit of grit and push under his managership however his attitude to fans ALL fans that is was evident from the start that he had come for the contract above all else and IF another job had been available he wouldn't have given us a 2nd thought. Of course I hated the brand of football and more importantly the tactical ineptitude he became infamous for but an underachiever with us not a bad manager like Sharp. Just not the right job for Ronaldo.

I'm sure you did Greganator....and?

Keep coming out with lines like...." evident from the start that he had come for the contract " and "IF another job had been available he wouldn't have given us a 2nd thought."

It's not my opinion carrying more weight...it's lines of yours like above and "never wanted to be here" that are just utterly groundless and throwaway comments. No proof at all....lots of evidence towards his frustrations about our lot though...I remember us beating Walsall away when we looked doomed to go down and Moore commenting how he couldn't believe the gloom still around as things were turning for the better. Stating how some were stuck back in the Premiership days....never a truer word spoken and you know it!

Anyway.....70+% know their stuff....the rest don't! :wink::grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

for many supporters, the "style" of play is more important than the results. As a supporter for over 40 years I appreciate that all teams and managers will have their "wins and losses", but save getting back up the leagues, then my judgment isn't on league placing at the end of the season.

During RM's duration was the first time in those 40 years that I really couldn't get excited to go and watch the lads. So no guesses where my vote goes!

for many supporters, the "style" of play is more important than the results.

Indeed...they're saying that down at Chelski too (as Jose found out)...thankfully for them though, they've the advantage of being the 2nd best team in the land...we don't...so I know which comes first for me.

Stating how some were stuck back in the Premiership days....never a truer word spoken and you know it!

I'm sorry but I just don't think that's true, too much water under the bridge since those days. That's a suggestion that gets voiced on this board by a few people, but I would argue that 50% or our support wasn't even around during that period. Most current Latics fans have been brought up on us during our fall from grace.

I think this was an excuse by Ronnie that wasn't true, it was his style of football and attitude towards fans that got people's backs up.

I think this was an excuse by Ronnie that wasn't true, it was his style of football and attitude towards fans that got people's backs up.

Lol...this "excuse" was "used" in his first few weeks in charge as we looked like being relegated...before fans were in the RRE singing his name and "sign him up" after we managed to stay up...only for it to turn nasty just weeks into the new season that followed.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Lol...this "excuse" was "used" in his first few weeks in charge as we looked like being relegated...before fans were in the RRE singing his name and "sign him up" after we managed to stay up...only for it to turn nasty just weeks into the new season that followed.

So why is Moore so un-popular then? Why do we keep debating his tenure at the club so often?

So why is Moore so un-popular then? Why do we keep debating his tenure at the club so often?

Because he's a very easy target (and yes, he didn't help himself either at times because as some have pointed out...he liked to give it back a little.) However, talk of Moore's tenure was becoming less debated during last season once Shez was being eyed up by some as the next easy target. It's the way of the fickle footballing world.

Anyhow...moving on...and getting back on topic...I'd like to ask those who say BT hardly had anything to spend why they feel that way? I remember how we beat Peterboroughs twice improved offer for Arber which masked the fact a decent budget was available. Just BT threw it mainly at 1 gash player and then spunked the rest on the likes of Rodney Jack et al....TTA were fresh on the scene and were happy to give cash to BT but he wasted much of it on one player hoping to use us as a stepping stone...to which he did...to non-league...so why do people insist BT had nothing to play with?

Edited by boundaryblue80

Because he's a very easy target (and yes, he didn't help himself either at times because as some have pointed out...he liked to give it back a little.) However, talk of Moore's tenure was becoming less debated during last season once Shez was being eyed up by some as the next easy target. It's the way of the fickle footballing world.

Anyhow...moving on...and getting back on topic...I'd like to ask those who say BT hardly had anything to spend why they feel that way? I remember how we beat Peterboroughs twice improved offer for Arber which masked the fact a decent budget was available. Just BT threw it mainly at 1 gash player and then spunked the rest on the likes of Rodney Jack et al....TTA were fresh on the scene and were happy to give cash to BT but he wasted much of it on one player hoping to use us as a stepping stone...to which he did...to non-league...so why do people insist BT had nothing to play with?

That's a rubbish point about Arber - Barry Fry was spending about tuppence ha'penny on the team in those days, so I wouldn't get too excited about what we were willing to pay, "Ledge." We just weren't an attractive club for 3rd division players to sign for at that point.

I voted for Ronald because, as I was only about 7 or 8 when Sharp was the gaffer, I didn't really understand football all that much (Some would say i still don't). Although I do remember going to Latics and then my dad slagging him off in the car on the journey home.

I reckon there is only one way to resolve this arguement anyway.............

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!

So that's it then it's fact, Ronnie was a good manager............... LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

How on earth did you reach that conclusion? I said he was crap. TBH we're splitting hairs with this one - the three of them were crap.

i wonder who was the worst manager in the poll other,i see 7voted there ,but who could it be? not shez or big joe or sir jimmy frizzell, ,for me they the best managers we have ever had

I think it's safe to say Wadsworth....unless Kyle has voted in which case 1 vote will be for Shez!

Edited by Stitch_KTF