Athletic close in on Maher deal

ATHLETIC could unveil their latest summer signing when they return to Boundary Park for tonight’s home game against Derby.

Experienced central midfielder Kevin Maher is poised to complete his move after arriving at the club for talks and a medical.

Maher, a free agent since he left Southend at the end of last season, has turned down other offers in order to join Athletic’s bid for promotion.

He will be the seventh new addition to an ever-growing squad and, if all goes to plan, boss John Sheridan will give him a run-out against Derby.

Maher ended last term on loan at Gillingham, who were eager to sign him permanently, but he is best known for his decade at Southend, including long spells as captain.

He won two promotions with the Essex club and has a total career record of 462 senior appearances, with 25 goals scored.

Athletic’s work in the transfer market is almost complete, but tonight’s match will also feature Jamaican international Demar Phillips.

The left winger was outstanding against Grimsby over the weekend and is likely to join Athletic on a full-season loan deal from Premier League new boys Stoke.

Phillips is an attacking player, so Sheridan still aims to bring in a left-back before the league campaign starts on August 9.

He would have loved to re-sign Ryan Bertrand, but the Chelsea youngster moved to Norwich for a second loan spell.

The game at Boundary Park tonight is Athletic’s first home friendly. So far they have won 3-0 at Rhyl and 2-1 at Grimsby.

Sheridan said: “No disrespect to the other teams, but Derby will be a tougher test of where we are up to.

“They are a Championship side who were in the Premier League last season, and I’ll probably give players longer than 45 minutes so we can work on team shape.”

Derby manager Paul Jewell has made a host of new signings, the latest being Sheffield United striker Rob Hulse for around £1.75million.

Athletic fans will be housed in the main stand and Detect All Chaddy End, with Derby fans in the Rochdale Road End.

Admission costs £10 (adults), £5 (under-16s and over-65s) or £3 (under-12s in the Chaddy End).

Kick-off is at 7.45.

Guest oa_exile
Maher, possibly Phillips AND a LB? I can't believe we have made so many signings and it's only JP we are looking to offload. Maybe we will be sending some of the younger players out on loan?

IF these three come off , it will deffo happen , some of the youngsters will be good loan signings for Div 2 or Conf teams

Maher, possibly Phillips AND a LB? I can't believe we have made so many signings and it's only JP we are looking to offload. Maybe we will be sending some of the younger players out on loan?

i always expected Wolfy to go out but if those 3 do appear then I would suggest Williams, Black,Smalley, Chalmers and maybe even Alessandra and Stephens could be joining him for part of the season. this must be a good thing as one of our problems last year was having to rely on the kids to start games and play several in succession rather than bring them on at their own pace. they all did extremely well but this way Shez is more in control of their development.

Edited by astottie

... or, as discussed the other day... the fabled Shez warchest that he didnt spend last season, despite pressure from TTA and the fans, is now coming to fruition...

Perhaps playing the kids last season has enabled us to double the squad size this season... very clever if so... we were prepared to cover the wages of darren huckerby for a good few months of last season... i'm sure just saving that outlay has paid for about 4 of our signings....

he always said he would rather save for this season... and we are reaping the rewards...

Though Gary Mac went, and the need for a keeper has been longstanding