My Views of tonight.

i agree about eardley, his problem and lomax's as well is that they both insist on standing inside the wingers rather than being next to them on the touchlines where they should be and marking them - instead they leave acres of space for wingers to receive the ball and by the time theyve got out to them the guys have put in the cross without even half a challenge, this happened again tonight with eardley near the end in the chance where their guy blazed over with an open goal - his positional sense is appalling and that for me is why i dont rate him.

Dont know why tommy and shez cant sit in the directors box a half each and see the game from a fans perspective - they'd have the eardley positional problem spotted in a second!

As for liddell, yes the guy has good experience and good in the dressing room but honestly he shouldnt be at the club anymore, hes hindering the development of smalley and taylor(on the right) i for one hope he doesnt start the season there - i see him bringing nothing to the team anymore and if anything slows the play down, sorry lids!

Edited by saddylatic

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the Oldham fans really tickle me sometimes. How can anyone have a go at Gregan for being slow?

If Gregan was fast, with his talent he would be Premier Leauge / High Championship level without question.

Sure, I would love to see englands best lining up for Oldham every week, but we gotta be real people.

Gregan is a marshall for the defence, and when he doesn't play, we look far more shakey at the back.

Coupled with the fact that at this level, most strikers are either fast and donkeys or slower and composed finishers (with a fair few slow donkeys thrown in for good measure). Gregan is exactly what we need and we are lucky to have him (if he stays fit).

Greegan or

Branston

Arber

Thompson

Beharal

Lord Kawanga

Its absurd to even question the quality he brings to the back four and his ariel dominance is second to none. We have a team that 'potentially' could seriously challange all in this league.... and still instead of for x mins he played very well but made a mistake .... its he is too slow the goal was his fault.

Season 2008/9 the season to clap happily !!!!

its a fact that a pacey forward seems to get the better of gregan. maynard and parker are the main expamples. i no am not on my own here. somebody must feel the same way as i do about gregan. too slow.

Did you go to Crewe? Maynard didn't have a kick, Gregan had him in his pocket all game. Gregan and Rubes (who is no slouch) first choice for me. Stam was poor last night, particularly after doing the hard bit in gaining posession, then he usually gave it away with poor clearances/general distribution. Wasn't all that impressed by Whitaker either, he looked good at Rhyl and ok at Grimsby but looked out of his depth against higher opposition imo. I'd like to think both Stephens (who looked very good again) and Maher who looks just the sort of leader in the middle we need are in front of Danny at the moment. O'Grady surprised me last night after looking particularly rusty at Rhyl and Grimsby he was a real handful last night and him and Davies seem to be forging agood understandin, Hughes' starting place is by no means a formality. The triallist didn't have much time to shine as we constantly either hoofed or played it down the right, which beggars the question WhyTF was Liddell on the right? BIG MISTAKE SHEZ, we have more mobile players to play wide right, if he starts the season there Shez is making a rod for his own back.

My starting 11 for Millwall based on the three friendlies i've seen

Crossley

Eardley

Hazell

Gregan

A N Other or Kelvin or Lee if fit

Taylor

Maher

Allott

Phillips/Smalley

Davies

O'Grady

Subs:

Fleming

Hughes (Needs to seriously sharpen up, then can be considered for a starting spot)

Stephens

Whitaker

other spots up for grabs

This is the current state of play for me, obviously there's over two weeks yet and things are looking good. I would hope by the time Hull arrive at BP next week Shez will have a firm idea of what his starting 11 will be.

Gregan is a starter! He didn't slip, he showboated and got caught out. I'm not bothered. At least he's got it out of the way in pre season and hopefully a rollocking from Shez followed, so once the season kicks off Gregan will have his head screwed on and put his boot through the ball.

Plus's for me:

Gregan (bar the showboat) Rubes partnership

Whittaker

Phillips

O'Grady - very impressed, big and strong

Davies - clean slate from me this season

Taylor - on the right wing

Smalley

The rest will let them off as it's pre season. Always rated Maher but is he a starter?

Anyway a promotion winning team shouldn't really worry about their starting XI. If they can field two starting XI's of a similar calibre then they'd take some stopping. Granted I've only seen 90 mins pre season but we've a squad now to really get excited about.

E4e

ERNIE

Gregan has always lacked pace but he reads the game quicker than anyone in this league. People like Bruce, Tony Adams and Sean Garnett (joke) were lacking in pace and they did ok.

If it was all about being quicker than the centre backs then Wayne Andrews and Jermaine Johnson would be the best strikers in the world. We will see if our quick striker, Davies, can get the better off someone like Chris Lucketti at Huddersfield, who despite being slower than a wheelie bin will like Gregan he will be one of the class acts at the back this season.

Gregan is a starter! He didn't slip, he showboated and got caught out. I'm not bothered. At least he's got it out of the way in pre season and hopefully a rollocking from Shez followed, so once the season kicks off Gregan will have his head screwed on and put his boot through the ball.

Plus's for me:

Gregan (bar the showboat) Rubes partnership

Whittaker

Phillips

O'Grady - very impressed, big and strong

Davies - clean slate from me this season

Taylor - on the right wing

Smalley

The rest will let them off as it's pre season. Always rated Maher but is he a starter?

Anyway a promotion winning team shouldn't really worry about their starting XI. If they can field two starting XI's of a similar calibre then they'd take some stopping. Granted I've only seen 90 mins pre season but we've a squad now to really get excited about.

E4e

ERNIE

Yeah, totally agree mate. Allott was superb first half, calming head and never lost the ball cheaply. Was impressed with O'Grady too, tenacious, bustly and has that adhesive quality with the ball.

I think with Maher, let's look at it. He's just come up the motorway today, signed after teatime so knows none of the players.

People are saying they didnt agree with my assessment of Eardley, granted I said he was untroubled which looking back I was wrong but did you go to Crewe? he showed his class their, yes he was troubled but i dont seem to rememeber their CHAMPIONSHIP winger cutting too far in or gettin a cross off. Come on it could be worse we could have Clegg there :huh::huh::shock:

am sorry right but gregan is very slow. it is about pace. get a high ball over and get somebody quick like parker/beckford/maynard will run him ragged. not havin a go but its true. he plays on a high line and its not good really

apart from the defence everything looks good its just the defence that worries me. nothin he can do though i suppose.

Simply dosent have to be the case..

Gregan has never been fast.....there are many great defenders that arent fast...

Gregan is big hard and solid...he dosent need pace.. If he pushes forward to far then he will get caught out but if we play with a deeper defensive line then it neturalises the efect of the pacey foward. Granted that means you cant play the offside trap and you usally have more work to do but thats Gregans strength...

Thats the way I see it anyway....

Edited by oafc0000

Greegan or

Branston

Arber

Thompson

Beharal

Lord Kawanga

Its absurd to even question the quality he brings to the back four and his ariel dominance is second to none. We have a team that 'potentially' could seriously challange all in this league.... and still instead of for x mins he played very well but made a mistake .... its he is too slow the goal was his fault.

Season 2008/9 the season to clap happily !!!!

Great post..... Give me Gregan any day of the week! You can even throw Stam into that mix. He was pritty dam poor last season.

Isn't that what happened to Gary Mac 9/10 games?

Personally I'll always been a bit mystified by the criticism of Gary Mac (but maybe that's for another thread). At the very least, whenever the ball was going forward, you could bank on hom arriving in the box. Maybe that was why we he got caught out if the ball didn't come to him. Whittaker, for me though, seemed to be anchored in the centre circle for large portions of the game, not a criticism I would expect to see of Gary Mac. As I said, the perfect contract was Stephens who was box to box I thought.

Great post..... Give me Gregan any day of the week! You can even throw Stam into that mix. He was pritty dam poor last season.

Stam had his good games last season and him and Rubes forged a good partnership after Trotters left, BUT he drops at least one major bollock per game and that is costly. Ok Greegs' error was shocking last night but he got away with it in a friendly and rarely does that in League games. His only downfall for me is his little penchant for giving away pens with a blatant shove in the back. But Greegs for me is the best physical centre-back we've had since Simon Webster or Andy Holden, some strikers just aren't interested in taking him on as they know they'll come off worse, see Baz Savage, Nicky Maynard even Windass two seasons ago. AND Gregan's blood and thunder routine is complimented by Rubes' cool, calm and collected demeanour.

Edited by oafcprozac

Personally I'll always been a bit mystified by the criticism of Gary Mac (but maybe that's for another thread). At the very least, whenever the ball was going forward, you could bank on hom arriving in the box. Maybe that was why we he got caught out if the ball didn't come to him. Whittaker, for me though, seemed to be anchored in the centre circle for large portions of the game, not a criticism I would expect to see of Gary Mac. As I said, the perfect contract was Stephens who was box to box I thought.

Whitaker didn't pass the half-way line in his 45 mins, he was indeed anchored 30 yards from his own goal, ok we were under pressure early doors and it took us a while to gat to grips with Derby's tempo but I don't remember Danny touching the ball for the first 15 minutes, Stephens is ahead of him in the pecking order so far. Young lad or not he is going to be a helluva player. I've no problem with Danny being Macca's replacement in the squad, i'd prefer someone else to be starting every week. I'd have no problem at all with an Allott and Maher/Stephens partnership vs Millwall.

Gregan for me is our weak link.

Too arrogant too slow and seems to undermine the younger players alongside him instead of being a big help.

Get Stammy and Ruban together much better balanced IMO

I think Gregan needs games. For me, Stam always has the potential to drop a clanger.

I think he fulfills that potential more often than not.

I really must be watching different games to the anti-Gregan crew.

Everyone was saying Stam should get a chance....he got a chance and blew it...

Gregan is in a different league than stam for my liking.... Stam got exposed time and time again last year.... An acceptable backup but not a starter in my eyes...

You go to boundary park much last season ?

Everygame you boo boy.

Course Stam is gonna bugger up if your waiting for him to do it!!

This is LEAGUE ONE we are not going to get the best defender we do (i.e. Trotman , Hill, Hall) and we lose them!

Out of the crap weve had over the years Stam as a second choice defender is quality!!

Its pre season and your already on someones back !!! Go and fill your glass up over half way!

:rant.sml: