Five Year Anniversary

Five years ago today, the club were minutes from liquidation when Chris Moore finally sold it to Neil Joy and Sean Jarvis for a pound. Our players were leaving in droves, the manager was looking elsewhere and many of us thought we'd seen our last ever football at BP.

Five years on, we have incredible, sensible owners who have the club's and town's interests at heart. There's talk of the prospect for an outstanding season on the cards...a real push for promotion...a manager with great potential and Boundary Park is to be redeveloped into a modern ground the town can be proud of.

This team is going places but it's easy to forget sometimes just how close we were to not having one, and just how scared we all were on this day in 2003.

Keep the faith.

Five years ago today, the club were minutes from liquidation when Chris Moore finally sold it to Neil Joy and Sean Jarvis for a pound. Our players were leaving in droves, the manager was looking elsewhere and many of us thought we'd seen our last ever football at BP.

Five years on, we have incredible, sensible owners who have the club's and town's interests at heart. There's talk of the prospect for an outstanding season on the cards...a real push for promotion...a manager with great potential and Boundary Park is to be redeveloped into a modern ground the town can be proud of.

This team is going places but it's easy to forget sometimes just how close we were to not having one, and just how scared we all were on this day in 2003.

Keep the faith.

Great post.

It's very concievable that right now we could have been preparing for this season being underneath Rochdale and possibly on the same par as the likes of Stalybridge and Droylsden. Worth bearing in mind that TTA have been footing our losses for nearly FIVE years now and we're preparing for this season with one of our strongest squads since 2002/2003.

it's easy to forget sometimes

Good post...

I'll never forget ....

I remember sitting in the car listening to the latest news on the events and GMR had all but said the club was finished and I just sat there with my head on the sterring wheel with tears in my eyes wanting to throw up. A huge chunk of me would die if the club went....

I listen to some of the moans and compliants from the fans about the TTA and it makes my skin crawl.

I have nothing but respect and thanks for them all. The role of Sean Jarvis is often forgotten as well.

Thanks to everyone who got us through those dark days.

Great post.

Worth bearing in mind that TTA have been footing our losses for nearly FIVE years now and we're preparing for this season with one of our strongest squads since 2002/2003.

Probably stronger to be fair, around a 1/3 of that squad was made available for transfer by September of that season. For me it really is make or break this season, we've been gaining momentum since we avoided the the drop vs Bradford and hopefully come May we will see the culmination of all the club's hard work on and off the field. I'll be honest TTA have surprised me just how liberal they have been with the purse strings this summer and hopefully we won't need the will we or won't we? sign that world beater we desperately need come January as the squad looks to be more than big enough, especially if we sign the much fabled left back we have needed since Charlie retired. We look to have two starting calibre players for every position and if we click we could do a Swansea.

Great post!

Outside Spotland five years ago I shook hands with Sean Jarvis and Neil Joy in thanks for their efforts to keep the Club alive.. Inside before the Rose Bowl game, I walked round the empty stadium to the far corner kiosk, for some food to take back to eat in the bar with our Irish Dale mates. On the way back Iain Dowie walked down the tunnel and I shook his hand. I thanked him for motivating everyone to carry on working without being paid, to keep alive the Club for any prospective purchasers. I filled up and was choked as I spoke - Dowie could see how much it meant to me and in an attempt to lift my spirit, he laughed it off and said don't be daft.

On Monday at the funeral I shook Dowie's hand again and reminded him of the above event. I went on to say that that afternoon at Spotland Ernie made his debut, and who could have expected all that has followed. This time we were both choked and there was no way either of us could lift each other's spirit at that moment.

Ernie joined us during those datk days and he epitomised the yard dog spirit of which the fans are so proud. Ernie's wearing of his Latics shorts until the end reminded me that he showed on the pitch the same pride passion and belief for the Club that fans of Latics demonstrated on that march against the Planning Committee's foolish decision. That's what made Ernie unique among our legends.

It is at this time of reflection that thanks are due once again to TTA for saving our club from the brink of liquidation and giving us so much hope for the future, both on and off the field.

Life is more important than football, but Latics' fans who have stuck with the Club through thin, thinner and extremely thin are not called diehards for nothing.

I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Oldham 'til I die.

:ktf:

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Well done for reminding us of this(I hadn't realised it was the anniversary) and there are some really great posts on here.

My proudest moment was the brighton game at home when we turned out the biggest set of nohopers and non achievers ever likely to pull on a Latics shirt. I think 6 of that days squad played fewer than 10 league games in their whole careers. Every man jack of them fought their hearts out and I knew at the end of that game even though we had been thumped that there was hope. A 3-1 home defeat and I came out with a huge smile on my face, we were alive and we sure were kicking.

It's good to remember those days sometimes especially when we all get a bit giddy and start thinking the club/team is something that it's not. We will achieve what we will acieve so lets enjoy the present.

Onwards and upwards!!

My proudest moment was the brighton game at home when we turned out the biggest set of nohopers and non achievers ever likely to pull on a Latics shirt. I think 6 of that days squad played fewer than 10 league games in their whole careers. Every man jack of them fought their hearts out and I knew at the end of that game even though we had been thumped that there was hope. A 3-1 home defeat and I came out with a huge smile on my face, we were alive and we sure were kicking.

It's good to remember those days sometimes especially when we all get a bit giddy and start thinking the club/team is something that it's not. We will achieve what we will acieve so lets enjoy the present.

Onwards and upwards!!

Rob Walker played his one and only game for the club. Danny Hall, Roca and Vernon only had about a dozen games between them. Kangana, Boshell, O'Halloran. The rest of the team wasnt all that bad though. I think everyone went out of the ground thinking, we might go down but i'm happy to watch that kind of effort every week and hey, at least we've still got a club.

Sheffield Wednesday away the week after was even better. We went to one of the clubs who were supposed to be right up there and were the better side passing them all over the place. Shez ran the game and we were lucky to only come away with a point. That Rushden game and the 90th minute winner was superb. We went on a great run after that. Probably the best win that season though was Plymouth at home towards the end of the season. They were top and cruising to promotion and we ripped them to peices. In the end we finished comfortably clear of the bottom 4 and even above the 'mighty' wednesday.

Always remember that City friendly that summer when we got absolutely tonked 6-0. City brought that many there was an overflow in the away end and before you knew it, there was a few hundred or so city fans sat in the Paddock. First time i've ever seen them in there with no animosity whatsoever. Most of them were decent. Quite a few were really interested in our plight, saying how they'd go to the Brighton game. Whether they did or not, I dont know.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

I just sat there with my head on the sterring wheel with tears in my eyes wanting to throw up.

Get a grip lad! :D

But in all seriousness these were very tough times. I remember getting off the bus after school every night, popping into the newsagents and reading the back of the chron. Day by day it was getting worse and in all honesty I was preparing myself for a season as a Mossley fan! Up the Lillywhites! :grin:

Rob Walker played his one and only game for the club. Danny Hall, Roca and Vernon only had about a dozen games between them. Kangana, Boshell, O'Halloran. The rest of the team wasnt all that bad though. I think everyone went out of the ground thinking, we might go down but i'm happy to watch that kind of effort every week and hey, at least we've still got a club.

Sheffield Wednesday away the week after was even better. We went to one of the clubs who were supposed to be right up there and were the better side passing them all over the place. Shez ran the game and we were lucky to only come away with a point. That Rushden game and the 90th minute winner was superb. We went on a great run after that. Probably the best win that season though was Plymouth at home towards the end of the season. They were top and cruising to promotion and we ripped them to peices. In the end we finished comfortably clear of the bottom 4 and even above the 'mighty' wednesday.

Always remember that City friendly that summer when we got absolutely tonked 6-0. City brought that many there was an overflow in the away end and before you knew it, there was a few hundred or so city fans sat in the Paddock. First time i've ever seen them in there with no animosity whatsoever. Most of them were decent. Quite a few were really interested in our plight, saying how they'd go to the Brighton game. Whether they did or not, I dont know.

The old expression "Every cloud has a silver lining" comes to mind. If it wasn't for those dark days, we would never have had the pleasure to take a new hero to our hearts - Ernie Cooksey!!

Good post...

I'll never forget ....

I remember sitting in the car listening to the latest news on the events and GMR had all but said the club was finished and I just sat there with my head on the sterring wheel with tears in my eyes wanting to throw up. A huge chunk of me would die if the club went....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Guest oa_exile
Arent you nice. And i suppose you was jumping around and smiling at that time?

You will get used to those positive comments from Coco :wink:

Guest oa_exile
I'm sorry, but that was just the most girlie comment ever posted on here, i'm surprised he didn't go home and get a big tub of Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream.

Bet he did :lol: with a cherry on top :grin:

My memory of that day (thanks for reminding us jss) was of sheer relief that the :censored:hole Moore was finally gone. It didn't give us any guarantees of survival but I felt that at least it was now in the hands of people who really cared about the club.

PS whilst oooo might be being a bit melodramatic with his language, I know I had a seriously knotted stomach for weeks and actually found it difficult to eat at times, I'm sure we all had our own symptoms of extreme worry.

Guest oa_exile
I'm sure we all had our own symptoms of extreme worry.

After intially contacting the Samaritans and attending AA meetings which eventually led to a couple of weeks in the Priory actually felt OK :lol:

• 4 years later...

10 years. Wow. Bloody Hell.

I wonder what Simon Corney is thinking this morning!

We have had a few ups, and arguably more downs, but around then we thought we were on the dawn of a great time.

Lets hope this new era of optimism is not viewed historitically as another false dawn.

QUOTE (jsslatic @ Jul 24 2008, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's easy to forget sometimes

Good post...

I'll never forget ....

I listen to some of the moans and compliants from the fans about the TTA and it makes my skin crawl.

I have nothing but respect and thanks for them all. The role of Sean Jarvis is often forgotten as well.

Thanks to everyone who got us through those dark days.

We need more supporters like this who eat, sleep & breath Oldham Athletic, who stick by the club through thick & thin, no matter wha...........eh?............what?..........has he? Oh.