Picture the scene

I have talked work into sponsoring a game, we are are sat in the box last night with 3 colleagues of mine and are made up of two Arsenal and one Derby fan. One of them ask's me to point out our star players/players to watch out for. So off I go rambling on:

Eardley - Caps for Wales

Allott - Swept the board at awards ceremony last season

Crossley - yes he really is that old

Gregan - Captain fantastic, the scourge of all the forwards in the league......oh he's just let the ball roll under his foot into the forwards path to score an easy tap in. Bugger! Let's just say Sean's off my Christmas card list this year

:dunce:

I have talked work into sponsoring a game, we are are sat in the box last night with 3 colleagues of mine and are made up of two Arsenal and one Derby fan. One of them ask's me to point out our star players/players to watch out for. So off I go rambling on:

Eardley - Caps for Wales

Allott - Swept the board at awards ceremony last season

Crossley - yes he really is that old

Gregan - Captain fantastic, the scourge of all the forwards in the league......oh he's just let the ball roll under his foot into the forwards path to score an easy tap in. Bugger! Let's just say Sean's off my Christmas card list this year

:dunce:

did something similar once...

whilst in the RAF early 90's, my beloved latics were on a roll like we only can remember...

away match at oxford to be played which is very close to where i was based at the time, so i managed to convince a leeds, coventry and a liverpool fan to pay to watch some real football.....

yep ..you guessed it.. stood behind hallworth's goal as we watched him continously picking the ball out of it.. 5-1 IIRC

mind you.... i do remember it being equalled out when my boss from manchester airport brought a load of his mates up from stoke to watch us play at BP..

my only advice i gave him was.." take a look at the young centre half! " Q 'onesize' popping up for his first goal and our 2nd! now that was a quiet car back to the airport!!!! he he he

PS...great idea for a thread! anymore?????

Edited by thetramdriver

TTD, you stood behind the goal at Oxford? You are either very stupid or very brave. The net there used to be right up to the front row. I saw us play there in 1989 we won 1-0......although I'm sure we drew. Help please.

TTD, you stood behind the goal at Oxford? You are either very stupid or very brave. The net there used to be right up to the front row. I saw us play there in 1989 we won 1-0......although I'm sure we drew. Help please.

We actually played them twice away during 1989.

In the 1988/89 season we played them on March 18th 1989 and drew 1-1.

In the 1989/90 season we played them on Nov 11th 1989 and won 1-0.

There are several of my friends whose only memories of seeing Latics are of the Thurrock and Chasetown games on TV. It’s hard explaining them that we are a Massive Club in the face of that evidence.

Just show them the comments from all the new players when they sign for us. Except for Maher obviously.

i remember it being fairly close........ think we were 1/2 dozen steps (those were the days eh?) back though!

in fact on the season video, i can clearly be seen venting my frustration as the ball hit back of said net....

I remember the Manure game in 93' when Adams scored the winner, my mate was a red, but had a massive soft spot for us, so he decided to come in the home end (nice of him that, seeing as i got him a free ticket) i was telling him about our players and i had previously said how Adams was good on the ground, but when it was high he would struggle, and guess what happened????

I still chuckle to myself at that, not so much the comment but when adams scored some old dear planted a smacker right on me mates lips, he was disgusted!

There are several of my friends whose only memories of seeing Latics are of the Thurrock and Chasetown games on TV. It’s hard explaining them that we are a Massive Club in the face of that evidence.

Yes, I would probably have trouble explaining to my Argyle mate that we are great. Three games last season: Brighton, Swindon and Luton away. Thankfully, like myself, he is a pisshead and is willing to go to these places for alcohol alone.

I remember the Manure game in 93' when Adams scored the winner, my mate was a red, but had a massive soft spot for us, so he decided to come in the home end (nice of him that, seeing as i got him a free ticket) i was telling him about our players and i had previously said how Adams was good on the ground, but when it was high he would struggle, and guess what happened????

I still chuckle to myself at that, not so much the comment but when adams scored some old dear planted a smacker right on me mates lips, he was disgusted!

:lol::lol:

When we beat City, I was seeing a city fan at the time. She came in the Paddock with me. For weeks since the draw i'd put up with the abuse that City were going to beat us, knowing full well having grown up on a Man City supporting estate. That victory is sweeter when they bang on about it for weeks before like it's a full gone conclusion. Oh dear. Scotty Vernon! The week later she said she wanted to come again. Before the game I was telling her how 'cos we'd beat her lot, we'd easily wipe the floor with a tin pot club like "doncaster." - What happens. One minute in. One Nil Down and i'm sat getting laughed in my face. :blush:

My cousin before he started following United all over England and Europe with a couple of his mates. Was a staunch Sheff Wednesday fan, god knows why but when he was younger they werent a bad side. He'd stopped going Wednesday to follow United around 98' onwards. In 2000 though we got wednesday in the League Cup and he said he wouldnt mind going. He was asking about players and I mentioned that the lad in the middle of the pitch (Boshell) was absolute gash and how he's absolutely useless. Who scores the 1st goal? Yep. Bambi on Ice himself. I then decided to get cheeky and mention how his once mighty wednesday where going to get knocked out by Oldham. We lost the game 3-1 and then got d**ked 5-1 in the 2nd leg. Unfortunately for me, he only lived round the corner at the time and I woke up to go to school having to walk past his house with him singing 8-2 to the wednesday boys out of his window. He even cheekily put up his old wednesday flag on my garden fence for when I returned. :mad: