9 August - Collection for Factor 50

Guest gillianfn

Guest gillianfn

Hi everyone,

Some of you may be aware that I set up a charity last year Factor 50, when I realised that my friend, Jon Herron, who was suffering the exact same illness as Ernie, was not going to survive. Some of you will also know that I had some contacts in America and in other countries, who may have been in a position to help Ernie. Sadly, that was not to be and like Jon, Ernie lost his very brave battle against Malignant Melanoma.

Factor 50 does nothing only fund raise for Malignant Melanoma Research. (The Malignant Melanoma Research Fund is its proper name, but it is too much of a mouthful for advertising purposes, media etc). I'm sure Andy (Inspector) will have spoken to many of you during games about the charity - Andy is also involved.

A young girl who loved Ernie to bits contacted me a couple of weeks ago to ask if she could do something for the charity, she thought maybe she could do a bucket collection.

I spoke with Alan and Gordon who agreed to allow us to do the collection on the first game of the season.

I now have a gang of little helpers who will be at the ground on the day and I hope to raise a good amount to enable further research into what is truly a vile illness.

The girls with the buckets will also have free samples of self tanning wipes and leaflets with information about skin care.

For anyone who will not be at the game but you want to donate, www.factor50.org.uk - you can donate online.

Thanks for reading this, see you all soon.

Gill Nuttall

Hi everyone,

Some of you may be aware that I set up a charity last year Factor 50, when I realised that my friend, Jon Herron, who was suffering the exact same illness as Ernie, was not going to survive. Some of you will also know that I had some contacts in America and in other countries, who may have been in a position to help Ernie. Sadly, that was not to be and like Jon, Ernie lost his very brave battle against Malignant Melanoma.

Factor 50 does nothing only fund raise for Malignant Melanoma Research. (The Malignant Melanoma Research Fund is its proper name, but it is too much of a mouthful for advertising purposes, media etc). I'm sure Andy (Inspector) will have spoken to many of you during games about the charity - Andy is also involved.

A young girl who loved Ernie to bits contacted me a couple of weeks ago to ask if she could do something for the charity, she thought maybe she could do a bucket collection.

I spoke with Alan and Gordon who agreed to allow us to do the collection on the first game of the season.

I now have a gang of little helpers who will be at the ground on the day and I hope to raise a good amount to enable further research into what is truly a vile illness.

The girls with the buckets will also have free samples of self tanning wipes and leaflets with information about skin care.

For anyone who will not be at the game but you want to donate, www.factor50.org.uk - you can donate online.

Thanks for reading this, see you all soon.

Gill Nuttall

I'll make sure I bring some spare cash to the Milwall match.

Good work

Hi G, will them thar gurls be helping one apply the self tanning, will it be an "all over" rub down, if so can I reserve the first 57 packs, that should just about cover me gut !! As regards the buckets I told the Inspector last week that I shall make a suitable deposit in his bucket, ahem!

If anybody is still reading please make a donation however small, it all counts. I know how much work people like Gill have to put into these things. My family got involved and still are involved with a different charity about 15 years ago, because my cousin became ill with a terminal form of leukaemia, lots of hard work, lots of times seeming like a thankless task, but at the end of the day the rewards in doing it far outweigh anything else. Oh and what G hasn't mentioned is that Mr Gillian and the good Inspectormorose with others are doing the 3 peaks challenge and her Son a half marathon all for Factor 50, so donate or chuck summat in a bucket, :censored:it do both !! Like I say 5p or £50 it all counts

Guest gillianfn
Hi G, will them thar gurls be helping one apply the self tanning, will it be an "all over" rub down, if so can I reserve the first 57 packs, that should just about cover me gut !! As regards the buckets I told the Inspector last week that I shall make a suitable deposit in his bucket, ahem!

If anybody is still reading please make a donation however small, it all counts. I know how much work people like Gill have to put into these things. My family got involved and still are involved with a different charity about 15 years ago, because my cousin became ill with a terminal form of leukaemia, lots of hard work, lots of times seeming like a thankless task, but at the end of the day the rewards in doing it far outweigh anything else. Oh and what G hasn't mentioned is that Mr Gillian and the good Inspectormorose with others are doing the 3 peaks challenge and her Son a half marathon all for Factor 50, so donate or chuck summat in a bucket, :censored:it do both !! Like I say 5p or £50 it all counts

Hello Andrew,

No, them thar gals will not be applying the self tan wipes for you ... (albeit I bet a couple of them could be pursuaded to do so if you dug deep enough!!) I've reserved the first 200 packs for your belly (just in case you have a couple of curries and a few pints before then!) :grin:

3 Peaks, Marathons, Naked for the Day, Swims, Iron Men Challenges - yes they are all happening or have taken place! Having seen what Jon and his family suffered and still are suffering because the loss of someone so young is so hard to take, and now Ernie and his family, I just couldn't sit back and do nothing at all, hence Factor 50. I've had so much support from my family, pals, IM in particular is brilliant, so it hasn't been all me, there are a team of us involved in this. I'm sure I am now the office bore, I talk about it all the time, but I won't rest until I have made a difference.

Hello Andrew,

No, them thar gals will not be applying the self tan wipes for you ... (albeit I bet a couple of them could be pursuaded to do so if you dug deep enough!!) I've reserved the first 200 packs for your belly (just in case you have a couple of curries and a few pints before then!) :grin:

3 Peaks, Marathons, Naked for the Day, Swims, Iron Men Challenges - yes they are all happening or have taken place! Having seen what Jon and his family suffered and still are suffering because the loss of someone so young is so hard to take, and now Ernie and his family, I just couldn't sit back and do nothing at all, hence Factor 50. I've had so much support from my family, pals, IM in particular is brilliant, so it hasn't been all me, there are a team of us involved in this. I'm sure I am now the office bore, I talk about it all the time, but I won't rest until I have made a difference.

If get deep enough eh, I had thought of smut that could be applied there, but that'd have been for another message board in a forgotten galaxy far far away!

Hang on a mo, "Naked for the Day" when? Where? Who? Will there be a viewing only area :)

You hit nail firmly on the head there, "couldn't sit back and do nothing" no you can't, we initially got involved by being tested to see if we were perfect matches for bone :censored: transplanting for my cousin, we sadly weren't, but it caused a chain reaction just seeing what others were going through and needed and it goes from there.

"Deposit in my bucket", better bring my splash proof overalls and goggles then Stipey :wink:

As for naked day, it was a girly without make up fer the day, which is not what i was expecting!

You're right by the way, i don't think we knew how hard it would be when firstly Gill set up Factor 50 and i became involved in helping.You find you have to fight so hard for every break you get to involve people who can make a difference.But every little victory makes the ignored e mails and unreturned phone calls slightly easier to bear.

I'm sure everyone who reads this must be aware of the dangers of skin cancer, it's never been out of the news recently, but please don't just think it could never happen to me.It could.It happened to Jon who was only 30 out of whose plight Factor 50 was born and he certainly wasn't a sun worshipper who chased a tan, we are all aware of our Ernie who passed at 28 and i have a niece who is recovering from Malignant Melanoma after having a tumour removed, she's 28 and again not a sun worshipper.

It really is an awful disease but we are doing everything we can to give Christies a platform to research and develop a promising trial to find a cure, anything that anyone can throw in our buckets on August 9th will go towards this end and i promise you you will be making a difference.

If one of the mods is reading this is there any chance it can be pinned to the top so it doesn't get lost down the page, would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy W

Edited by inspectormorose

"Deposit in my bucket", better bring my splash proof overalls and goggles then Stipey :wink:

As for naked day, it was a girly without make up fer the day, which is not what i was expecting!

You might just need a gas mask as well !

Naked day, what a con :)

Guest gillianfn
There's a decent sized article in Saturday's (todays) Rochdale Observer, Gillian. Good work.

Thanks - that is due to the great work and patience of Carl Marsden - I don't think I gave him a lot to work with - just a quick "Carl, can you do anything with this... - here it is - speak to Dr Lorigan, this is what I'm trying to do" - he's a good lad. I've had a number of calls from people who are interested in doing something for the charity so I'm really pleased.

Guest gillianfn

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to the collection today for Factor 50. Andy (IM) his nephew and niece, Tom and Cheryl, Mike Nut, Aime Bently and her 3 pals, Paul and his daughter Abby, and last but not least, little Lauryn and Harriet - you were all brilliant - very wet, but brilliant! We raised £1037.70 - so a great thanks to everyone.

Oops, nearly forgot, Chaddy and Oaksy - thanks guys. :blush:

Guest gillianfn

Meant to say - the guys at the Rifle Range - thanks for your support - means a lot - really appreciated.

Edited by gillianfn

Meant to say - the guys at the Rifle Range - thanks for your support - means a lot - really appreciated.

Yeah, Paddy and Oaksey did a great job in there. Think they made sure every single person is chipped in - they must have gone round that pub dozens of times. A bit like the girls outside the RRE. Amie, Sarah, Simone, etc. They pretty much gave me a 30 yard warning that I was expected to chip in again.........Think I got fleeced out of every bit of change I had. Which shows how persuasive they all were. Well worth it though and those that did it, deserve a praise. Especially in that weather. Hope you raised a tidy amount.

Guest gillianfn
Yeah, Paddy and Oaksey did a great job in there. Think they made sure every single person is chipped in - they must have gone round that pub dozens of times. A bit like the girls outside the RRE. Amie, Sarah, Simone, etc. They pretty much gave me a 30 yard warning that I was expected to chip in again.........Think I got fleeced out of every bit of change I had. Which shows how persuasive they all were. Well worth it though and those that did it, deserve a praise. Especially in that weather. Hope you raised a tidy amount.

They were good girls - so funny, I actually watched Simone in disbelief as she approached the police van and told them to get their hands in their pockets!!!!!!!!!!! The weather didn't help but every little bit helps and we really appreciate the support.