Who's up top

tell ya wat form readin all the post on here about the startin line up this season, nearly all have gone for a Hughes/Davies partnership up top.

I know its early days but form what i have seen up to now, I would pick O,Grady and another, he's big, strong, quick, and good in the air, I think Hughesy an Craig had better take a good look over thier shoulder

tell ya wat form readin all the post on here about the startin line up this season, nearly all have gone for a Hughes/Davies partnership up top.

I know its early days but form what i have seen up to now, I would pick O,Grady and another, he's big, strong, quick, and good in the air, I think Hughesy an Craig had better take a good look over thier shoulder

Rather surprised at your assessment of the views on here. I thought recently the concensus was for O'g and Davies.Hughes seems way off lasting 90 minutes but the last 20, then maybe

... and that is a bloody great place to be... when was the last time we genuinely didnt know what our starting line up would be??? I have no doubt that Hughes and Davies would be Shez's number 1 strikeforce if fit and on form (if we play with a 2?) however... as you say, it means if a drop of form or fitness happens then we can trust who is coming in to do the business.... whether that be Hughes, Davies, OGrady, Ales, Smalley, Taylor, Phillips, Williams, Allott, Josh Bell, Dux, Alan Hardy, the girls from the ticket office.... or if we are really struggling... wolfy...

:wink:

... and that is a bloody great place to be... when was the last time we genuinely didnt know what our starting line up would be??? I have no doubt that Hughes and Davies would be Shez's number 1 strikeforce if fit and on form (if we play with a 2?) however... as you say, it means if a drop of form or fitness happens then we can trust who is coming in to do the business.... whether that be Hughes, Davies, OGrady, Ales, Smalley, Taylor, Phillips, Williams, Allott, Josh Bell, Dux, Alan Hardy, the girls from the ticket office.... or if we are really struggling... wolfy...

:wink:

From what i have seen in pre season so far..

Starting against Millwall i would play this starting 11:

Crossley

Eardley Hazell Stam Lomax

Taylor Allott Maher Phillips

O' Grady Davies

Subs:

Fleming

Gregan

Smalley

Whittaker

Hughes

Going off the Derby game it's O'Grady and another. So given Hughes is still on the comeback trial behind Davies, then it's O'Grady and Davies up top. However the next match versus Hull City could see a change!! Whatever or whoever of our front boys starts they should all know now that this season they'll have to earn their spot, which is great for Latics. Lewi is in the mix too for me along with Hughes, Davies and O'Grady and the reports heard of Williams don't rule this boy out after Xmas if the Latics staff can keep him focused and watch him across the road and stuff.

I’m surprised Hughes hasn’t had more pitch time TBH, he’s either fit or he isn’t, surely what he needs is minutes on the clock. If he is in any sort of shape he would be first name on the team sheet but it is nice to have options in case he is off the boil. He will still score at least 65 goals this season though.

I’m surprised Hughes hasn’t had more pitch time TBH, he’s either fit or he isn’t, surely what he needs is minutes on the clock. If he is in any sort of shape he would be first name on the team sheet but it is nice to have options in case he is off the boil. He will still score at least 65 goals this season though.

the thing is ogrady does look like the sort of player davies would enjoy playin with.

he held the ball up brilliantly against derby and then fed davies.

he also seemed to be in all the right places when davies was on the ball.

dont get me wrong i like hughesy but this ogrady lad could keep hughesy out of the team

because i dont think them 2 are right for each other but davies could play upfront with

both of them. mainly because hes quick.

Hughes has a little to catch up on fitness with the rest of the squad, so it's best not to rush him.

All being well I expect him look far sharper by the first league of the season, however, it would not surprise me if O'Grady starts against Millwall with Hughes on the bench.

I'm surprised Hughes hasn't had more pitch time TBH, he's either fit or he isn't, surely what he needs is minutes on the clock.

I just get the impression they're trying to be as gentle as possible in getting Hughes on the pitch. If his groin goes again it could be another lengthy time on the sidelines.

I'm in no doubt that Hughes and Davies is Shez's preferred front pairing when both are fit. Their goal returns when they played together were excellent, so O'Grady for me is in the side when we play 4-3-3 or Hughes/Davies is injured.

Hughesy has to start if he can prove fitness, but that's the "if"...he hasn't had alot of minutes and has been out of action for months on months.

O'Grady is fit & firing, and on the Derby showing is right in the mix for a starting spot.

Davis has had longer back in training than Hughesy, and so should be fitter. He could have a big season for us this year if he takes on board what everyone is trying to tell him; stay central!!

Lewis will feature from the bench for me until form / injuries etc mean he gets a starting place, which i feel he is more than worth on ability & potential.

Throw in Smalley (though i see him more as a RW) to that mix and its looking rosey.

Wolfy is the one who misses out for me; dead wood IMO and needs bining off - at the least on loan, but for good for me; not up to it i'm afraid.

All in all i think this is the best we've looked for strikers in years, there's options for 4-4-2 / 4-3-3 & anyone coming in will have to impress as the cue is big for the starting spots; which is healthy!!

From what i have seen in pre season so far..

Starting against Millwall i would play this starting 11:

Crossley

Eardley Hazell Stam Lomax

Taylor Allott Maher Phillips

O' Grady Davies

Subs:

Fleming

Gregan

Smalley

Whittaker

Hughes

Sorry to say I can see us losing at least 2 players from your squad

Davies and Stam. I know Stam is wanted by another team in our League

Donny are also close to offering an improved offer for Taylor

Cant understand why we have bought O'Grady and keep Davies the club must have a buyer lined up ?

Sorry to say I can see us losing at least 2 players from your squad

Davies and Stam. I know Stam is wanted by another team in our League

Donny are also close to offering an improved offer for Taylor

Cant understand why we have bought O'Grady and keep Davies the club must have a buyer lined up ?

If Stam went we would want at least one CB in. It's already the area we are weakest in. Taylor and Davies we would miss as players but there are plenty to fill in for them.

Edited by leeslover

If Lee Hughes is fit, he has to start.

Simple as that.

Not sure about Wolfenden. I would loan him out. He didn't get many chances to come on last season to get a good 20 minutes when we were two or three goals up, so as such was expected to come on and change games where we were struggling - a big ask for any inexperienced player.

Assuming no leavers, this BIG squad has got to deliver for Sheridan, or we'll be looking for a new manager after Christmas