we WILL face Ricketts again!

Well, yes. Because he's actually, contrary to seemingly popular belief, a pretty good player. It was actually quite nice to see him ram it down people's throats when he came back to BP last year.

DIE DIE RICKETTS

Please dont let me be sat next to you if he bags against us again, nice to see him ram it down peoples throats? so u was pleased he scored against us?

Craig Davis Golden Boy?? have u got a soft spot for the Wallsall (go on be honest), The chant seems to have got to more people on here than Ricketts himself....LET IT GO!

Please dont let me be sat next to you if he bags against us again, nice to see him ram it down peoples throats? so u was pleased he scored against us?

Craig Davis Golden Boy?? have u got a soft spot for the Wallsall (go on be honest), The chant seems to have got to more people on here than Ricketts himself....LET IT GO!

More on the basis that we didn't look like scoring in a month of Sundays in that game...they were always going to score a second and if someone was going to get it, I wanted it to be Rico to shut the Muppet Choir and general moaners up. Perhaps 'nice' was the wrong word, but it was rather satisfying to hear all the booboys shut up...at least for two minutes before they started complaining that he 'never did that for us'.

Craig Davies was the golden boy at the time, and seemingly could do no wrong. I'm not sure why you've found fault with that.

And for the record, I've never even heard of Wallsall.

That Richard Butcher and Guy Branston were as black as the ace of spades as well.

Oh right........................

I don't recall Branston getting much stick, certainly nothing like as much as his performance and attitude deserved. There are all kinds of reasons why different fans do or don't take to a player, but it would be ludicrous to suggest that race plays no part in it.

I don't recall Branston getting much stick, certainly nothing like as much as his performance and attitude deserved. There are all kinds of reasons why different fans do or don't take to a player, but it would be ludicrous to suggest that race plays no part in it.

And it would be ludicrous so suggest that anything other than the tiniest minority of latics fans are racist. As everyone knows, two of our three best loved players of all time are black, so I'm not having that the likes of Ricketts got grief based on his skin colour. Butcher got a harder time that anyone I've ever seen at latics, including Ricketts, and deservedly so. Generally, the only players who get grief from the latics fans are lazy ones, such as Ricketts and Butcher, regardless of skin colour.

The Racism comment is bollocks. Ricketts was a waste of space, who thought he was still in the big time. I'm glad he got stick when he came back to BP, singing Die Die was over the top I suppose but so is a lot of people's reaction to it on here. I don't think Ricketts himself will have been half as bothered as some on here.

And it would be ludicrous so suggest that anything other than the tiniest minority of latics fans are racist. As everyone knows, two of our three best loved players of all time are black, so I'm not having that the likes of Ricketts got grief based on his skin colour. Butcher got a harder time that anyone I've ever seen at latics, including Ricketts, and deservedly so. Generally, the only players who get grief from the latics fans are lazy ones, such as Ricketts and Butcher, regardless of skin colour.

I was under the impression that Butcher got abuse because of perceived :censored:ting out, not laziness. You are really missing the point that Roger had to become, "one of us," rather than being a legend from the word go, but then someone who believes that Glasgow Rangers fans were led to sexually harrass women on their way to work, :censored: in the street like dogs, make monkey noises at passing black and Asian people and throw bottles at technicians trying to fix their TV, all because people had a negative expectation of them, might not be the best person to rely on for an understanding of fans' motivation.

Spot on people thinking that Ricketts thinking that ricketts is the victim of racism is bollocks I gave Michael Ricketts a chance I'm delighted to see the back of him he it doesn't make me a racist. As far as Im concerned a Strikers 3 aims are in this order

1. Scoring

2. Creating chances for others

3. Offering a good first line of defence

Ricketts did none of the above JSS you make the point about Berbatov he scored over 20 goals the last 2 seasons if Ricketts was scoring at that kind of rate I couldn't care less if he didn't chase every lost cause.

I was under the impression that Butcher got abuse because of perceived :censored:ting out, not laziness. You are really missing the point that Roger had to become, "one of us," rather than being a legend from the word go, but then someone who believes that Glasgow Rangers fans were led to sexually harrass women on their way to work, :censored: in the street like dogs, make monkey noises at passing black and Asian people and throw bottles at technicians trying to fix their TV, all because people had a negative expectation of them, might not be the best person to rely on for an understanding of fans' motivation.

Come on Andy, that was back in the early eighties when fans (of many, many clubs) were still making monkey noises at black players (which I understand is how the original oooh RP chants started). Football was very different time back then.

I don't remember Earl Barrett having to "become one of us", and frankly I think this 'race' issue issue bollocks when it comes to the modern players.

Players get abused cos they are :censored:, lazy, gutless, bigtime or whatever, not cos they are black.

I'll give you one final example which to moves proves the whole race thing is bollocks - Ricketts gets dogs abuse when playing for Walsall, yet Andrews gets polite applause for his goal against us for Brizzle (and I know a good number of the same people were involved in both incidents cos I sit almost in the middle of them).

Spot on people thinking that Ricketts thinking that ricketts is the victim of racism is bollocks I gave Michael Ricketts a chance I'm delighted to see the back of him he it doesn't make me a racist. As far as Im concerned a Strikers 3 aims are in this order

1. Scoring

Ricketts did none of the above JSS you make the point about Berbatov he scored over 20 goals the last 2 seasons if Ricketts was scoring at that kind of rate I couldn't care less if he didn't chase every lost cause.

Excellent point. Porter was also accused of being lazy. I heard many having a pop cos he "didn't doing anything" all game. The point is, it didn't matter if he stood around with his thumb up his backside for 88 mins, cos in the other couple of mins he'd invariable have scored or set one up. Forward can stroll around the pitch as much as they want for me if they are bagging 20+ per season.

No, really me today. My only saving grace was that my boss spent all day facing me making noises as if he was being stabbed every few minutes, and his boss' boss had her face in her hands, which were on the desk, when I came in, and she left at 11.

Bloody hell it sounds like they run a tight ship at yours LL. :grin:

Come on Andy, that was back in the early eighties when fans (of many, many clubs) were still making monkey noises at black players (which I understand is how the original oooh RP chants started). Football was very different time back then.

I don't remember Earl Barrett having to "become one of us", and frankly I think this 'race' issue issue bollocks when it comes to the modern players.

Players get abused cos they are :censored:, lazy, gutless, bigtime or whatever, not cos they are black.

I'll give you one final example which to moves proves the whole race thing is bollocks - Ricketts gets dogs abuse when playing for Walsall, yet Andrews gets polite applause for his goal against us for Brizzle (and I know a good number of the same people were involved in both incidents cos I sit almost in the middle of them).

I’m by no means suggesting that all the people who booed or generally disliked Ricketts did so for any sinister motive, but I do believe it was a factor for some. Nobody who was away at Port Vale last season would be unaware that we have a substantial number of racist fans, albeit that they might be much more fussed about Asians these days than blacks.

It's absolutely ridiculous that this conversation has turned into a race issue. Ricketts was never subjected to racist abuse, I'm sure enough people feel strongly enough about it to have reported something like that had it actually happened. Everyone was well aware of the pretty grim (and massively abhorrent) "Die Ricketts" chants that occurred (very isolated, mind), I was equally as disgusted in that as I was at the abuse Butcher recieved at Barnsley. Rare occurrances in which I've been ashamed to be a Latics fan.

I always had a little time for Ricketts. It was unquestionable he had talent, you just had to see him on the ball to understand that, but we all saw the very reason for which he was on his nth club in about 10 years and why he's been on a linear downward spiral since his pomp. Watching quality just go to waste will get anyones back up.

Well, Walsall obviously like him enough to give him a third go there. And if he is going to show any desire at all it'll be there if anything. Fair play and good luck, but I won't really miss him here.

More on the basis that we didn't look like scoring in a month of Sundays in that game...they were always going to score a second and if someone was going to get it, I wanted it to be Rico to shut the Muppet Choir and general moaners up. Perhaps 'nice' was the wrong word, but it was rather satisfying to hear all the booboys shut up...at least for two minutes before they started complaining that he 'never did that for us'.

Craig Davies was the golden boy at the time, and seemingly could do no wrong. I'm not sure why you've found fault with that.

And for the record, I've never even heard of Wallsall.

I think your going a little over the top in your praise for Ricketts.

Shez said from the beginning that he'd have to go looking for the ball a bit more due to a lack of creativity in this division, but right from the start you could see that he was never going to put a shift in!

Like many players he was skillful, but he was also bone idle and gave an impression that he didn't really want to be here at all.

If he had just had that little bit of Cooksey in him then he would probably still be in the premiership.

Middlesborough, Leeds, Stoke, Cardiff, Burnley, Southend, Preston, and ourselves can't all be wrong......not to mention trials at Southampton and America!!!!

The only reason he's at Walsall is because it's the last resort!!!!

1. Scoring

I'll grant you the scoring one...the problem is number two. His partner was Davies who wandered round on the wing until someone gave him the ball. He rarely came inside to get on the end of Rico's flickons or hold up play. Even now, have you ever seen a Latics forward line play as far away from eachother as Davies and Hughes?! Davies has very poor positional sense and is too often found wandering around nowhere near play. It would have been very, very interesting to see how Rico and Hughes would have played together.

On the racism issue, of course it doesn't affect everyone's views and it would be insulting to insinuate that it did. Some people just plain didn't rate him. The problem is that it does affect some people's views. Look at the black players that have been made scapegoats over the last few seasons: Ricketts, Johnson, Betsy, Clarke, Constantine, Forbes. The ratio of black players to scapegoats is so disproportionate that I don't believe for one moment that there is no racial motive. Not amongst everyone, in fact arguably not amongst most, but definately amongst some.

A couple of examples of the top of my head...there's a video on YouTube of Leon's pen at Brentford two seasons ago. I can't find it now, but those that have seen it will know that the cameraman and his pals were all exasparated at the fact that, and I quote, 'Oh :censored:, the nigger's taking it'. Second, someone said they overheard a conversation on the phone at Luton when a Tics fan said 'Then :censored:ing nigger went and got himself send off'. Yes, this is an 'apparently', but I'm sure someone came on here after the game and reported how angry they were about it so it is a direct report. People may say that there's no problem, but there is...even if it is a minority.

On the racism issue, of course it doesn't affect everyone's views and it would be insulting to insinuate that it did. Some people just plain didn't rate him. The problem is that it does affect some people's views. Look at the black players that have been made scapegoats over the last few seasons: Ricketts, Johnson, Betsy, Clarke, Constantine, Forbes. The ratio of black players to scapegoats is so disproportionate that I don't believe for one moment that there is no racial motive. Not amongst everyone, in fact arguably not amongst most, but definately amongst some.

Maybe there is, but I don't think it's disproportionate. Scott, Butcher, Killen, Holden, Boshall, Rickers all had as much dissing and criticising. I could find more too.

Pretty grim and tasteless words that have been used, and also captured on things like Youtube, but unless someone reports them to stewards or the like then they'll just get away with it.

I'll grant you the scoring one...the problem is number two. His partner was Davies who wandered round on the wing until someone gave him the ball. He rarely came inside to get on the end of Rico's flickons or hold up play. Even now, have you ever seen a Latics forward line play as far away from eachother as Davies and Hughes?! Davies has very poor positional sense and is too often found wandering around nowhere near play. It would have been very, very interesting to see how Rico and Hughes would have played together.

A couple of examples of the top of my head...there's a video on YouTube of Leon's pen at Brentford two seasons ago. I can't find it now, but those that have seen it will know that the cameraman and his pals were all exasparated at the fact that, and I quote, 'Oh :censored:, the nigger's taking it'. Second, someone said they overheard a conversation on the phone at Luton when a Tics fan said 'Then :censored:ing nigger went and got himself send off'. Yes, this is an 'apparently', but I'm sure someone came on here after the game and reported how angry they were about it so it is a direct report. People may say that there's no problem, but there is...even if it is a minority.

Their will be football fans who support this football club who will be racist and obviously I won't condone them but I think it is just a reflection of society and as a club from a town with race problems in the past then its going to be an issue. However as you said yourself people weren't on the back of Craig Davies at the same time as Ricketts. People also apprecaited the efforts of Neal Trottman, Reuben Hazel and Ryan Bertrand last season so I don't believe it is a race issue not for the vast majority.

Regarding Davies firstly I'm probably in the minority but I like to see Davies drift wide and deep from time to time to drag the defenders about abit because he drifts wide it makes him more difficult to pick up. Its not as though Tevez and Rooney are always staying central they are moving the defenders about so they can't be marked out of the game. First game of last season he was driffting wide and the centre halfs looked really uncomfortable as they didn't know how to pick him up he really roasted Swansea that day. He just needs to learn when to drift wider and deeper and when to get in the box. He is a young lad so he is still learning the game and will come good this season.