Gregan and Liddell

Yes it was a pre season friendly and nothing to get carried away about.

But, Gregan continues to astound me. Hurling abuse at Fleming after he didn’t come for a cross (which Crossley wouldn’t have gone anywhere near either) and yet woe betide anyone who has a pop at him after another casual gaffe gifts Derby their first goal. All this after having a go at the fans at Accrington.

And what is the point of Andy Liddell? What does he do other than take a good penalty? His lack of pace means he’s always trying to check back. Yes he can deliver a game changing cross every now and then, but will he ever get in a position to do that?

On the glass half full side (Prozac) I thought each of our new signings played well. Especially O’Grady and I am relatively optimistic about the new season.

But, Gregan continues to astound me. Hurling abuse at Fleming after he didn’t come for a cross (which Crossley wouldn’t have gone anywhere near either) and yet woe betide anyone who has a pop at him after another casual gaffe gifts Derby their first goal. All this after having a go at the fans at Accrington.

And what is the point of Andy Liddell? What does he do other than take a good penalty? His lack of pace means he’s always trying to check back. Yes he can deliver a game changing cross every now and then, but will he ever get in a position to do that?

On the glass half full side (Prozac) I thought each of our new signings played well. Especially O’Grady and I am relatively optimistic about the new season.

i agree guernica!! i know the stats say that lids is a provider of a lot of our goals but i actually think his crossing is absolutely p--s poor and always has been!! the number of times he hits the 1st defender is unbelieveable - and all because he can't beat his man!! i personally can't see him playing much this season - but not bad to be fit and on the sidelines waiting i suppose!!

But, Gregan continues to astound me. Hurling abuse at Fleming after he didn't come for a cross (which Crossley wouldn't have gone anywhere near either) and yet woe betide anyone who has a pop at him after another casual gaffe gifts Derby their first goal. All this after having a go at the fans at Accrington.

And what is the point of Andy Liddell? What does he do other than take a good penalty? His lack of pace means he's always trying to check back. Yes he can deliver a game changing cross every now and then, but will he ever get in a position to do that?

And to be fair Fleming gave it back to him. Why do so many people have the hump about Gregan being vocal to other players? They're big boys, they can take it.

As for Liddell, quiet first half but he threaded an absolutely amazing ball through (I think the one where Davies made a mug out of Roy Carroll but just drifted too wide of the goal). He creates you chances (which are there in the assists for factual evidence) and he looks after the ball. Then again, people who don't gallop past defenders before knocking a pinpoint cross in ain't ever going to please people like you.

On the glass half full side (Prozac) I thought each of our new signings played well. Especially O'Grady and I am relatively optimistic about the new season.

I'm sure you'll find something else to bitch about a week after the Millwall match.

Edited by WhitworthBlue

I'm sure you'll find something else to bitch about a week after the Millwall match.

:applause1:

Can't believe the stick Gregan gets. Most teams in the division would kill to have him playing for them.

Lidds will be a bit part player this year...but he's not bad as one of the 'strength in depth' brigade...

Yay, the Liddell argument again. So in short...

Pro-Liddell: He is creative and doesn't need to beat a man to put a ball in. If you look at his assists over his Latics career they are exceptional.

Anti-Liddell: He slows the play and ends up playing the ball backwards as he can't beat his man. This in turn is terrible for Eardleys game. His legs have completely gone. His brilliant statistics were in a three month purple patch, and he's done nothing for well over a year now.

Yay the Gregan argument again. So in short...

Pro-Gregan: He's class.

Anti-Gregan: The nasty man shouts at ickle youngsters.

What an utterly pointless post.

Boo boys!!

Always thought Lids would play a bit part this season. He's got some quality, but total lack of pace must mean restricted opportunities. Could he moved into the centre now and then?

As for Gregan, well I'm not one of his biggest fans. He has a loud fan club on here, almost as loud as he is, but i actually thought the defense did well last season without him. For me, Mr. Fatty is ok with the player and ball in front of him, but he gets caught flat footed and square far too often. Will the centre of defense be our weak spot - Gregs, Thompson (I really don't like him at all) and a slower Stam?

Sit back and wait for...

not too bad - it HAS taken until after the second game in pre season for the first whinging to start -not bad for Latics that!

Third game actually! Gregan didn't embarrass himself and cost us the game in the first two. Pointing out that showboating can prove costly is not the same as the whinging at players that we experienced last season.

I don't know what it is about Gregan, I just can't fathom why he makes that one off gaff (seemingly per game) that tends to get punished. For the bulk of a match he can be immense. Dominates most times in the air, he can clatter through most players, both fairly or not!, often pings a great cross field pass and then he drops a right clanger mostly in the wrong place thats costly.

We all know he struts a pose that suggest arrogance or is it he feels he's way above this level, kinda too good to be at Latics or indeed just an air of calm assurance in his own ability? I know when I didn't see Gregan week in week out during his time at Preston that corresponded with Prestons rise up the ladder and Latics fall down it, I always fancied Latics taking him just before the cross over took place. He seemed a great player for them. Also when we played Leeds at Elland Road in the cup prior to Leeds going down, Gregan ran midfield for them that day and during these games I never noticed the odd gaff to his game. However I've seen plenty of the one off gaffs whilst he's been at Latics.

So I can see why there is a split in the camp regarding Gregan, some rightly see him as steel and a cut above at this level whilst others see a slow risk taker who barks at everyone else bar himself. Which camp am I in? well I believe Gregan is way above Stam, cos Stam also is prone to a gaff a game but isn't as strong as Gregan overall (Stam was way off the pace against Derby and his second touch had to be a tackle!) so Gregan starts with Rubes in the centre. Yet I want Gregan to knuckle down a bit more and lose a little of the swagger for concentrated effort.

Latics will let in soft goals this season, but we will still have a pretty decent defensive record. Gregan is a hell of a lot better than some of the tosh central defences. The important thing is that if they score 1, we score more and that was where we fell apart last season, in the goals for column.

As for Lids, he is an experienced pro who is not a starter for me but will be good to use from the bench and handy to have around the dressing room.

So I can see why there is a split in the camp regarding Gregan, some rightly see him as steel and a cut above at this level whilst others see a slow risk taker who barks at everyone else bar himself.

I agree with both points of view.

I want Gregan to knuckle down a bit more and lose a little of the swagger for concentrated effort.

The swagger is fine, but I'm with you about the need for concentrated effort, to avoid his occasional lapses, which make him look only as good as mere mortals.

Hazell's application and performance level is the benchmark for others to strive to achieve.

And to be fair Fleming gave it back to him. Why do so many people have the hump about Gregan being vocal to other players? They're big boys, they can take it.

I actually think Fleming started that one, having a pop at Gregan for putting it out for the corner when he wasn't sure. He has a right to have a go back, he dealt with it. I think the important thing is that it leads people to think about their game.

I'd sooner have vocal players than timid ones, and I think it's a good sign that we have a few

I don't know what it is about Gregan, I just can't fathom why he makes that one off gaff (seemingly per game) that tends to get punished. For the bulk of a match he can be immense. Dominates most times in the air, he can clatter through most players, both fairly or not!, often pings a great cross field pass and then he drops a right clanger mostly in the wrong place thats costly.

We all know he struts a pose that suggest arrogance or is it he feels he's way above this level, kinda too good to be at Latics or indeed just an air of calm assurance in his own ability? I know when I didn't see Gregan week in week out during his time at Preston that corresponded with Prestons rise up the ladder and Latics fall down it, I always fancied Latics taking him just before the cross over took place. He seemed a great player for them. Also when we played Leeds at Elland Road in the cup prior to Leeds going down, Gregan ran midfield for them that day and during these games I never noticed the odd gaff to his game. However I've seen plenty of the one off gaffs whilst he's been at Latics.

So I can see why there is a split in the camp regarding Gregan, some rightly see him as steel and a cut above at this level whilst others see a slow risk taker who barks at everyone else bar himself. Which camp am I in? well I believe Gregan is way above Stam, cos Stam also is prone to a gaff a game but isn't as strong as Gregan overall (Stam was way off the pace against Derby and his second touch had to be a tackle!) so Gregan starts with Rubes in the centre. Yet I want Gregan to knuckle down a bit more and lose a little of the swagger for concentrated effort.

When he first joined us I really liked Stam. I thought he was a class act for this division. But the injuries have sadly taken their toll. On his day, much better than Gregan, but that day seems to have gone.

Gregan I like. He'll make a mistake every now and then, but his ability to win balls in the air is something we missed for a major part of last season. After Trotman left, we conceded some silly goals simply because we didn't have a ball-winning centre back. Stam can do it, but look at the 2 goals we conceded at home to Swindon. Hazzell is excellent, but he lacks height.

Combine that important attribute with he sheer aggression he installs. He frightens opposition defenders - something I don't get from Stam and Hazzell again.

As for Lids, I like him. Yes, he probably won't play 46 league games this season, but anyone who can deliver a ball like the following - without having to run, may I add - is always a danger, and will always be in the back of my mind.

- Probably one of the best balls I've seen from an Oldham play in a few years. Again, something we missed last season was a winger with the real ability to cross the ball well. We scored very, very few goals from wide positions, which was opposite to the season before. Just to add - O'Grady + Liddell or someone who can cross = success.

He'll probably be used more as an experienced winger, who comes on say with 20 minutes to go. How many silly fouls do sides give away when they're 1-0, there's not much time left, and they're nervouse? Quite a few.

As for Lids, I like him. Yes, he probably won't play 46 league games this season, but anyone who can deliver a ball like the following - without having to run, may I add - is always a danger, and will always be in the back of my mind.

- Probably one of the best balls I've seen from an Oldham play in a few years. Again, something we missed last season was a winger with the real ability to cross the ball well. We scored very, very few goals from wide positions, which was opposite to the season before. Just to add - O'Grady + Liddell or someone who can cross = success.

He'll probably be used more as an experienced winger, who comes on say with 20 minutes to go. How many silly fouls do sides give away when they're 1-0, there's not much time left, and they're nervouse? Quite a few.

That's exactly how i see Lids being used this season too. The swansea game at home last season i think will be the benchmark for Lids appearances this coming season, coming on for the last 10-15 mins to pepper the box with crosses from wide. With O'Grady on the pitch, it'll be criminal not to look to whip balls in from wide and get him to attack them, a la Chris Porter in his purple patch.

If we want a rampaging wide right winger; we have 2 of them already in Taylor & Smalley. If we're looking for an experienced old head with great delivery; then step forward Mr Lids. It's a good balance with options for the manager and i like it!!

Edited by slystallone

Liddell never stopped crossing to the spot that Porter always used to go to, even though he isn’t here any more. I presume other strikers have been told to attack that spot but haven’t done enough times. Taylor has started arriving there, which helps, but Davies really needs to be getting himself into those positions and expecting the ball to arrive, or maybe O’Grady will do that job.

Liddell never stopped crossing to the spot that Porter always used to go to, even though he isn’t here any more. I presume other strikers have been told to attack that spot but haven’t done enough times. Taylor has started arriving there, which helps, but Davies really needs to be getting himself into those positions and expecting the ball to arrive, or maybe O’Grady will do that job.

i like liddell, his crosses are 90% accurate and i would rather have him on the pitch to take our set pieces like corners than lettin taylor, taylor should learn from lidds how to take a corner.

as for gregan i think people no what i think so im not goin to go there. all i can say is hes way to slow and will most likely get caught out by the fast strikers this season again eg maynard parker and beckford.

but at the end of the day hes captain and shez isnt goin to drop him is he so the people who are like me then just get used to it because the better partnership of hazell and stam isnt goin to happen unless gregan gets injured of suspended.

i like liddell, his crosses are 90% accurate and i would rather have him on the pitch to take our set pieces like corners than lettin taylor, taylor should learn from lidds how to take a corner.

as for gregan i think people no what i think so im not goin to go there. all i can say is hes way to slow and will most likely get caught out by the fast strikers this season again eg maynard parker and beckford.

but at the end of the day hes captain and shez isnt goin to drop him is he so the people who are like me then just get used to it because the better partnership of hazell and stam isnt goin to happen unless gregan gets injured of suspended.

Serious question, would you ever prefer a slow player to a fast one?

I like Lidds, but some people have very, very short memories...harping back to the good old days when Lidds delivered wonder crosses from corners.

He hit the first man more than Taylor and Kilkenny did.

Serious question, would you ever prefer a slow player to a fast one?

Yes. I think of players like John Sheridan, Bobby Moore, David Eyres, etc. All had little pace - and could hve been replaced by faster players. They had aspects of their game that made them prefereable however.

For my money Gregan is quality,as someone mentioned before many teams in this league would love to have him in their line up!

I am also more than happy that Liddell was offered and chose to accept a new deal.it's more than likely that he won't feature very often in front of Taylor/Smalley,but is still a very useful squad member and someone who could help to improve the younger players.

I was very happy when Lids signed on for an extra year but I didn't imagine him playing anything more than a bit part this season......I think Shez summed it up when he said his experience is invaluable......to be fair, I think he mean't around the place rather than in 46 league games this season.

Gregan is a totally different matter.......it is his job to keep everybody on their toes and whether that means screaming at others or congratulating them....I don't really give a sh8te....as long as he dominates the opposition as usual, he has my vote to say in the side

Edited by Chadbarmy