Private Godfrey.... Dad's Army..

It's a poor state of affairs when you are glad to have diverted a bayonet into your groin. There are so many stories lost from back then. My grandad got the same medal as he did but I have no idea what he did for it.

i'm reading the 'last tommy' book at the mo...

some of things in it make you really sit up and think... how they ever survived is beyond me..

Close... Great grandad.

Oh yes. I did know that, a mere typo. I actually learnt at the funeral last month that our grandad only shot one German in the war, and that was only in the leg because he wouldn't come out from behind the tree where he was hiding.

Oh yes. I did know that, a mere typo. I actually learnt at the funeral last month that our grandad only shot one German in the war, and that was only in the leg because he wouldn't come out from behind the tree where he was hiding.

Who told you that?!

As well as the MM, there's a Distinguished Conduct Medal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguished_Conduct_Medal

Both earned in France in 1915.

Who told you that?!

As well as the MM, there's a Distinguished Conduct Medal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguished_Conduct_Medal

Both earned in France in 1915.

That I didn't know. The DCM is quite exclusive I think, they started dishing MM's out quite liberally later in WW1. It was the Diplomatic chap that recounted the memoirs, our grandad wasn't actually traumatised by the war at all, for him it was like a lifer being paroled for 5 years, and with hard currency and a motorbike it turns out that Italy wasn't the worst place in the world to have been.