I have watched the Masters again after recording it, and after an amazingly loud rendition of "Ernie for England", the commentator (Gary Weaver) said that we were singing "Philly for England". What kind of horrible bskyb pi55 poor research is that?

i missed it all....somehow was thinking it was on today at 4pm like usual,so i havent seen any of it im affraid,does anybody know if it will be repeated again i know they sometimes do.

I have watched the Masters again after recording it, and after an amazingly loud rendition of "Ernie for England", the commentator (Gary Weaver) said that we were singing "Philly for England". What kind of horrible bskyb pi55 poor research is that?

I was watching it live on sky last night and said exactly the same thing to my dad, ''Ernie for England'' was loud and clear (as was every other chant by our fans) and then the commentator got it completely wrong! Just Disrespectful!

I was watching it live on sky last night and said exactly the same thing to my dad, ''Ernie for England'' was loud and clear (as was every other chant by our fans) and then the commentator got it completely wrong! Just Disrespectful!

i think thats a little ott, you heard it clear because you know whats gone on in the last few weeks.

it was a masters tournament, they would have researched the masters and there careers not whats gone on at each club over the last few weeks.

it would have been nice if ernie got a mention but it was not meant with any disrespect im sure

i dont think its anything that people should be getting furious about.

for the record , i hate sky and their love of the premiership only, but they new about oldham players there last night and thats all they had to mention really.

i think thats a little ott, you heard it clear because you know whats gone on in the last few weeks.

it was a masters tournament, they would have researched the masters and there careers not whats gone on at each club over the last few weeks.

it would have been nice if ernie got a mention but it was not meant with any disrespect im sure

i dont think its anything that people should be getting furious about.

for the record , i hate sky and their love of the premiership only, but they new about oldham players there last night and thats all they had to mention really.

Isn't that what Sky Sports News reports on 24 hours a day? Easiest thing in the world to make the Sky commentator aware of what is a human interest story. For all the criticism of Motty, he would have been aware of Ernie and the significance of the chant. Blimey, even the forever moaning Alan Green would have been less ignorant!

Isn't that what Sky Sports News reports on 24 hours a day? Easiest thing in the world to make the Sky commentator aware of what is a human interest story. For all the criticism of Motty, he would have been aware of Ernie and the significance of the chant. Blimey, even the forever moaning Alan Green would have been less ignorant!

sky sports news did report on it

So they need to communicate better with the sports presenters.

what im trying to say is ernie was laid to rest last week and it has been a sad time for everyone connected to the club.

last night and over the next coming weeks we are all going to get our chance to pay our respects and gratitude as a whole and try to show how much ernie meant to us and what he did for our club when we needed it most.

but do we need sky reporting on it...........really?

what im trying to say is ernie was laid to rest last week and it has been a sad time for everyone connected to the club.

last night and over the next coming weeks we are all going to get our chance to pay our respects and gratitude as a whole and try to show how much ernie meant to us and what he did for our club when we needed it most.

but do we need sky reporting on it...........really?

I appreciate what you're saying.

However, what we should expect is the media in all its forms to be fully aware of the human interest story surrounding Ernie's death, Louise and the baby, and the need for more education and research into malignant melanoma and other forms of cancer.

What commentators should not do is guess at what chants are about and make up their own interpretation. During the course of the evening the commentator could have asked someone to find out the story behind the chants, and then either he could have spoken with authority, or chosen not to speak about them.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

With hindsight we should have contacted Sky before the event, explaining the story behind both the flag and the chants. Hopefully this situation is less likely to occur again, as the aim of www.ernieflag.co.uk is to get an article about Ernie and malignant melanoma published in the programme at every away game this season. Journalists should therefore be better informed.

It is certainly disappointing that an opportunity was missed but I'm certainly not furious about anything connected with one of the proudest nights in Latics recent history.

With hindsight we should have contacted Sky before the event, explaining the story behind both the flag and the chants. Hopefully this situation is less likely to occur again, as the aim of www.ernieflag.co.uk is to get an article about Ernie and malignant melanoma published in the programme at every away game this season. Journalists should therefore be better informed.

It is certainly disappointing that an opportunity was missed but I'm certainly not furious about anything connected with one of the proudest nights in Latics recent history.

Agreed, but the fact is Sky Sports News service was aware of the Ernie story, but missed the opportunity to inform the producer (and commentator) of that programme.

There is the fact that the commentator, who is only human, just mis-heard what we were singing and has just made an honest mistake

Agreed. It's just a fun off-season kick-about after all, and we were the smallest of the draws there. They weren't covering a disarmament treaty or similar after all, there's no disrespect meant.

Agreed. It's just a fun off-season kick-about after all, and we were the smallest of the draws there. They weren't covering a disarmament treaty or similar after all, there's no disrespect meant.

I never said anything about disrespect and I am not furious (the title of this thread). I'm simply pointing out incompetence.

I never said anything about disrespect and I am not furious (the title of this thread). I'm simply pointing out incompetence.

Incompetence would be mistaking Eyres for John Eyre, missing a story about a former Oldham player dying of cancer is not. Probably if Ernie had played for us in 1990 they would have got it.

Incompetence would be mistaking Eyres for John Eyre, missing a story about a former Oldham player dying of cancer is not. Probably if Ernie had played for us in 1990 they would have got it.

Mistaking Eyres for Eyre is not incompetence, it's simply mistaken identity - ask Exile!

You're still missing my point. He misheard a chant, so he guessed at what it was about and gave the viewers misinformation about Philliskirk. That's incompetence, which could have been avoided by keeping quiet and not making his mistake.

Mistaking Eyres for Eyre is not incompetence, it's simply mistaken identity - ask Exile!

You're still missing my point. He misheard a chant, so he guessed at what it was about and gave the viewers misinformation about Philliskirk. That's incompetence, which could have been avoided by keeping quiet and not making his mistake.

I know what you mean, but they do that sprt of thing all the time. It's just that it happened to be about something that we care about more than we usually would, hence we notice.