Seems like Shez hasn't made up his mind about this guy yet.

I've not been to the freindlies so haven't seen him play but from what I've heard he's well worth a season loan.

Could wages be the problem?

He certainly has been well worth a contract in my eyes, shone against derby. So there may be something Sheridan isnt sure of maybe his attitude off the pitch or his wages not sure...

I'm sure Shez will take him if he performs as he did in the last two games. Maybe he just wants another big performance from him to show Shez he wants it, rather than offer him a deal now and watch him swan around against Hull. If he performs and doesn't get injured then I think that's our left-wing problem sorted.

I'm sure Shez will take him if he performs as he did in the last two games. Maybe he just wants another big performance from him to show Shez he wants it, rather than offer him a deal now and watch him swan around against Hull. If he performs and doesn't get injured then I think that's our left-wing problem sorted.

I've been concerned about this situation since last week. If Shez isn't sure about him then why take him off at half time against Derby. I would also think the agreements about wages etc would have been tied up with Stoke before he came here. I've only seen the 45 against Derby but thought he looked great and from what other people said he looked just as good against grimsby. I hope we are not pissing about with this because i can't see us getting anyone better and part of our problems the last 2 seasons with Shez has been getting players very late on when they have no time to bed in before the season starts. I'm concerned that if we don't sort it soon then someone else will get in first and offer Stoke and the lad a deal. Then again what do i know.

I think the problem could be that Shez (as do most of us!) still see that a left footed left back is the top priority. Maybe there isn't money for Phillips and left back?

Think there is. I spoke to Corney at the masters and he said he's ready to sign him along with that lad from Radclyffe borough, So i think its down to his off the pitch attitude

Think there is. I spoke to Corney at the masters and he said he's ready to sign him along with that lad from Radclyffe borough, So i think its down to his off the pitch attitude

Could be why Stoke want rid. It's odd that he hasn't been their long, and not catching the team, although their fans seem to think that he should be.

Could be why Stoke want rid. It's odd that he hasn't been their long, and not catching the team, although their fans seem to think that he should be.

Normally a trial is a week, isn;t it?

Is it me, or does he seem to have been here since Easter?

CAn;t decide if that is good or bad.

But if his attitude was so bad, he'd have gone somewhre else for a trial presumably?

well according to sheridan on LW he's got a good attitude "for a Jamaican". A career in international diplomacy awaits.

Normally a trial is a week, isn;t it?

Is it me, or does he seem to have been here since Easter?

CAn;t decide if that is good or bad.

But if his attitude was so bad, he'd have gone somewhre else for a trial presumably?

Trevor Francis had Cantona on trial for a week at Sheffield Wednesday. He wanted him to stay on trial for another week and the rest is history.

Diego Cervero was here for many weeks on trial. Shez said he was a smashing lad, but not good enough.

Sometimes it takes Shez a long time to make up his mind. Once he had his mind made up for him too quickly and was saddled with Dabo.

One thing is for sure - regardless of who else likes a trialist, he is the man in charge of player signings.

According to Stoke's local rag (Sentinel) a few league one teams have enquired about his services!! If we don't move quick I can see him moving to a league one rival. Sign him up Shez!!

Any ideas on a leftback will it be a season loan or maybe experience Jamie Clapham is available after being released by Wolves.

Looking good for the new season I can't remember the last time we had this much squad depth.

I've been concerned about this situation since last week. If Shez isn't sure about him then why take him off at half time against Derby. I would also think the agreements about wages etc would have been tied up with Stoke before he came here. I've only seen the 45 against Derby but thought he looked great and from what other people said he looked just as good against grimsby. I hope we are not pissing about with this because i can't see us getting anyone better and part of our problems the last 2 seasons with Shez has been getting players very late on when they have no time to bed in before the season starts. I'm concerned that if we don't sort it soon then someone else will get in first and offer Stoke and the lad a deal. Then again what do i know.

This isnt true, it was publically stated last week that Pullis and Stoke had buggered off on a tour of friendlies, and absolutely nothing had been sorted when the lad arrived here... said that discussions would go on this week, with everything to be concluded by close of play friday...

I'd imagine that bartering with Oldham about percentages paid on wages for a reserve winger is fairly low down on the priorities for stoke official when they are trying to contact jesus to work a miracle and keep them in the premier league... we are the small fish on this one... and as much as we want the lad we are working to stokes timescales...

Our officials (hardy) might also have been a little busy over the last few days, with negotiating a new sponsorhip deal n'all...

Sure he wil be a Latic by the end of the week... and wouldnt worry aboiut him going anywhere else, he is here, and i'm sure both him and stoke cant be arsed with dealing with another club at this stage.... unless sodding leeds want him, which they dont...

Edited by BigfinLatic

This isnt true, it was publically stated last week that Pullis and Stoke had buggered off on a tour of friendlies, and absolutely nothing had been sorted when the lad arrived here... said that discussions would go on this week, with everything to be concluded by close of play friday...

I'd imagine that bartering with Oldham about percentages paid on wages for a reserve winger is fairly low down on the priorities for stoke official when they are trying to contact jesus to work a miracle and keep them in the premier league... we are the small fish on this one... and as much as we want the lad we are working to stokes timescales...

Our officials (hardy) might also have been a little busy over the last few days, with negotiating a new sponsorhip deal n'all...

Sure he wil be a Latic by the end of the week... and wouldnt worry aboiut him going anywhere else, he is here, and i'm sure both him and stoke cant be arsed with dealing with another club at this stage.... unless sodding leeds want him, which they dont...

Al the voice of reason isn't welcome on here you know that ;-)

It's amazing how quickly the internet can alter your opinion. A few taps of my mouse wheel I couldn't wait for us to sign the lad, then I desised him for his attitude, and then for his greed, then I hated Stoke for penny-pinching and messing us around, then I decided Phillips had a decent attitude for, "one of them," then I decided it was all OK. I need to lie down for 10 minutes, and I only just got into work.

Guest oa_exile

I stand by my post below on the 23rd .............

I dont think his ability is in question , maybe the club just want a little time to see his general attitude , etc , to make sure he fits in well.

Still think that it's the short & curlies of the deal.

I stand by my post below on the 23rd .............

Still think that it's the short & curlies of the deal.

Shez just said on LW he will make a decision after the Hull match,

Also he didnt watch the masters but heard we did well :angry:

Doubt he will go to any other club, you just gotta be patient as we've got bigger matters to deal with such as trying to get our squad together for our prem season so sorting out deals for lads going away on loan are very low on our agenda. Hope he has a good season with you if he signs and I hope he plays most games as i believe hes a fantastic player with a bright future ahead of him. also we've got a few young defenders who are looking at going out on loan a fullback name Ritchie de Laet and a centre back called Ryan Shotton may be worth you guys having a look at as they just come back from a trial with bournemouth and decided they didnt want sign for them on loan.

Doubt he will go to any other club, you just gotta be patient as we've got bigger matters to deal with such as trying to get our squad together for our prem season so sorting out deals for lads going away on loan are very low on our agenda. Hope he has a good season with you if he signs and I hope he plays most games as i believe hes a fantastic player with a bright future ahead of him. also we've got a few young defenders who are looking at going out on loan a fullback name Ritchie de Laet and a centre back called Ryan Shotton may be worth you guys having a look at as they just come back from a trial with bournemouth and decided they didnt want sign for them on loan.

according to mr corney if we sign him we have to play him!!!

isnt that the reason we would want to sign him anyway.no point trying to get a left sided winger in with bags of pace on a 12 month deal if were not going to play them,you may as welljust play one of your own.

think if he does well tonight he will be offered something,this will give shez the chance to play him down the left and switch taylor over to the right,you get two good wingers with a bit of pace and a decent cross and we will walk this league.

according to mr corney if we sign him we have to play him!!!

isnt that the reason we would want to sign him anyway.no point trying to get a left sided winger in with bags of pace on a 12 month deal if were not going to play them,you may as welljust play one of your own.

think if he does well tonight he will be offered something,this will give shez the chance to play him down the left and switch taylor over to the right,you get two good wingers with a bit of pace and a decent cross and we will walk this league.

Sort of agree with that Ed, but it does hamstring Shez somewhat when it comes to team selection.

Sort of agree with that Ed, but it does hamstring Shez somewhat when it comes to team selection.

IIRC correctly we had a deal for that Roque lad where we paid his wages when he didn’t play, the Scousers paid him when he did. Unfortunately he wasn’t very good... Can’t blame Shez for wanting to be sure before committing to a deal that leaves him with the choice of losing money that he could potentially spend on a shorter term loanee in favour of spending it on a player that will both cost money and put pressure on his team selection.

IIRC correctly we had a deal for that Roque lad where we paid his wages when he didn’t play, the Scousers paid him when he did. Unfortunately he wasn’t very good... Can’t blame Shez for wanting to be sure before committing to a deal that leaves him with the choice of losing money that he could potentially spend on a shorter term loanee in favour of spending it on a player that will both cost money and put pressure on his team selection.

Sign him :angry:

IMO shez is doing exactly the right thing in waiting to take another look at Phillips tonight rather than just diving in and signing him without being absolutely certain of what he is getting.

If he does have to play him if he signs him then he wants to be absolutely certain he is going to fit into his team plans, granted he is left sided and will give the team balance.

I have only seen the LW highlights of him at Grimsby were from what I saw he looked pacey, tricky and has a decent shot on him, I was rather less impressed than some on here with him against Derby were I thought he did alright but nothing special (he was receiving undeserved rave reviews from some on here based of one reasonable not spectacular half of football).

Shez can take another look tonight and then take a view on the player and also the situation he faces if he does sign him.

I think 'he has to play' he means he must be a first team player. Stevens, Fleming, Whittaker (probably) and O'Grady (again probably) are new players who will be squad players pushing their way into the first team (like Smalley) and are not certain to start the season.

I think SC will want Shez to be convinced that he is good enough to be a first team regular like Allott, Eardley, Davies etc when the season starts.

I doubt he will have to play every week even if Shez wants to change system or he dips in form.