You'd get more than soft tissue damage from Gregan standing on your toe.

Where do I apply?

It's a blow this, but not as bad as it could have been if this lad O'Grady is as good as initial sightings suggest. I've no doubt Hughes will make his way back into the side when he is fully fit but it gives O'Grady and Davis plenty of incentive to perform and show that they should stay be the one to stay, or perhaps that they should all play.

Where do I apply?

It's a blow this, but not as bad as it could have been if this lad O'Grady is as good as initial sightings suggest. I've no doubt Hughes will make his way back into the side when he is fully fit but it gives O'Grady and Davis plenty of incentive to perform and show that they should stay be the one to stay, or perhaps that they should all play.

Exactly, Hughesy is short of fitness anyway, and i believe O'Grady & Davis will lead the line vs Millwall come Aug 9, and probably would have done anyway. Hughesy will now be eased into action from the bench as he gets back to something like full fitness.

Lewis & Deano as back-up isn't a bad bet anyway, they had a useful little cameo the other night; they always play well together anyway.

Think we'll be right by the 9th anyway, when shez has settled on his starting XI and we'll spank the soft southern (tame) Lions 19-0!!!!!! :grin:

Exactly, Hughesy is short of fitness anyway, and i believe O'Grady & Davis will lead the line vs Millwall come Aug 9, and probably would have done anyway. Hughesy will now be eased into action from the bench as he gets back to something like full fitness.

Lewis & Deano as back-up isn't a bad bet anyway, they had a useful little cameo the other night; they always play well together anyway.

Think we'll be right by the 9th anyway, when shez has settled on his starting XI and we'll spank the soft southern (tame) Lions 19-0!!!!!! :grin:

ok so hughes isnt match fit....but according to who you decide to listen too tmost of the squad isnt either.....

so he misses the first game maybe a couple more if its a bad break.....then has to start again....just how is he going to get fit if we havent got a reserves side????

he can train all he wants during the week but realistically he will just be put back in when the injury is healed,again unfit and more than likely meaning he will pick up little niggles yet again.....i have every confidence in ogrady and davies....but i think the club has shot itself in the foot big time with no reserve league this year.

The Club says it will arrange friendly games for the Reserves when necessary.

when will it be necessary then????

if you have a reserve league running concurrent with the football league,it means those players who miss out on the first team can at the least get games in the ressies and maintain a certain level of playing fitness......

so we go three games into a season and players who are not in the team are just losing match fitness all the time...the club phones 4 clubs to try and organise a game and get knocked back as they have reserve league commotments...where does that leave those players.....

if the ressie league is as normal the manager gets a chance to see who could come in and do a job should we suffer an injury,or just because a certain player is performing miracles and would enhance the first team....and the players all stay fit....as and when is no good at all......say after 10 games we get a bad run of injurys,those comming in will need at least 3 maybe 4 games to get match fit.....we end up sliding down the league as a result and morale drops,fans get on everyones back and were back to the last 2 seasons again....

i just think it is a massive gamble by the club,and in my opinion a mistake.

Unless they've been out for a long time most proper first teamers go straight back into the squad anyway. If needs be it should be easy to arrange a match with one of the 40 or so sides within an easy drive of us. The Redd Soxx could probably rustle a team up at five minutes notice any day of the week.

There'd have to be something in it for them if they were to regularly do it though. Like a certain young player they might be interested in <_<

I could almost swear we just took two off them, directly or indirectly... Fill that glass halfway up RBL! Fact is they have dozens of players acoss the age levels who we would probably love to take on, with far less of ours likely to go the other way.

if you have a reserve league running concurrent with the football league,it means those players who miss out on the first team can at the least get games in the ressies and maintain a certain level of playing fitness......

so we go three games into a season and players who are not in the team are just losing match fitness all the time...the club phones 4 clubs to try and organise a game and get knocked back as they have reserve league commotments...where does that leave those players.....

if the ressie league is as normal the manager gets a chance to see who could come in and do a job should we suffer an injury,or just because a certain player is performing miracles and would enhance the first team....and the players all stay fit....as and when is no good at all......say after 10 games we get a bad run of injurys,those comming in will need at least 3 maybe 4 games to get match fit.....we end up sliding down the league as a result and morale drops,fans get on everyones back and were back to the last 2 seasons again....

I agree with you totally, I think it's a big mistake. However I think maybe one of the reasons (the other being a sale of one of our assets soon) we have been able to srengthen the squad so much during the summer is because we have saved money by not fielding a reserve side for next season. It's kind of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other I think.

...so we go three games into a season and players who are not in the team are just losing match fitness all the time...the club phones 4 clubs to try and organise a game and get knocked back as they have reserve league commotments...

The Ckub won't ring those clubs in a reserve league. We'll play Newcastle every other week - didn't King Kev get rid of their Ressies?

..i just think it is a massive gamble by the club,and in my opinion a mistake.

I agee with you.

I could almost swear we just took two off them, directly or indirectly... Fill that glass halfway up RBL! Fact is they have dozens of players acoss the age levels who we would probably love to take on, with far less of ours likely to go the other way.

Just the cynic in me. Always comes out when they come in to things :grin:

The Club says it will arrange friendly games for the Reserves when necessary.

No sooner said than done! Following this afternoon's discussion on here, the OS announces a Reserves game next Tuesday 5th August at Ashton United (kick-off 7,45pm). :chubb:

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1355356,00.html

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I think you have some good points, but you are only looking at the negative side. I'm sure when weighing up his decision Shez looked at the good and bad points before pulling out of the league. Now if you had mentioned some good points in your argument and then still decided that it was a mistake, it would have been a more balanced argument.

Edited by jimsleftfoot