Central Midfield...

Right....

Probably on my own here... but I am getting really bemused at this assumption that Shez has only signed CM's, this is just utterly untrue!!!! For me, Maher was an essential signing, as it meant we now have 3 dedicated CM's.... Whittaker, Allott & Maher.... the bare minimum you need to be competitive...

True, we have others who can play there... but they are all utility players... the arguement that we are over subscribed just doesnt wash.. true Lee and Eards can play there - but they are better in other positions... and JP and Stephens will not see much first tema action.. if any...

... and as for the claim that Greegs and Lids can play there... dont make me sodding laugh - were you at Swindon?

People are obsessed with people who CAN play in CM, rather than people who WILL. We have 3 first team centre mids - that is it! and even both Whitaker and Allottcan play wide!

Maher is a signing too far, might be a decent player (although I've yet too see why we chased him so hard) but he wasn't needed. Allot, Whittiker, Lee (I don't care what anyone says, he's a midfielder by all accounts and should be viewed as that), Stephens and Eardley could all have covered centre midfield, with no reserve team how much game time are the likes of Stephens and Lee going to get?

Jeez people moaned when we didn't have depth in the squad and now we have they're still moaning.

We've now got a versatile squad with players who can cover a variety of positions and if we can get the left hand side sorted over the next couple of weeks then we'll get better and better!

It was a friendly today and I've been around long enough to know that the result is of no importance whatsoever. We probably had 65% of the play against one of the 2nd division promotion favourites.

Give it time...if we're still not scoring at the end of August then that's the time to worry.

Maher is a signing too far, might be a decent player (although I've yet too see why we chased him so hard) but he wasn't needed. Allot, Whittiker, Lee (I don't care what anyone says, he's a midfielder by all accounts and should be viewed as that), Stephens and Eardley could all have covered centre midfield, with no reserve team how much game time are the likes of Stephens and Lee going to get?

I will give you Lee coco, as next in line for CM (but still not his dedicated position) - however Stephens is a kid who barely played for Bury last season, he isnt in our fist team plans - was he even in the squad today??

Eardley is our first choice RB, and continues to be. No one else can properly play there, unless again you start talking about players who CAN play there... hazell, Taylor, etc...

Even with Lee, we have 4 first chice CM's - the minimum you would expect. then with others who could all play ther eif it all goes tits up again...

The reserve issue is a seperate one. We have to trust the club to find games. We shouldnt put players in the first team just as there isnt a reserve game, that is barmy!!!!

Types of midfield players...

The Passer - Maher, Allott, Lee

The Engine - Maher, Whittaker, Stephens

The Brick Wall - Allott, JPK

The Scorer - Allott, Stephens, Lee

The All Rounder - Allott, Stephens, Lee

I'd suggest something like that above...a lot of options...we've not had options like above since Dowies days! Bring it on!!!

Just sort the f***ing wings Shez!!!!!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Types of midfield players...

The Passer - Maher, Allott, Lee

The Engine - Whittaker, Stephens

The Brick Wall - Allott, JPK

The Scorer - Allott, Stephens, Lee

The All Rounder - Allott, Stephens, Lee

I'd suggest something like that above...a lot of options...we've not had options like above since Dowies days! Bring it on!!!

Just sort the f***ing wings Shez!!!!!!!

The Passer: Maher, lee

The Engine: Allott

The brick wall: Allott

The Scorer: Lee, Allott, Whittaker

The all rounder: Allott, lee, maher

The kid who will never play: Stephens

The player who will leave before the start of the season: JP

The right back: Eardley

but hey... really we will see when the season starts... all about who makes a partnership... and wouldnt be surprise to see whitaker or Lee on the left...

Edited by BigfinLatic

Eardley is our first choice RB, and continues to be. No one else can properly play there, unless again you start talking about players who CAN play there... hazell, Taylor, etc...

I think this is something we need to stress and was touched on in the chat...

Those suggesting Eards moves to the middle need remember he then needs replacing with the similar quality at RB or then you've let the quality of your defence slip. What we've gone about building is a midfield capable of not needing to pull other quality players from their positions.

The real problems for me are on the wings...I'd love to see Demar at LW and Taylor at RW with Lomax (or Hills if he signs) and Eards at FB next Sat...the only time we have had REAL balance in the whole of pre-season (from what I've seen and heard) was

vs Derby in the 2nd half. Taylor was at RW then and Lomax at LB. Not sure who was at LW...think Demar was taken off...can't quite remember. But for me, the CM positions are well filled and exactly what we've missed.

and wouldnt be surprise to see whitaker or Lee on the left...

And if that happens...then that's piss poor! Reminds me of Ricketts on LW vs Carlisle away last season. That'd be another pre-season ripped up and thrown away (ala last year when KK arrived on seasons eve etc.) if we started that! Lee has been brought in for LB or midfield, not LW...but as I've said for many a month...Shez has limitation and it's how badly he has them which will hold a very good squad back. Hopefully, he'll not continue to make the mistakes of the past 2 years...now is the time!

And if that happens...then that's piss poor! Reminds me of Ricketts on LW vs Carlisle away last season. That'd be another pre-season ripped up and thrown away (ala last year when KK arrived on seasons eve etc.) if we started that! Lee has been brought in for LB or midfield, not LW...but as I've said for many a month...Shez has limitation and it's how badly he has them which will hold a very good squad back. Hopefully, he'll not continue to make the mistakes of the past 2 years...now is the time!

Agreed on both the above posts....

However, i think we are 1 player short, as you say, which will mean our starting 11 will be different to anything we have seen so far... whether that is Lee, or Hill, probably at left back, but maybe on the left wing, I can see one of those two in the side... if itness is proved...

I just cant see Philips being here for some reason, why Hills has suddenly appeared.... however if he does come in at LW, then Hills or Lee can play at full back and the shape you speak of isnt disrupted...

I know you like Lomax... but just think knowing shez's history he will be overlooked...

Agreed on both the above posts....

However, i think we are 1 player short, as you say, which will mean our starting 11 will be different to anything we have seen so far... whether that is Lee, or Hill, probably at left back, but maybe on the left wing, I can see one of those two in the side... if itness is proved...

I just cant see Philips being here for some reason, why Hills has suddenly appeared.... however if he does come in at LW, then Hills or Lee can play at full back and the shape you speak of isnt disrupted...

I know you like Lomax... but just think knowing shez's history he will be overlooked...

Yep, I like Lomax but I can see why people are concerned that he's not left footed. But so far, he's never proven that to be a problem. Possibly is a bit when venturing forward (and as you said in chat, possibly lessens the ability to overlap). Either way though, we need balance and that will allow the midfield to work. Functioning wings give us that but our wings have been dead since we stuffed Forest 5-0 on NYD last year. That will create a team that will score goals and defend together. Otherwise, we'll be a squad of good players (good enough) but just not playing as a team.

Right....

Probably on my own here... but I am getting really bemused at this assumption that Shez has only signed CM's, this is just utterly untrue!!!! For me, Maher was an essential signing, as it meant we now have 3 dedicated CM's.... Whittaker, Allott & Maher.... the bare minimum you need to be competitive...

True, we have others who can play there... but they are all utility players... the arguement that we are over subscribed just doesnt wash.. true Lee and Eards can play there - but they are better in other positions... and JP and Stephens will not see much first tema action.. if any...

... and as for the claim that Greegs and Lids can play there... dont make me sodding laugh - were you at Swindon?

People are obsessed with people who CAN play in CM, rather than people who WILL. We have 3 first team centre mids - that is it! and even both Whitaker and Allottcan play wide!

I agree people think we have more CMs than we do, and most are players who 'can play' at CM. However, my initial point on the chat was that Shez should have made a LW his primary target after he'd signed O'Grady...the most important position to fill was a striker and then a LW. Taylor has played on the left for way, way too long now. It's unfair on him and it's not getting the most out of him for the team.

If you look at who 'can' play in CM - Allott, Maher, Whitaker, Stephens, Kalala, Liddell, Eardley, Lee, Gregan. That's nine players, of which, like you say...three are 'natural' experienced, potential first-choice CMs (although two of them in Stephens and Kalala would play there if we wanted an actual CM). The rest can fill in if we needed them.

So, how many LWs have we got? None. We've got Taylor, Lee, Whitaker and I guess Lomax, who can all play at LW, but aren't actually LWs. The point is that if Demar doesn't sign, we'll start with Taylor on the left on Saturday and for another close season...Shez hasn't sorted the LW problem, yet at the same time we're more than covered in CM. Maybe my initial comment on chat that Shez has 'collected' CMs is unfair, but it seems like we've signed three more actual CMs in Whitaker, Maher and Stephens, yet noone on the LW, and it's mighty frustrating to have still not solved that problem.

And before someone says something, I'm not having a go at Shez, I think he's done a good job over the summer on the whole...it's just infuriarating that he can't get this sorted when it's been going on for far too long.

SHEZ OUT

So, how many LWs have we got? None. We've got Taylor, Lee, Whitaker and I guess Lomax, who can all play at LW, but aren't actually LWs. The point is that if Demar doesn't sign, we'll start with Taylor on the left on Saturday and for another close season...Shez hasn't sorted the LW problem, yet at the same time we're more than covered in CM. Maybe my initial comment on chat that Shez has 'collected' CMs is unfair, but it seems like we've signed three more actual CMs in Whitaker, Maher and Stephens, yet noone on the LW, and it's mighty frustrating to have still not solved that problem.

Totally agree with all of this post Jss - as you say, it is a differnt statement to saying he has collected CM's... it is the same thing to me saying we shouldnt expect people to play CM just because they can, to saying that they could play on the left wing.... the fact is we only have 3 dedicated CM's... and to be honest, no dedicated LW....

We have a good squad, as has been repeatedly said... however its just that left side that needs to be looked at... only dedicated players in that position will give us the balance we need....

Philips could be the solution... and hills would be a great addition.... howver it aint happened yet.. suppose we should want everything to be perfect, but as fans we always want!!!

For me we need ONE THING AND ONE THING ONLY!!!! Demar Philips to sign. The rest of the jigsaw fits into place. Get him in Taylor on the right. The rest will sort itself out. Do THIS and this alone and we have got it sorted.

If Taylor is playing LW or LFB on Sat I will be seriously pissed off.

I remember reading that he had played his best games on the right wing, and he can play left back, so I doubt left wing would completely throw him.