Better get used to Andy Liddell again folks as the Shez says " He rolled back the years with his stylish attacking plays and had a blinder"!!

He was also happy with Maher,Taylor, and Phillips, which suggests a loan deal could still be on the cards.

We wern't sharp enough and everybody else should be looking over their shoulders, nobody's place is safe!!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better get used to Andy Liddell again folks as the Shez says " He rolled back the years with his stylish attacking plays and had a blinder"!!

He was also happy with Maher,Taylor, and Phillips, which suggests a loan deal could still be on the cards.

We wern't sharp enough and everybody else should be looking over their shoulders, nobody's place is safe!!!!

:shock:

:disappointed:

That is all I can say.... frikkin taylor on the left an Liddell on the right... brilliant. Theres progress.

:shock:

:disappointed:

That is all I can say.... frikkin taylor on the left an Liddell on the right... brilliant. Theres progress.

get used to it matey......if the rest of the players arent as good as these two have played recently then shez must be right......

everybody else looking over there shoulders......they set there own standards,no point moaning about it.if lidds performs every game and justifys his place in the team i really cant see what the problem is,its upto the other players to raise there games...

for what its worth i think if we do a deal for phillips,he will be on the left,and taylor on the right with maybe liddle behind the front 2

No substitute for class!!

:rant.sml:

Except talent, ability and pace...

Its the exact discussion we were having in the chat room, sometime I just dont understand what Sheridan sees, by playing liddell not only do you carry a passenger for an entire game, limit your style of play to lumping balls into the box from 40 yards as he cant run, but you also destroy the balance on the wing (as he cant cover anyone) meaning the full back cant overlap - and eardley ends up looking crap.... plus the central midfield get pulled wide to cover for him.... and as he cant move more than 5 yards for the ball, davies gets pulled out wide to try and get it... then the liddell fans whinge he is not in the box when captain slow actually get the ball trundled to his feet, he set himself for 10 minutes, and finally lumps a ball in the box...

get used to it matey......if the rest of the players arent as good as these two have played recently then shez must be right......

What was the sodding point of Sheridan signing so many players this summer, and having so many talented youngsters, to then just turn around and play one of the biggest liabilities we have, because shez is so blinkered with the fact he puts in 1 good cross every 6 months - even though he utterly destroys all the life in our team....

If liddell starts this season shez has utterly f-ing failed us as a manager - I feel that strongly about it. All this crap about giving him time, and he relies on the same old crap that has failed us for the past two seasons.... if Lids is first choice then shez is to blame for bringing in players that arent better than a woeful player.... yadda yadda yadda yeah I know he was good 3 years ago... but he should not be in a side looking for promotion.

... and playing liddell is also admitting that he still hasnt found a solution to our left sided problem, as if he had, Taylor would be playing in his rightful position on the right.

:rant.sml:

Except talent, ability and pace...

Its the exact discussion we were having in the chat room, sometime I just dont understand what Sheridan sees, by playing liddell not only do you carry a passenger for an entire game, limit your style of play to lumping balls into the box from 40 yards as he cant run, but you also destroy the balance on the wing (as he cant cover anyone) meaning the full back cant overlap - and eardley ends up looking crap.... plus the central midfield get pulled wide to cover for him.... and as he cant move more than 5 yards for the ball, davies gets pulled out wide to try and get it... then the liddell fans whinge he is not in the box when captain slow actually get the ball trundled to his feet, he set himself for 10 minutes, and finally lumps a ball in the box...

What was the sodding point of Sheridan signing so many players this summer, and having so many talented youngsters, to then just turn around and play one of the biggest liabilities we have, because shez is so blinkered with the fact he puts in 1 good cross every 6 months - even though he utterly destroys all the life in our team....

If liddell starts this season shez has utterly f-ing failed us as a manager - I feel that strongly about it. All this crap about giving him time, and he relies on the same old crap that has failed us for the past two seasons.... if Lids is first choice then shez is to blame for bringing in players that arent better than a woeful player.... yadda yadda yadda yeah I know he was good 3 years ago... but he should not be in a side looking for promotion.

... and playing liddell is also admitting that he still hasnt found a solution to our left sided problem, as if he had, Taylor would be playing in his rightful position on the right.

i understand your comments totally mate......but at the end of the day he played a blinder....and if he continues to play a blinder shez will pick him everytime,irrespective of who he has brought in.....simply because he is a talker and a good influence on the younger players.....

for what its worth,i dont think he should start....his legs have gone,he has no pace,he needs too much time,i do think he could come on for the last 10 mins and maybe do something,but thats about it.....

maybe shez is in a blind panick over his signings as he knows he has to justify bringing them in,and they have had an off day,could quite easily be just a case of that....

i think if he sticks to his word of morning and afternoon training next week he should have a good idea of his starting 11......

you know as well as i do that if he doesnt pick his new players and stubbornly sticks to the golden oldies so to speak he will be found out spectacularily,sooner rather than later.

i understand your comments totally mate......but at the end of the day he played a blinder....and if he continues to play a blinder shez will pick him everytime,irrespective of who he has brought in.....simply because he is a talker and a good influence on the younger players.....

for what its worth,i dont think he should start....his legs have gone,he has no pace,he needs too much time,i do think he could come on for the last 10 mins and maybe do something,but thats about it.....

maybe shez is in a blind panick over his signings as he knows he has to justify bringing them in,and they have had an off day,could quite easily be just a case of that....

i think if he sticks to his word of morning and afternoon training next week he should have a good idea of his starting 11......

you know as well as i do that if he doesnt pick his new players and stubbornly sticks to the golden oldies so to speak he will be found out spectacularily,sooner rather than later.

I just don't get this. Yep, they're Shez's words....so if he played a blinder then Shez, then why did we lose to Bradford...why did we create virtually sod all? And why didn't the commentary of the game I listened to even vaguely portray him as having a blinder? I think Johnny is talking up Mr Lids so he can stick his favourite old head back in...if he does, then Shez will lose a hell of a lot of respect from me. And trust me....I've done nothing but stick up for Shez over the last year or so while pointing out he has limitations that might one day cause him to come a cropper. Feeding us BS over Lids (which is all I believe it to be, to play him next Sat) won't cut it anymore. I don't want Shez to fall on his sword but unless he learns....AND SHOWS IT....those sticking by him will run out of patience next.

Edited by boundaryblue80

If liddell can repeat his performances from a couple of seasons ago then he should be first choice without a doubt. people forget the amount of assists he made and now we have a much bigger threat in the box with our strikers. stats don't lie. i pray he stays injury free.

I just don't get this. Yep, they're Shez's words....so if he played a blinder then Shez, then why did we lose to Bradford...why did we create virtually sod all? And why didn't the commentary of the game I listened to even vaguely portray him as having a blinder? I think Johnny is talking up Mr Lids so he can stick his favourite old head back in...if he does, then Shez will lose a hell of a lot of respect from me. And trust me....I've done nothing but stick up for Shez over the last year or so while pointing out he has limitations that might one day cause him to come a cropper. Feeding us BS over Lids (which is all I believe it to be, to play him next Sat) won't cut it anymore. I don't want Shez to fall on his sword but unless he learns....AND SHOWS IT....those sticking by him will run out of patience next.

the praise is also on the main website,think stu vose is a fan,lol

but yes i agree,the commentry didnt exactly over mention him did it.

like said earlier if shez thinks he is head and shoulders above the rest he will play him,blindly.......i just hope we do sign demar,play him on the left wing and taylor on the right and thats the end of it.....youth and pace above an old head anyday..yes he may have been the leagues number 1 assits 2 seasons ago,and yes he has had a bad time with injurys,but the stats were two years ago.....and for me he just cant be first choice in the first 11,otherwise its been a waste of money bringing in certain players.

WTF is going on here?

Lidds is the only player who can consistently deliver a decent cross which is backed up my his assists record the past few years. We missed him last year and it showed, having to play a whole host of central midfielders or strikers there. This year, with a full pre season, he's raring to go and I hope he starts.

E4e

ERNIE

I've got to say(sorry Alan), I'm not with the Lidds out brigade, I think he is the best ball player we have though his legs will probably let him down over 90 mins if he plays as an out an out winger.

However in the hole behind the front two or as a sub I think he'll bring a lot to the squad.

He brings more dimensions to the squad so in my opinion and (my opinion only) will be at least on the bench and will make a significant contribution to our impending promotion season.

WTF is going on here?

Lidds is the only player who can consistently deliver a decent cross which is backed up my his assists record the past few years. We missed him last year and it showed, having to play a whole host of central midfielders or strikers there. This year, with a full pre season, he's raring to go and I hope he starts.

E4e

ERNIE

John Sheridan is the gaffer - the team he picks is okay by me - if Liddell is doing the business then that is okay too.

After yesterday I think there will be some surprises next week with the starting line-up. :wink:

It seems those of us not at the game have three sources of authority to go off - John Sheridan, Stu Vose and the bloke who does the commentary. Take your pick gentlemen.

Nice one Shez, you've finally lost the plot. I've been saying all pre-season that come 3 o'clock on the 9th of August that Liddell will be starting on the right. I criticised him last season but stayed as loyal to the guy as I could BUT mark my words playing Andy Liddell in his first choice 11 on the right will see Shez out of a job by Christmas.

First Half yesterday we looked good, created a fair bit too. Ok Davies looked pretty disinterested and Allott and Maher are too similar along with Taylor again on the left but Deano had a stormer and taught CT a thing or two by constantly arriving late at the back post and could and possible should have had a hat-trick of headers. Biggest bug bear was that 1 week before the season starts we play a laughably unfit traillist in John Hills who was absolutely woeful, when surely it would have been better to give him a full 90 minutes at Ashton next week.

On to the disoraganised chaos of the second half, multitude of subs no one really knew what the feckin system was, Whitaker playing just off Davies, then Lewi. Taylor at LB AGAIN! Demar played ok then Liddell, sorry Shez what game were you watching? The guy was anonymous and everyone around me and coming out of the ground agreed. The guy is not up to wearing a starting shirt and I am absolutely livid that our clown of a manager is making the exact same mistakes as this time last year.

1. No real idea what his best team is

2. No first choice left back

3. Square pegs in round holes

4. AND all to seemingly down his downright stubborness to accomodate Liddell on the RW. Said at the time, giving Liddell another year will cost him his job. I am confident we'll do well this season but with Liddell playing on the right it takes away a large percentage of our attacking threat due to him slowing down the attack or turning back.

WTF is going on here?

E4e

ERNIE

Being a winger is all about being able to run fast apparently not providing a decent cross. And when our other players dont attack the balls that are put into the box thats Lids fault too. Basically everything that goes wrong is all down to Lids not being able to run very fast.

I love that everyone has been praising Shez for months about his new signings, the fairly decent pre-season we've had but then he says something they dont like and now he knows nothing about football and we should listen to the commentator not Shez about how well players have played

WTF is going on here?

E4e

ERNIE

Bollocks! He's had 4 assists since Jan 1st 2007!!! Still keep on trotting out how he led the assists league for 2 season ago though. The true fact is Andy Liddell has earned his worth for THREE MONTHS!!! of his whole Latics career (gaining the assists in that time to put him top of that assist league.) Nothing more.

I agree he can cross a ball....IF he gets deep enough (ie. past the edge penalty area on his wing) BUT HE NEVER DOES!!!

Wow...wish I could be hero-worshipped for 3mths of effort in over 3yrs.

Edited by boundaryblue80

4. AND all to seemingly down his downright stubborness to accomodate Liddell on the RW. Said at the time, giving Liddell another year will cost him his job. I am confident we'll do well this season but with Liddell playing on the right it takes away a large percentage of our attacking threat due to him slowing down the attack or turning back.

Absolutely couldn't agree more! I hope Lids can prove us all wrong, but he can't. He simply hasn't the legs or the will to push an oppo FB backwards. He tried it slightly towards the end of last season, but came unstuck every time. His crossing is decent from deep...but he never gets there and stifles the attack and encourages strikers to come out wide into his RW positon and leave us utterly unhinged. There are several people I know who's opinion I hold quite highly of their football knowledge....but even they come out with this Lids bollocks sometimes and it baffles me. If people can't see how badly he unhinges our attacks at times, then I really really don't understand what they're watching and just feel they're extremely blinkered. I can admit he can cross well if he gets in the right position...why can't they admit his legs have gone and he slows up our attacks allowing defences to fill in easily.

but then he says something they dont like

Lol...nice try...you'll find a post from Tuesday night about seeing the same things as last season...it hasn't started with Shez saying anything. But Shez saying something has added to the worry that NOTHING has changed in this Eardley-Lids long ball to the right wing creating strikers to come wide! All coz Lids can't keep his position and get into a dangerous position out wide. This wonder-cross of Lids is virtually non-existent...all I remember from last season is Tranmere away. Think he did 1 other...this is not good enough. Unless you're happy to go nowhere.

totally agree with BB80, if shez cant see it then i think we're fighting a losing battle.

same with Taylor at lb - he is NOT a lb end of or a lw so why play him there??!! playing people in their correct positions will help the team no end you watch. How anyone can have a squad without a natural lw (hopefully phillips) or a lb (may have one in lee, have one in black but dont play him) is beyond me.

You wouldnt put crossley in defence or stam up front would you? then why have taylor at lb/lw??!

answers on a postcard please, addressed to mr sheridan.

ktf

Edited by saddylatic

Or, maybe it's not quite that bad.

Another failed season at this level would be pretty disasterous for us actually! And one of the biggest threats of that happening is what we're talking about here! A very weak link in a side with a lot of capabilities.

Lol...nice try...you'll find a post from Tuesday night about seeing the same things as last season...it hasn't started with Shez saying anything. But Shez saying something has added to the worry that NOTHING has changed in this Eardley-Lids long ball to the right wing creating strikers to come wide! All coz Lids can't keep his position and get into a dangerous position out wide. This wonder-cross of Lids is virtually non-existent...all I remember from last season is Tranmere away. Think he did 1 other...this is not good enough. Unless you're happy to go nowhere.

Lids played his best football for us when Porter was playing and fully fit, when McDonald was playing well and making fantastic runs into the box and when Wellens was in the team. Wellens could pick Lids out when he was in space, last season we didnt really have a central midfielder playing who could pick out a pass as well as Wellens could, he was stood in acres of space screaming for the ball but no-one could get it out to him - Allott had an excellent season but he isnt that type of player. We didnt have Porter or anyone else in the box who would attack the ball, they just stood and waited for the ball to land right on their head. Any winger whether it be lids, smalley, phillips or taylor need other people to make runs for them. Of the pre-season games ive seen ive been most impressed by O'Grady he has been making some fantastic runs and he and Lids linked up very well several times during the Derby game and he attacks the ball inside the box, i think he will be a big player for us next season and will get on the end of a lot of balls whether they be from Lids, Smalley or whoever. Shez will decide the team and as someone on here said to me in a post on here during last season Shez knows more about football than anyone on here.

Lids played his best football for us when Porter was playing and fully fit, when McDonald was playing well and making fantastic runs into the box and when Wellens was in the team.

Lidds played his best football for us two years ago before he had another serious spell off with injuries. If Porter, Macca and Richie were with us this year, do you honestly, blinkers aside, believe that he would deliver the same performances as he did then?

Lidds played his best football for us two years ago before he had another serious spell off with injuries. If Porter, Macca and Richie were with us this year, do you honestly, blinkers aside, believe that he would deliver the same performances as he did then?

Yes, to get the best out of him all he needs is a striker who will make decent runs and then he will pick them out. He had no pace 2 years ago and he still can't run past his full back but thats not his game, it never has been really even before he signed for us. He's not perfect, i know that he has his bad points but then so do all our players thats why there playing in league one. I know i go on about him a lot on here but only because i just don't understand how people can't see what he brings to the team. I do rate Smalley though, he has the pace like Taylor but seems to have more intelligence on the pitch he just doesnt seem to have all that much confidence in himself. I think it will be a fight between Smalley and Lids for a starting spot on the right and neither of them will let the team down. If Shez plays Smalley instead of Lids then so be it, Smalley is a fantastic young player but what will be good about next season is no players will know that they are definately going to start in the next game, we have a pretty decent squad an if someone isn't playing all that well then we have other players who can some in and do a good job