Lidds played his best football for us two years ago before he had another serious spell off with injuries. If Porter, Macca and Richie were with us this year, do you honestly, blinkers aside, believe that he would deliver the same performances as he did then?

I believe that Liddell's assist figures would have been better recently if someone had been stood in the position a couple of yards left along the 6 yard box where Porter used to go to. He has put a lot of balls into there with no head on the end of it. End of the day, there seems to have been some hysteria about Lids in the last couple of days. At his age and having been injured he needs action more than most, Shez has given him some of that so that he is fitter as an option. Now the top man will choose who he thinks is best.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that Liddell's assist figures would have been better recently if someone had been stood in the position a couple of yards left along the 6 yard box where Porter used to go to. He has put a lot of balls into there with no head on the end of it.

You can see it, I can see it - it's not rocket science, so why doesn't it happen? :mmm:

Perhaps this week's afternoon sessions are designed to make it happen. :pray:

You can see it, I can see it - it's not rocket science, so why doesn't it happen? :mmm:

Perhaps this week's afternoon sessions are designed to make it happen. :pray:

I would have to defer to Mr Tulsehill for the observation - but it's true. You could draw a chalk line around where Porter's boots would be when there was a chance of a ball coming in. It's all very well talking about forwards being dragged wide on account of the way the wingers play, but it's been over-hyped somewhat. How many times has Shez made it clear that he wants Davis in the box looking for goals? He goes looking on the left as often as he does on the right so blaming the Lids/Eardley partnership doesn't explain that one.

I would have to defer to Mr Tulsehill for the observation - but it's true. You could draw a chalk line around where Porter's boots would be when there was a chance of a ball coming in. It's all very well talking about forwards being dragged wide on account of the way the wingers play, but it's been over-hyped somewhat. How many times has Shez made it clear that he wants Davis in the box looking for goals? He goes looking on the left as often as he does on the right so blaming the Lids/Eardley partnership doesn't explain that one.

It bloody does, Andy liddell is the cause of all things evil in the world, I have made my standpoint, and i'm going to stick with it... :wink:

Aome good debate on here, and I really hope Shez is just getting his legs a bit sharper for a cameo appearance here or there, of course only when the reserves do actually manage to arrange a game...

I just fail to believe we will ever move forward with him in the team, literally on the pitch, or in the league... and im uttelry stupified this old porter lids arguement has reared its head again... i'm fully confident that if all a footballer has to do is put the ball on one spot, then the likes of smalley, and eardley, and taylor, who offer far more, are perfectly cappable of doing this...

The reason why we have not scored goals like this over the last two years - as quite rightly said above - is not as we dont have Liddell in the team, it is because we dont have anyone who takes up that position in the box. Perhaps O'Grady is this player, and I sincerly hope someone else who offers more to our promotion hopes will be providing his bullets.

It happens on the left when Taylor cuts inside. Davies will then move over onto that wing...to give an option or chase a ball there when it's lost. The reason Taylor cuts inside is coz he aint left footed and isn't on the right because....well....ya know! :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

It happens on the left when Taylor cuts inside. Davies will then move over onto that wing...to give an option or chase a ball there when it's lost. The reason Taylor cuts inside is coz he aint left footed and isn't on the right because....well....ya know! :grin:

Much as I like Phillips, I'm still waiting to see him pass the fullback on the left-hand side.

Much as I like Phillips, I'm still waiting to see him pass the fullback on the left-hand side.

It's a fair point...in the two friendlies I've seen, he also does seem to want to cut inside and run here and run there and everywhere. Industrious, but not staying on the wing. Maybe this is why Shez hasn't sealed a loan deal yet. Maybe he's unsure on Demar.

If anyone here is qualified to advise Sheridan can they please stand up and be counted!

There is so much crap posted here(usually by the same old suspects) it beggars belief that some people here hold down 9 to 5 jobs ,when in reality they should be world class managers!

Wind your necks in suckers,sit back and enjoy the ride.

It's a fair point...in the two friendlies I've seen, he also does seem to want to cut inside and run here and run there and everywhere. Industrious, but not staying on the wing. Maybe this is why Shez hasn't sealed a loan deal yet. Maybe he's unsure on Demar.

Supposing we'd signed Hoolahan instead of him going to the Lashers - would we be bewailing the fact that he tends to head towards the goal rather than the cornerflag? We don;t have David Eyres any more, nor Ricky Holden. Do people need to get over the fact that there might not be a string of crosses coming in from the left? It's good enough for Arsene Wenger.

If anyone here is qualified to advise Sheridan can they please stand up and be counted!

There is so much crap posted here(usually by the same old suspects) it beggars belief that some people here hold down 9 to 5 jobs ,when in reality they should be world class managers!

Wind your necks in suckers,sit back and enjoy the ride.

What a valuable...pointless contribution.

Also...I do love these comments about "being able to advise" or "not even having the merest of knowledge" that Sheridan, or any other manager for that fact possesses. It's almost as though having played the game, they're instantly more knowledgeable than fans who've paid and sat and watched hundreds of matches over a number of decades. I'm not claiming to have more knowledge than Shez one way or the other about the game, but then again, why do a very high percentage of footballers never go into management? Why do lots that do, suddenly find they can't do it and then revert to being coaches in the positions they played in (ala Tony Adams.) Would a thick scouser like Joey Barton who's played the game be a good manager and be more knowledgeable on the game then most fans? I seriously, seriously doubt it!

The notion that someone has played football doesn't instantly mean they know more about football than fans who watch and study the game week in, week out. Just thought I'd point this out coz I'm sick of hearing how any fans opinion is instantly invalid coz "Shez knows more than any Latics fan could dream of!"

Edited by boundaryblue80

Supposing we'd signed Hoolahan instead of him going to the Lashers - would we be bewailing the fact that he tends to head towards the goal rather than the cornerflag? We don;t have David Eyres any more, nor Ricky Holden. Do people need to get over the fact that there might not be a string of crosses coming in from the left? It's good enough for Arsene Wenger.

If there's an end product...then no we wouldn't be wailing. Also, I'd suggest (might be wrong though :wink:) that Arsenal have better players and have other ways in which to hurt teams.

If there's an end product...then no we wouldn't be wailing. Also, I'd suggest (might be wrong though :wink:) that Arsenal have better players and have other ways in which to hurt teams.

Yes, I seem to recall both Pires and Llundberg doing well enough on the left side of midfield for them. The strange thing being that both of them would have been less well equipped for the roles (different between the two) that they played had they been left footed. Their mystery moves were running at players with the ball/pass and receive. I doubt it could ever work at our level.

Yes, I seem to recall both Pires and Llundberg doing well enough on the left side of midfield for them. The strange thing being that both of them would have been less well equipped for the roles (different between the two) that they played had they been left footed. Their mystery moves were running at players with the ball/pass and receive. I doubt it could ever work at our level.

True, that's how they play. And also, for the record, I've not so much of a problem with Taylor cutting in as there is some end product at times. As mentioned, it can cause Davies to go out left but still I don't see Taylor as, as much of a weak link with the left side (but would prefer him on the right) than I do with Lids over on the right. Main reason being coz the attacks dont slow down and see the oppo's defence fill in.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Tell me this, when did Arsene Venger get a team prmoted from the English Third Division? B)

Around the same time BFJ did? Football is football, trends come and go for teams with two wingers, two attacking players tucking in and so on. Good players playing well together will get you a lot of the way.

I've always been a supporter of Liddell and I would love it if he was still as good as he's been, but I have to admit that he isn't. On Saturday he had plenty of the ball and I was willing him to impress, but alas he didn't. That's why I was so amazed with the comments of Gordon and Shez.

In tonight's MEN Shez praises Liddell's attitude and application, compared to others in the squad, but I have my doubts about Shez's judgement od his performance on the pitch in pre-season games. Here is the story:

Take a leaf out of veteran's book

Gavin Browne

4/ 8/2008

JOHN Sheridan has challenged his players to follow Andy Liddell's example if they are serious about becoming first-team regulars.

Following Athletic's 1-0 defeat at Bradford City last weekend, Sheridan heaped praise on the 35-year-old for his displays in pre-season.

Having been a regular during his three years at Boundary Park, Liddell has found his place under threat from the likes of Deane Smalley and Chris Taylor.

Nevertheless, he has shone in pre-season and, despite only playing 45 minutes at the Coral Windows Stadium, he was Athletic's busiest player.

Sheridan said: "I've got 22 players and I can only pick 11 and five subs, so some won't be on the bench. They've got to push harder than they have to get in the team.

"They want to take a leaf out of Andy Liddell's book because he's saying 'you're going to have to play me'.

"He's an excellent professional, a very good player and I'm hoping he'll be very good for us this season.

"He's got a brilliant attitude, he comes in and trains properly; some of the other players come in and think they can turn it on but it won't happen - I see right through them.

"I say to them that they have to think about what makes the game easy because I don't think some of them do, but I'll keep telling them."

It would be great if Shez is proved right and Lidds becomes the goal assistor once again. Time will tell.

The one I am concerned about is Davies, who hasn't looked at all sharp.

With Hughes still unfit it would not surprise me to see a strike force of Smalley and O'Grady start on Saturday with Davies on the bench.

Although IMO he is now past his best Liddell would have to come into contention if Phillips is not signed - with Taylor back on the left wing again.

Edited by BP1960

Also in tonights chron:

"Lidds is 35, but he has been coming on and, with the way he plays and goes about his game, he tells me he should be in the side.

He trains properly every day and some of the others dont do that they think they can switch on and off, but I see right through them."

Sounds like people are not impressing in training. Not a big fan of Lids but if he is the stand out performer in training and the others are not putting 100% in then I think Shez is right to start the season with him. Might be a kick up the backside of some of the players who think they should be in the team and if Lids plays and is bobbins then Shez will try someone else.

Edited by ritchie82

Also in tonights chron:

"Lidds is 35, but he has been coming on and, with the way he plays and goes about his game, he tells me he should be in the side.

He trains properly every day and some of the others dont do that they think they can switch on and off, but I see right through them."

Sounds like people are not impressing in training. Not a big fan of Lids but if he is the stand out performer in training and the others are not putting 100% in then I think Shez is right to start the season with him. Might be a kick up the backside of some of the players who think they should be in the team and if Lids plays and is bobbins then Shez will try someone else.

maybe instead of telling his players to take a leaf from lidds book,being the master midfield meastro that shez was....it would be a good idea to actually show them what he wants.....

if those are the voices comming from the manager 1 week before the season starts....then it leaves a lot to be desired.......by saying people are not training properly and doing as there toldit will eventually lead to the old chestnut of shez not being able to motivate his players wont it.

not the right sort of statement to come out this week.

not the right sort of statement to come out this week.

I think it is the right thing. Put up in training or shut up when your not playing. If i read that i would be thinking 'hang on if i want to play then i need to impress in everything i do' (Davies, Maher type) or 'I might have a chance if i can give it my all' (Stevens, Smalley type).

With such a big squad some people may have the mentality to give that extra 10% all the time to make their mark, others may be resting on the fact that they have a) been signed by the gaffer B) done ok last year.

He also mentioned Lewis, Stam and Deano as players who shouldn't be thinking about being on the bench.

"I’ve told Lewis Alessandra and Deane Smalley they shouldn’t just expect Craig Davies and Chris O’Grady to be up front. I’ve told Stefan Stam he needs to be pushing to play in defence"

Good management I say, get them pushing that extra yard. I'm sure that if there was problems with attitude in training people like Wright and Shez would sort that.

He also mentioned Lewis, Stam and Deano as players who shouldn't be thinking about being on the bench.

"I’ve told Lewis Alessandra and Deane Smalley they shouldn’t just expect Craig Davies and Chris O’Grady to be up front. I’ve told Stefan Stam he needs to be pushing to play in defence"

Good management I say, get them pushing that extra yard. I'm sure that if there was problems with attitude in training people like Wright and Shez would sort that.

Shez seems to be pointing the finger at the obvious first choice strikers and defenders.

I love it how people really think they're Bill Shankly: football genius... in their heads.

We lost a pre-season game. So :censored:ing what?

I've seen us have sparkling pre-season form many times before, only for the 20 or so Pele's turn into 20 or so Phil Starbuck's by the time the real deal arrives. Pre-season means absolutely nada to me other than getting players fitness levels up to speed and mess about with formations, shape etc.

If we lose 4 out of the first 5, then and only then will I have enough reason to start doubting things. Shez in his first season got us into the play-offs. Second season we'd have surely made the playoffs but for a bit of luck with injuries. He's set his own benchmarks and he knows it, so I'd expect another play-off push as a minimum criteria this season. And I can certainly see us make that whether Liddell's on the right or not.