The one I am concerned about is Davies, who hasn't looked at all sharp.

With Hughes still unfit it would not surprise me to see a strike force of Smalley and O'Grady start on Saturday with Davies on the bench.

Although IMO he is now past his best Liddell would have to come into contention if Phillips is not signed - with Taylor back on the left wing again.

Maybe not as sharp as he could be!although i thought he looked very good against Derby.

When the serious stuff begins on saturday i think a lot of performances will be improved.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How dare wingers 'cut inside' and get about the pitch and centre forwards make runs into 'channels!/ sorry i mean 'go out on the wings!!'

I know 4 4 2 means a general shape of a team, but believe it or not these guys can get about the pitch as well you know! Priceless football management and tactical nouse from someof our members! Anyway, i'm off to play champ manager now!! :D

Guest oa_exile
I know 4 4 2 means a general shape of a team, but believe it or not these guys can get about the pitch as well you know!

If you have listened to Shez during a match , not necessarily ^_^

All the above discussion is why I do not attend pre season matches anymore. You see Latics thrashing teams and automatically think we will walk the league, or we get stuffed and it's all doom, gloom and relegation talk.

Players in pre season will not give that extra yard all the time for fear of injury and missing out of the first eleven when the season begins. It is all about fitness and experimenting with different tactics/players for different match situations.

Sheridan must know his team/formation for Saturday(barring injuries). Lets wait and see what happens v Millwall. I for one am still confident that he will get it right come a REAL match situation.

:mainstand::ktf:

I think it is the right thing. Put up in training or shut up when your not playing. If i read that i would be thinking 'hang on if i want to play then i need to impress in everything i do' (Davies, Maher type) or 'I might have a chance if i can give it my all' (Stevens, Smalley type).

With such a big squad some people may have the mentality to give that extra 10% all the time to make their mark, others may be resting on the fact that they have a) been signed by the gaffer B) done ok last year.

He also mentioned Lewis, Stam and Deano as players who shouldn't be thinking about being on the bench.

"I’ve told Lewis Alessandra and Deane Smalley they shouldn’t just expect Craig Davies and Chris O’Grady to be up front. I’ve told Stefan Stam he needs to be pushing to play in defence"

Good management I say, get them pushing that extra yard. I'm sure that if there was problems with attitude in training people like Wright and Shez would sort that.

Agree 100% Ritchie. Get the lads fired up and wanting to prove the gaffer wrong.

Not being a Liddell fan (no surprise to some of the members on here), I can see him as a useful squad member only. However, a number of comments on here would have him sitting in that "hole" behind the strikers, that means we could only play 1 out of Allott, Maher, Whittaker or Stephens to try and dominate centre midfield. A tough job methinks.

In my opinion, Liddell should be, at best, on the bench.