First Black Player for Latics

Been looking back through my Team From A Town Of Chimeys book and the first black player I came across in the start of the season team photo is Sir Roger Palmer....my memory only goes back to '88, so can any of you older heads tell me whether Roger was Latics' first black player....

Been looking back through my Team From A Town Of Chimeys book and the first black player I came across in the start of the season team photo is Sir Roger Palmer....my memory only goes back to '88, so can any of you older heads tell me whether Roger was Latics' first black player....

It's before my time but Alan Groves was before Palmer.

I can't find a record of our first black player.

Dean Hayes' book 'Oldham Athletic An A-Z' published in 1994 states:

Foreign Players.

The Latics have fielded few foreign players, though a number of foreign-born players have been on Oldham's books (Doug Anderson - Hong Kong; Bill Andrews - Kansas City, USA; George Hunter - Peshawar, India; Darren McDonough - Antwerp, Belgium.

The first foreign player to represent the club was Ryszard Kowenicki who signed for £12,000 from Poilsh side Widzew Lodz in December 1979. The second, Gunnar Halle, joined Athletic for a reported £250,000 from Lillestrom in January 1991. Gunnar's international exploits with Norway have been well documented in recent years. A brief appearance by Dutchman Orfeo Keizersweerd in the second half of Athletic's game at Liverpool in April 1993 completes the list.

One player with a foreign name was John Sleeuwenhoek, the son of a Dutch parachute instructor, but he was in fact born in Wednesford!

Obviously we have had more foreign players since the book was written.

The 'Oldham Athletic Complete Record 1899-1988' book by Garth Dykes gives the dates of the foreign-born players as:

Doug Anderson 1980-1984

Bill Andrews 1908-1909

George Hunter 1912-13

Darren McDonough 1977-86.

So it looks like Bill Andrews was the first foreign-born player, and before anyone asks - no, I didn't see him or George Hunter play! :)

It's before my time but Alan Groves was before Palmer.

I was going to say this for a laugh,Grovesy wasnt Black, Half caste,mixed race or qiuarter caste!!!!

Car Valentine was the first non white player I can remember.

Isnt calling them black racist ?

Discuss

I was brought up in the Seventies to say Coloured not to offend People of Afro Carribbean origin ,in the late eighties/early nineties your PC brigade insisted we call the same People Black as Coloured is a patronising term.

Now it seems to have gone full circle.

All my Friends of West Indian Origin dont give a flying Sh1te what people say,its just your Pc do- gooders who make an issue of these things!!!

I was brought up in the Seventies to say Coloured not to offend People of Afro Carribbean origin ,in the late eighties/early nineties your PC brigade insisted we call the same People Black as Coloured is a patronising term.

Now it seems to have gone full circle.

All my Friends of West Indian Origin dont give a flying Sh1te what people say,its just your Pc do- gooders who make an issue of these things!!!

just call them people works for me

just call them people works for me

ryzard kowenike gosh that brings back memories...wouldn,t go astray in village people,a bit of a coup when he signed for us ..as foreign players where a rarity back then...

oops am i allowed to say foreign??? or could that be deemed to be as a racist term????

DON;T WORRY BE HAPPY....

:grin::grin::grin:

DON;T WORRY BE HAPPY

:grin::grin::grin:

DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY

are you allowed to say .........well ......... anything these days? :wacko:

In them gud ol days Valentine was effectionately known as 'Chocky Valentine' and no one batted an eyelid least of all Valentine I'd wager. The world's gone madly soft in my view.

actually it was chalkie not choccy - but it is all a throw back to another era!!!!

I mean the pc brigade do create issues but we can't seriously condone some of the old style racism - remember hostile leeds or rangers throwing bananas at mark walters - there's no place for any of it within an educated society

actually it was chalkie not choccy - but it is all a throw back to another era!!!!

I mean the pc brigade do create issues but we can't seriously condone some of the old style racism - remember hostile leeds or rangers throwing bananas at mark walters - there's no place for any of it within an educated society

You are indeed correct it was Chalkie! it's my age brother

i always thought at the time as a kid,he was called chalky cause he always seemed to have "chalk" or lime from the pitch markings all over him during games,but most noticably in his hair!

i hope thats the reason anyway!

And why would you think the Chalk would stand out so much? anyway, he was a footballer for Latics....and mostly a good un too! had a really odd body action running.