Dale Stephens

When Shez picks the starting 11 against Millwall i really hope he gives Stephens a start. Personally i have been impressed in the games i have seen this lad play andi know we keep saying he his one for the future but i would give him a start ahead of Maher myself get a few competitive games under his belt.

When Shez picks the starting 11 against Millwall i really hope he gives Stephens a start. Personally i have been impressed in the games i have seen this lad play andi know we keep saying he his one for the future but i would give him a start ahead of Maher myself get a few competitive games under his belt.

I'd be surprised Tom, but he certainly does sound like a talent.

Honestly - our fans and stupid expectancy levels...

Not a chance in hell... he is a guy who has barely played for bury, we aint going to throw him in the deep end at a higher level...

To say he should play instead of Maher, a previous promotion winning captain who has played in the championship is madness....

We are in a position where we can blood young talend gradually... not throw them to the lions to get stick from over-expectant fans like we had to last season...

Honestly - our fans and stupid expectancy levels...

Not a chance in hell... he is a guy who has barely played for bury, we aint going to throw him in the deep end at a higher level...

To say he should play instead of Maher, a previous promotion winning captain who has played in the championship is madness....

We are in a position where we can blood young talend gradually... not throw them to the lions to get stick from over-expectant fans like we had to last season...

I agree on the over-expectant fans however i am also in favour of throwing players in the deep end as your point out he his young but fact we have no reserve team this season there is a chance he will be playing practice games only.

If Mather can last a full season injury free we do not know however if Gregan picks up a knock as he normally does Maher can fall back into defence and Stephens will have a few games under his belt.

I like Stephens too..been very impressed. But agree Maher must start.

Interestingly, I was asked a question today regarding who will be the Latics next (new!) Boo-Boy target...I answered Maher. I think he needs a few games behind him before we'll see his best, while many will expect him to hit the ground running and have very high expectations of him. I can see some calling him slow, old or ineffective (the usual random comments when there's some sort of failure for a player of his stature) if he starts off slow or the partnership with him and Allott doesn't quite look like it's hitting it off. And then that will become re-enforced with people then saying to stick Stephens in above him. I really, really hope this doesn't happen.

I want Dale to do the biz but he'll have to wait a while for his chance IMO.

I like Stephens too..been very impressed. But agree Maher must start.

Interestingly, I was asked a question today regarding who will be the Latics next (new!) Boo-Boy target...I answered Maher. I think he needs a few games behind him before we'll see his best, while many will expect him to hit the ground running and have very high expectations of him. I can see some calling him slow, old or ineffective (the usual random comments when there's some sort of failure for a player of his stature) if he starts off slow or the partnership with him and Allott doesn't quite look like it's hitting it off. And then that will become re-enforced with people then saying to stick Stephens in above him. I really, really hope this doesn't happen.

I want Dale to do the biz but he'll have to wait a while for his chance IMO.

I see your logic of Maher becoming the new target, but you are forgetting that he likes kicking people. We like players who kick people :naughty:

hes a young kid who will get his chance when injuries / suspensions kick in.

and he's going to be a definate one for the future...but maher+allott have to be the middle pair.

experienced and battle scarred.

on a side note,when will latics know how much they have to pay bury for him...or have i missed it?

I've got to say I like the look of Stephens. I hope he develops further and turns into a gem. Maher will start however, Stephens may step from the shadows at some point.

My thoughts exactly -we now have the luxury of being able to bring the younger players along gradually. Got to be good for the long term future

hes a young kid who will get his chance when injuries / suspensions kick in.

and he's going to be a definate one for the future...but maher+allott have to be the middle pair.

experienced and battle scarred.

on a side note,when will latics know how much they have to pay bury for him...or have i missed it?

don't think they've had the drawing out of a hat, sorry, tribunal yet

Guest oa_exile

Until then they will keep playing him down (as in prospect) and leave him on the side lines.

When Porter arrived, his tribunal wasn't done until (I think) the end of September. And a few of us were worried that if he banged in the goals then it might mean we end up paying more. Totally agree with the "drawing out of a hat" analogy!

EDIT: Was the start of September...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/4219458.stm

Edited by boundaryblue80