Where will we finish?

News of the World has us down as 5th, with Leeds champs and Leicester second. Oh, and Tranmere 12th.

Having said that it's got Rochdale down to finish 15th.

So where will we finish?

If we can avoid having key players out through injury for the most part, I'd say fifth or sixth.

Off Bradfut about 12th........................... hopefully I'd hope play offs............... so neck out 4th!

depends how we click. could be an amazin season but then again it could turn out to be aweful. u never no.

ask me again at christmas thats when you will no really. maybe abit later.

depends how we click. could be an amazin season but then again it could turn out to be aweful. u never no.

ask me again at christmas thats when you will no really. maybe abit later.

At this stage in the club's history anything below second spells trouble in the long-run, I think. It doesn't matter at all that we haven't got the strongest or most expensive squad etc etc; we have to find a way to compete with these somehow. Plenty of clubs overachieve. A club like Latics should always aim to overachieve or else there's no point.

Play-offs should never be the aim for any club with serious ideas about promotion-all the good work of an entire season can be undone in a few seconds.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

At this stage in the club's history anything below second spells trouble in the long-run, I think.

Play-offs should never be the aim for any club with serious ideas about promotion-all the good work of an entire season can be undone in a few seconds.

How about finishing as high as possible wheather that is 1st or 12th. Seriously we could have a :censored:ty season and finish 15th or we could have a good start and win this bloody league. Let's just not put marker down and see what happens

Edited by laticsmad

How about finishing as high as possible wheather that is 1st or 12th. Seriously we could have a :censored:ty season and finish 15th or we could have a good start and win this bloody league. Let's just not put marker down and see what happens

That's just another way of putting what I've said, I suppose.

8th, still have the same problems as last season.

We're lacking at centre half. Gregan's another year older and cockier, Stam has looked crap in pre season and can Reuben have another season as good as last? Will John Thompson be the saviour? I doubt it.

Your prediction?

heart and sentiment say we will finish in the top two.......then reality kicks in and playoffs seem more likely.....then the nerves get going and you think if shez hasnt learned anything from the last two seasons and still stubbornly sticks to his mates rather than giving the fans what they want.......we could be in trouble.

8th, still have the same problems as last season.

Agree very much with that sentence! Unless Shez works out why we've failed over recent years then he can change the personel all he likes...the same failings will happen. We could have the best squad in this league but without the right players playing and the right style, then it'll fail. And that means fast wings, over-lapping one another, meaning strikers stay in their positions upfront and the midfield can get forward and support. For 18mths, we've not had this and Shez hasn't gone about solving this. Getting in Demar will help...possibly Hills too. And benching a certain player on the right side will too!

A line up of the following will do well...

GK - Crossley/Fleming

RB - Eardley/Lomax

CB - Hazell

CB - Gregan/Stam - This will be decided on form...poor pre-season from Greegs but he's ahead unless he falters when the real stuff begins

LB - Hills/Lomax - We must sign Hills IMO!

RW - Taylor/Smalley

CM - Maher/Stephens/Lee/Whittaker - Playmaker/Engine

CM - Allott/JPK - Brick wall

LW - Phillips - Short for cover

CF - O'Grady/Davies - Either or with these two...both have a poor first touch and are similar types, so I wouldn't play both together

CF - Hughes/Alessandra/Smalley - 1 of these 3 will compliment well with O'Grady or Davies

At present, early doors, from what I've seen pre-season and from how Shez is talking...I don't expect to see Taylor at RW (but Lids) and I also think he'll make the mistake of playing O'Grady and Davies together. And I think all this talk from Shez about starting quickly this time around could all be blown away again by bad early season decisions. Like happened last year with KK coming in on the eve of the season and basically ripping up the pre-season. Or the year before where we ripped up pre-season by playing a midfield diamond...something we'd not practiced once that pre-season.

People say give it time and I'm all for it. But Shez has stated this time around that we MUST hit the ground running. That includes Shez too with his decisions or else playing catch up will leave us fighting for the playoffs.

At present, if Shez gets the early season wrong (in line-ups and style) then we'll finish 8th-10th. But if Shez proves he's learned and gets it right, straight from the off, I think we've the squad to get promoted or at minimum, the playoffs. Early season will be the key!

Edited by boundaryblue80

If we can avoid having key players out through injury for the most part, I'd say fifth or sixth.

difficult to say without seeing the other teams play yet but i expect leeds and leicester to get the top 2 places, which leaves us with play-offs at best.

Agree very much with that sentence! Unless Shez works out why we've failed over recent years then he can change the personel all he likes...the same failings will happen. We could have the best squad in this league but without the right players playing and the right style, then it'll fail. And that means fast wings, over-lapping one another, meaning strikers stay in their positions upfront and the midfield can get forward and support. For 18mths, we've not had this and Shez hasn't gone about solving this. Getting in Demar will help...possibly Hills too. And benching a certain player on the right side will too!

A line up of the following will do well...

GK - Crossley/Fleming

RB - Eardley/Lomax

CB - Hazell

CB - Gregan/Stam - This will be decided on form...poor pre-season from Greegs but he's ahead unless he falters when the real stuff begins

LB - Hills/Lomax - We must sign Hills IMO!

RW - Taylor/Smalley

CM - Maher/Stephens/Lee/Whittaker - Playmaker/Engine

CM - Allott/JPK - Brick wall

LW - Phillips - Short for cover

CF - O'Grady/Davies - Either or with these two...both have a poor first touch and are similar types, so I wouldn't play both together

CF - Hughes/Alessandra/Smalley - 1 of these 3 will compliment well with O'Grady or Davies

At present, early doors, from what I've seen pre-season and from how Shez is talking...I don't expect to see Taylor at RW (but Lids) and I also think he'll make the mistake of playing O'Grady and Davies together. And I think all this talk from Shez about starting quickly this time around could all be blown away again by bad early season decisions. Like happened last year with KK coming in on the eve of the season and basically ripping up the pre-season. Or the year before where we ripped up pre-season by playing a midfield diamond...something we'd not practiced once that pre-season.

People say give it time and I'm all for it. But Shez has stated this time around that we MUST hit the ground running. That includes Shez too with his decisions or else playing catch up will leave us fighting for the playoffs.

At present, if Shez gets the early season wrong (in line-ups and style) then we'll finish 8th-10th. But if Shez proves he's learned and gets it right, straight from the off, I think we've the squad to get promoted or at minimum, the playoffs. Early season will be the key!

Great post

I honestly have no idea.

Completely agree. Well, I could guestimate at somewhere in the top half, because even with the problems last season we managed it, so it stands to reason with a stronger squad we will. But whereabaouts? Christ, could be anywhere depending on our luck/injuries/confidence/pies.

6th then? With a win against DirtyLeeds at Wembley...