one word match report

before any of you start happy clappin at me, i aint a whinger and i very rarely slag individuals. Yesterday was pathetic to say the least, Shez stated it was the final piece of the jigsaw, i.e. starting line up, formation, playing style and tempo etc. then if that is the case we are in trouble and shez will be gone by christmas, Shez famous for his passing and his guile has reverted to long style hoof ball, 3 mebbe four passes across the back, then the one with most time hoofs it up front thus giving the opposition the opportunity to claim the ball as Bradford (bigger, stronger more determined) did.

The lids debate, yes he is a great crosser of a ball, but his effort to get in these positions is not there, lets face it 90% of us on here can cross a ball with time and space, Lids is a passenger at the moment, the back four have no pace and eards must ave a red hand mark on his arse cos he got it tanned yesterday on more than one occasion, positives are maher looks good on the ball, Deano is rejuvinated on the right flank, o,Grady big and strong will cause problems AND WHY THE FECK WE HAVN'T SIGNED PHILLIPS, GOD ONLY KNOWS.

anyway heres to hoof ball, if it gets us outa this division then fair play to it, alas i feel those days of kickin yerself out of the lower divisions have gone,

ROLL ON NEXT SATURDAY

Shez famous for his passing and his guile has reverted to long style hoof ball, 3 mebbe four passes across the back, then the one with most time hoofs it up front thus giving the opposition the opportunity to claim the ball as Bradford (bigger, stronger more determined) did.

When the hoof ball reached one of our players ho was in an offside position. :angry:

Not happy clapping BUT here we go again moaning without due care and attention.

I'm in the middle of losing 3 relatives to Cancer at the moment so haven't seen a ball kicked this pre season. Ernie lost his brave battle with the disease. Thats what you can call a shambles and far more than a 0-1 flipping friendly at Bratford.

Its typical latics support. Get a grip and see how we do next week before even thinking about a moan...

Some things in life are just not that important are they when put in context especially pre-season friendlies. :rant.sml:

Well said pal ... i find it amusing people get so worked up over friendlies ... you cant fully gauge how well do this season until the season starts and we get afew games under our belt. You can look at the Hull and Derby games, and take positives, and negatives from Bradford and Barrow but realistically the players arent giving 100% are they .. dont want an injury etc ... its just basically about fitness.

I'm in the middle of losing 3 relatives to Cancer at the moment so haven't seen a ball kicked this pre season. Ernie lost his brave battle with the disease. Thats what you can call a shambles and far more than a 0-1 flipping friendly at Bratford.

Its typical latics support. Get a grip and see how we do next week before even thinking about a moan...

Some things in life are just not that important are they when put in context especially pre-season friendlies. :rant.sml:

Well done for the most pointless post ever on these boards.... While I have every symphaphy for your personal issues and with Ernies family to use that in some way to down grade someones opinion on our preperations for the forth comming season is f :censored: ing laughable.....at best..... :blink:

Personaly feel we are in good shape for the coming season as long as Tarylor dosent play at left back :)

Edited by Stevie_J

Well said pal ... i find it amusing people get so worked up over friendlies ... you cant fully gauge how well do this season until the season starts and we get afew games under our belt. You can look at the Hull and Derby games, and take positives, and negatives from Bradford and Barrow but realistically the players arent giving 100% are they .. dont want an injury etc ... its just basically about fitness.

There is your answer people its a friendly one week before the season starts I would hazard a guess that the last thing any of the players would want at this moment is an injury in a game that means nothing.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Well done for the most pointless post ever on these boards.... While I have every symphaphy for your personal issues and with Ernies family to use that in some way to down grade someones opinion on our preperations for the forth comming season is f :censored: ing laughable.....at best..... :blink:

Personaly feel we are in good shape for the coming season as long as Tarylor dosent play at left back :)

I wouldn't have put it as bluntly as oafc0000 but I have to agree with his/her sentiments. With respect, why bother reading people's views on the performance at Bradford if you believe friendlies are just not that important when put in context. Let's face it nothing is that important when compared to what you're going through.

Yes I know it was only a friendly, but at times we looked liked we were just not sharp enough. These are not my words but Shez's. He went on to say

"We will be training morning and afternoon next week to put things right."

There is your answer people its a friendly one week before the season starts I would hazard a guess that the last thing any of the players would want at this moment is an injury in a game that means nothing.

The first few friendlies were about fitness. There is no point playng friendlies a week before the new season, if the players are not giving 100% and trying to avoid injury. We have enough players for every man picked to be playing his heart out in order to become first choice for a particular position.

The close season has been spent in speculation. Now we've got the chance to see the players in action, opinions are being formed. If reports had come back from Bradford saying we're looking good and really promising for the new season, I presume optimism would have soared. In truth we looked far from good, and a massive improvement is needed to get off to a good start in the League, Whether Shez's threat of extra training will do the trick remains to be seen.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I think people are sorely missing a point here fellas (and ladies)! The moan isn't about the friendlies per se...it's over seeing the exact same things that have led to failure that we've seen over very recent seasons! That's where the concern comes from. Yes, it is early days and the time to panic is not now. And nobody is. Yes, we can try and change personel, try things out etc. etc. However, the style of play is concerning when it's the same stuff that's pulling strikers from upfront out onto the RW due to the same right sided failings being there in all its glory yet again.

Also there's nothing wrong from stating the truth that...

"Shez stated it was the final piece of the jigsaw, i.e. starting line up, formation, playing style and tempo etc. then if that is the case we are in trouble and shez will be gone by christmas"

I hope this ain't the case. But the limitations Shez has, I'm worried might be continuing to rear its ugly head again. This isn't the first pre-season of a new manager...it's a 3rd pre-season and I'm worried we've assembled a good squad but what to do with it will be the biggest problem as Shez struggles to find the answer to. Hope not.

OK boys and girls lets not all go too much overboard 1 way or another.

Yes yesterday might not have been what we wanted to see 1 week before the season started. However, despite Shez's comments on the official site and in the Chron, it was clear that he was still experimenting yesterday and IMO quite rightly so.

John Hills got 45 minutes to state his case at left back. Did he do enough for Shez? Well for me the answer would be no. I don't know if Shez took him off at half time because it was planned due to his limited match time in pre-season or because he thought he wasn't upto scratch. My guess would be fitness, although I wasn't impressed with what I saw. Both Lomax and Taylor and yes probably Thomson can give us better than Hills.

We played 1 up front in the second half with first Davies then Allesandra as the lone striker, with Whittaker, Lids and Phillips supporting the front man and Maher & Allot protecting the back line. Did that work? Well going forward definately not, Davies wanders too much and young Alex has not yet got the experience to play that role IMO. Defensively it did work as Crossley was untroubled in the second half. It may well be that we play that system during the season when we are protecting leads.

The team is taking shape and Shez has had a number of games to bed everyone in and try out different systems PRIOR TO NEXT SATURDAY

The first half yesterday we were more than ok. I can't recall Crossley having a save to make and the goal came from Hills being outmuscled by his winger and not for the 1st time in the half. Smalley could easily have had a hattrick and Davies and O'Grady looked comfortable. The first 45 was certianly the most keenly 45 minutes I have seen preseason as both sides put the challenges in and I think Shez saw enough there to be satisfied that we wil be ready for next week.

Whilst disappointed with the overall performance of the 2nd half, it was always going to deteriorate after half time due to both teams numerous subs and change of systems. I think what Shez really wanted to see yesterday was the first 45 and then experiment for the second half. I would imagine he has his answers.

One thing is sure in my mind and that is that we will not see a set 4-4-2 all season as Shez adapts to the differing game plans of the opposition. He will not be able to be charged with not having a Plan B.

The Lidds debate has been exhausted. As good a player as he has been, and I have been a big supporter of his in his time as a tic, ask yourself the question "How many of the preseason games has he started." There is your answer. Shez values his experience and will use him for short spells and he will also be invaluable around the dressing room.

Off what I have seen, I don't think that Hills is the answer. However Shez may have seen more in training and give him more time, but he has shown with Alan Wright last season that if he is no better than what we already have he will not sign him. On that basis and if Philips is signed I think that next week the team is likely to be

Crossley

Eardley Hazell Greagan Lomax

Taylor Allott Maher Phillips

O'Grady Davies

If Phillips isn't signed then expect to see Taylor switch to the left and Smalley come in on the right.

Cheers,

Harry

Any chance of giving it 46 league games before summarising our season up?..Just a thought! :wink:

Can I just point out, I'm not arsed about the results pre-season. They mean nothing. It's some of the play from Eards and Lids on the right which has bothered me early on. The same style and stuff. The same Davies running wide to compensate from no width on the right up-top.

As I said, no need to panic now. But let's not forget though...Shez has identified the importance of starting early and quickly in this campaign! He's identified the past 2yrs failures being down to not being right, from the off. Also...

Corney: http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1320817,00.html

This is Shez's 3rd pre-season...3rd start to a new season...no excuses for a slow start this time. But with the same worries seen in the last 2 season still there, it's acceptable to worry that they may appear when the real stuff starts. That's all it is for me...a bit of a worry. Fingers crossed they don't appear!

Edited by boundaryblue80

OK boys and girls lets not all go too much overboard 1 way or another.............

Thanks for that Harry - always good to get your viewpoint. Like you I have been a big supporter of Lidds.

Two questions for you.

1. Do you agree with Gordon that Liddell was "outstanding, rolling back the years with his stylish attacking play"?

2. If the first half was OK, is Shez over-reacting by telling the players they looked jaded at times, he expects more from them and he's making them train morning and afternoon this week?

Thanks for that Harry - always good to get your viewpoint. Like you I have been a big supporter of Lidds.

Two questions for you.

1. Do you agree with Gordon that Liddell was "outstanding, rolling back the years with his stylish attacking play"?

2. If the first half was OK, is Shez over-reacting by telling the players they looked jaded at times, he expects more from them and he's making them train morning and afternoon this week?

Could this be one of those occasions where the management are damned for telling us what is going on? He didn't think everything was spot on and is having the players in for training, yet he doesn't know what is going on.

Two questions for you.

Afternoon Diego.

In answer to your questions

1) Yes I do agree with Gordon. I mean what I think he meant was that it was outstanding that Lids was rolling back the years in that he was fit. :grin: As for "his stylish attacking play" I have said for a while that Big G is delusional when he is commenting and I will have a word with him when I see him next week :wink:

2) Not sure about over-reacting as, IMO, one or two players, namely Hills in the 1st half and Davies and Erdley in the 2nd did look jaded. Either that or some were just treating it as a preseason friendly and "not putting it all in." There again Shez did say last week that Saturday would see us playing most of the players who would play next week for most of the match in the system we would be playing. That may have been true in the 1st half, but I doubt it could be said to apply for the second half. But there again Shez does tend to say 1 thing in the press and then do something different. I would that applied to the 2nd half on Saturday by changing personel and system. Maybe he felt he had seen enough in the first half

Below are a number of quotes from Shez's interview on the official site on Friday

"I will be playing a strong side at Bradford and its an opportunity to have a look at the system we're going to play,"

"I've been happy with the standard of opposition during pre-season - we have had some good games and Bradford will be no different."

"I've got a good idea what my starting team's going to be [for the Millwall game], but there's still places up for grabs."

"It's up to the players to impress and force their way into the line-up because there's plenty of competition."

"Obviously performances are important but it would be nice to round off with a win."

"But the work doesn't stop here; we will be working hard on the training ground next week to make sure we're ready for Millwall."

"That means more work on shape and set pieces as well as some fine-tuning ahead of the game."

So obviously (1) He had an idea of what his starting line up for Millwall was/is going to be, (2) Against Bradford, he was going to have a look at the system we are likely to play and (3) hard work for the coming week was already planned.

Does that answer your questions Mr Sideburns? :D

Not exactly encouraging words from a manager that...

a) once highlighted the importance of getting the side in training earlier, fit and right for August 9th so that previous early season failings don't appear...

b.) is happy that he now has a side fit, ready and raring to go!

7 days...

Edited by boundaryblue80

Have you ever thought of joining me in the Diplomtic Corps? :grin:

When I saw you pacing up and down across a row of seats at half time I wasn't sure if you were agitated or just trying to work out why we were not 3 up at that point. Then I saw the smile on your face as we acknowledged each other and I thought "Ah there goes Diego working out how quickly he can get his 6,000th post on OWTB" :grin:

Edited by Harry Dowds Green Shirt

When I saw you pacing up and down across a row of seats at half time I wasn't sure if you were agitated or just trying to work out why we were not 3 up at that point. Then I saw the smile on your face as we acknowledged each other and I thought "Ah there goes Diego working out how quickly he can get his 6,000th post on OWTB" :grin:

6,000th? 6,218th!

I was keeping an appointment with someone who keeps standing me up. Third time lucky next Saturday. :pray:

In tonight's MEN Shez says:

"There was no sharpness but we have a week to sort it out and we will.

"I have plenty of players to choose from and some won't even make the bench. They are facing a reality check and it is up to them to push a lot harder to get into the side.

"Some think they can turn it on when they want to, but that's not good enough and I can see right through them.

"We will be working hard morning and afternoon all week and I have told the players that nothing is cast in stone, nothing is automatic.

"But I am not too worried and I am still confident we are good enough to get our season off to a good start."

It will be very interesting to see which team plays at Ashton United tomorrow night, because I would assume he will not want to risk those he has pencilled in for Millwall.