Hills not signing/demar should be

Shez says Hills will not be signed.

However he is deep in negotiations with stoke over Demar because he wants him/demar wants to come. Deciding factor may be wages!

TBH Hills looked slow and would probably take quite a few games to get match sharp.

Edited by razza699

One of his tackles would have done Stuart Pearce proud, if only he had connected with either ball or man, but he was nowhere near either.

i hope we sign phillips....

hills was released at the end of the season wasnt he,and has been trying to fix himself up,so he is obviously slow on fitness and match practice,maybe we could of given him a pay as you play offer and try to get him fit.bit harsh saying no after 1 game....

If Phillips does arrive and Shez singing the praises of Liddell will we see Taylor at leftback for Millwall??

Have we seen Taylor right, Phillips left, Ogrady and Davies through the middle in pre-season yet? On paper that is a very exciting attacking line.

Yea i believe so....didnt we try that against Derby or Hull? WIth Lomax at Left back....

Shez says Hills will not be signed.

However he is deep in negotiations with stoke over Demar because he wants him/demar wants to come. Deciding factor may be wages!

As I've said before, he was crap at BradFORD. His error lead to there crap goal.

Edited by Xander_OAFC

TBH Hills looked slow and would probably take quite a few games to get match sharp.

I fail to see how anybody could be judged on a hastily arranged 45 minutes...the guy's obviously nowhere near match fit after missing most of last season with injuries.

Hills has got loads of experience at LB and it may have been better to let him train with us and get fit before making any decision.

Playing Keiran Lee might have been a better call.

To be fair he wouldn't have come up against a quicker player than Omar Daley all season.

I can't believe were still struggling at left back after all this time!

Whoever plays at left back in the opener must get 90minutes against Ashton tomorrow, the time for experimenting is over!!!

What if he gets injured?

That's just something you can't avoid and if it happens it happens....we've got enough players who could play there in an emergency.

The other option that nobody seems to mention is play three at the back and use wing backs...perhaps Taylor and Eardley.

That's just something you can't avoid and if it happens it happens....we've got enough players who could play there in an emergency.

It can be avoided by not taking that unnecessary risk. Play the ones who would provide the cover rather than risk those who are likely to be first choice.

Alright I've changed it, just so Frankly Mr Shankly and his PC brigade don't kick my door down! :wink:

Wouldn't have bothered if I was you....there was nothing wrong with what you had originally put. It certainly didn't warrant you being called a 'tosser', which I would consider more offensive than what you had said.

It can be avoided by not taking that unnecessary risk. Play the ones who would provide the cover rather than risk those who are likely to be first choice.

The whole point of a pre season friendly is to get players match fit and ready for the first game...there's no substitute for competitive action and I say play the starting lineup at Ashton.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game and we could lose three players during the game with Millwall ...that's football and why you need a big squad and it's what we now have isn't it?

This reserve thing really worries me...how are we going to keep players fit and interested if there are no games sorted? If we are going to organise friendlies surely we should have some sort of fixture list organised already.

I fear a disaster with the reserves this year!

Although he is probably wasted there, Phillips looked fine in the left back position in the second half against Hull...........and anybody can see Taylor's natural position is right wing, I would'nt have said he did alright against Derby when he palyed right wing for 20 mins or so, I would of said he played damn well and certaintly gave Shez something to think about.

This reserve thing really worries me...how are we going to keep players fit and interested if there are no games sorted? If we are going to organise friendlies surely we should have some sort of fixture list organised already.

I fear a disaster with the reserves this year!

Having a fixture list organised already is exactly why we pulled out of the reserve leagues. Last year, so many pre-arranged games came up when we couldn't play because of weather or whatever, or didn't have any fit players (didn't we lose loads of games cos we had to play the kids of our kids team!! [the kids of course were playing in the first team])

What Shez is saying is that all teams have need to play reserve games just like us but surely we can arrange them to suit the clubs at the time and not to simply follow a pre-arranged fixture list for a meaningless competition. And as far as competition goes, there is at least as much incentive to win against Man City or United or Rochdale or Stockport Reserves, as with any Pontins or whatever Hokey Cokey League game.

I just cannot see how people are doubting the sense behind this decision. Granted, there is a [small] risk element. But look at what happened last season. At least this way the worst that can happen is that you get few games, rather than having a meaningless backlog of games no-one cares about, even potentially negatively impacting on the first team if players are sucked into those games. At the end of the day though, unlike last season, we are a lot more free to ring round and get an ad-hoc game whenever we need it, whether it be behind closed doors or whatever. And the trend does seem to be for teams to be going this way.