Kevin Pietersen gets the Captaincy

As expected.

No surprise atall really, from what I could see he was the only candidate.

Strauss was mentioned but he's got enough on his plate concentrating on his own game without the distraction that the captaincy undoubtedly brings.

As for some people mentioning Robert Key as a possibility, well firstly you need to be in the team to be thought about as a possible candidate for the captaincy.

BBC Link

Edited by Hometownclub

As for some people mentioning Robert Key as a possibility, well firstly you need to be in the team to be thought about as a possible candidate for the captaincy.

BBC Link

I think people were mentioning Key as he was more than likley going to be selected in the next test should Collingwood not have done what he did in the last test.

I would have picked anyone but KP, if he buckles under the pressure then we are screwed. It effected Beefy's game and if KP dips then we have no current world class batsmen to back him up.

I would think he had enough on his plate being our star player, Tendulkar didn't find it easy being both.

I think people were mentioning Key as he was more than likley going to be selected in the next test should Collingwood not have done what he did in the last test.

I would have picked anyone but KP, if he buckles under the pressure then we are screwed. It effected Beefy's game and if KP dips then we have no current world class batsmen to back him up.

I would think he had enough on his plate being our star player, Tendulkar didn't find it easy being both.

Bopara has been preferred over Key in Vaughan's absence.

As for KP and the pressures of captaincy, time will tell but the selectors will never know unless they give him a try.

Nail on head right there, same as happened with Flintoff last year and to some extent Atherton.

I would have gone for Strauss as a stop gap whilst grooming a longer term captain but this would lead to problems as the stop gap would know he is keeping the seat warm as well as creating a situation whereby we could end up with 2 captains working against one another.

Not an easy choice for the selectors, I just hope that KP proves us all wrong and exceeds our expectations.

Why does it have to be the 'best' player is captain*. It should work but it doesn't. A leader of men and good enough to be in the team, now that's what is required........unfortunately I don't think such a person exists in English cricket at the moment.

*Imo Pietersen isn't as good as the hype.....not yet anyway.

I can't see any captains in the side at the moment and it all seems a bit of a farce. Good luck to Pietersen but I fear his form will suffer now.

I reckon Hoggard would make a decent captain if he could get back into the side. Get Simon Jones back in the side as well!!

Moores needs to go and all bring back Dunc!

So thats agreed then, he's failed before he's even started. <_<:huh::blink:

:lol:

Its the latics way!

Just because it is cricket doesnt mean we change our stance of downright pessimism, moderate anger, and abstract scorn of any new player/manager/captain etc.. prior to even knowing how good they are, or having any basis for our opinions...

lets just hope Pietersen does what is commonly known as "An Allott" and proves us all wrong...

Guest oa_exile
So thats agreed then, he's failed before he's even started. <_<:huh::blink:

lol :grin: this country just loves people to fall on their arses.

PIETERSEN OUT