Paint Pot Trophy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I was double booked for one of the early rounds of this competition (in its previous form) and I've never been allowed to forget my absence from the game.

For those interested enough to want to note the dates in their diary to avoid double booking, here you go:

Round 1 week commencing 1st September 2008

Round 2 week commencing 16th October 2008

Area quarter final week commencing 3rd November 2008

Area semi final week commencing 15th December 2008

Area final first leg week commencing 19th January 2009

Area final second leg week commencing 16th February 2009

Final 5th April 2009 .

Those of you who don't bother with 'meaningless' games such as friendlies, or cup-ties against non-Greedy League teams, will not be interested in the arrangements for this season's Johnstone's Paint Trophy competition.

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1358251,00.html

I'm interested in this competition as I think it is a slight disgrace that in the 10 years we've been eligible the best we've done is technically the semi-final, and a trip to Wembley always sounds good (especially if we win before the likes of Citeh and PLC) but unless we are playing Darlington or Hartlepool away (considering last years first 2 rounds were split East-West this is unlikely) and possibly Leeds or Carlisle away it is virtually impossible for me to see any of it.

I know some people like to boast that they've not missed a game home and away in god knows how long but if you are an exile that is busy until 5pm at the earliest 'working' missing games becomes a habit and the first ones that go are mid-week fixtures in slightly less meaningful competitions than some of the others. (I have more to say about this but since my mind is a little bit weird from a strange sleeping pattern combined with possibly some alcohol I think discretion is the better part of valour and so will keep my mouth shut)

Edited by rudemedic

Guest oa_exile

I would think that Diego's post is a little tongue in cheek.

As an Exile himself he know's that midweek games are difficult for most of us , getting to BP or away games for 19:45 or 20:00 can prove impossible.

Added to the fact that Mrs Exile likes me home before 22:00 :wink:

.......or else :shock:

wife_rolling_pin_95ABB372-06CC-13B3-F32F9DD93992AEC2.jpg

I would think that Diego's post is a little tongue in cheek.

As an Exile himself he know's that midweek games are difficult for most of us , getting to BP or away games for 19:45 or 20:00 can prove impossible.

Added to the fact that Mrs Exile likes me home before 22:00 :wink:

.......or else :shock:

wife_rolling_pin_95ABB372-06CC-13B3-F32F9DD93992AEC2.jpg

Thats some vibrater she has there exile

Only joking mate

Edited by fleetwood Blue

It's funny, but we've seen some interesting things happen in this competition.

BP's only(?) ever floodlight failure

Vernon's dream debut

Eyres from the halfway line

Kilkenny going past every player on the pitch, then passing it to Croft. Incredible.

A few penalty wins, and our only ever penalty defeat.

Brian Talbot getting taken out.

Darren Sheridan's most ridiculously obvious red card ever.

Rob Lee.

Ha! Yes, I remember that one. It was by Kevin Betsy wasn't it, against Accy and he actually got sent off in the incident as well I think. Good comeback too, being a goal down and snatching two quick goals. I'm sure Griffin had a blinder down the left when he came on.

I'm interested in this competition as I think it is a slight disgrace that in the 10 years we've been eligible the best we've done is technically the semi-final, and a trip to Wembley always sounds good (especially if we win before the likes of Citeh and PLC) but unless we are playing Darlington or Hartlepool away (considering last years first 2 rounds were split East-West this is unlikely) and possibly Leeds or Carlisle away it is virtually impossible for me to see any of it.

I know some people like to boast that they've not missed a game home and away in god knows how long but if you are an exile that is busy until 5pm at the earliest 'working' missing games becomes a habit and the first ones that go are mid-week fixtures in slightly less meaningful competitions than some of the others. (I have more to say about this but since my mind is a little bit weird from a strange sleeping pattern combined with possibly some alcohol I think discretion is the better part of valour and so will keep my mouth shut)

rudemedic...long shot here...did you used to go to MGS?

i'll go with the other post on this....

IMHO i believe it holds our only realistic chance of ever getting a day out to wembley..

and if i'm correct, and there is no reserves this season, then we have the squad to be able to put up a decent show of it.. you never know, this wembley may be different to the last one and we may actually WIN summat!

i'll go with the other post on this....

IMHO i believe it holds our only realistic chance of ever getting a day out to wembley..

and if i'm correct, and there is no reserves this season, then we have the squad to be able to put up a decent show of it.. you never know, this wembley may be different to the last one and we may actually WIN summat!

if we make it to the final it will also generate quite a bit of cash, the competition never did the lashers any harm

if we make it to the final it will also generate quite a bit of cash, the competition never did the lashers any harm

Have we ever made a profit from a home game in this competition?

Even the semi attracted just a few thousand at reduced prices.

I'd be quite content to get knocked out of this rubbish as soon as can be.

Would you got to wembley if we got there?

Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that the second best thing we can do is lose in the first round. And we haven't been capable of doing the first in the competition so far.

It's a cack competition and I'd rather have three points more during the season than a guaranteed win in the LDV Sherpa Vans Paint Pot Autowindscreen Trophy Cup.

Guest oa_exile
LDV Sherpa Vans Paint Pot Autowindscreen Trophy Cup.

Got me thinking that about some of the "Other" Mickey Mouse Cups , Zenith Data System ? (ZDS) & Full Members are two to forget about ^_^

Dont think we ever got past the first round of the ZDS

Got me thinking that about some of the "Other" Mickey Mouse Cups , Zenith Data System ? (ZDS) & Full Members are two to forget about ^_^

Dont think we ever got past the first round of the ZDS

Wasn't it called the Leyland/DAF Trophy at one time too? Although I think we were to high up the Leagues to play in it then.

And of course The Anglo Italian Cup, I won't forget that chilly night in Genoa for a long time!

Guest oa_exile
And of course The Anglo Italian Cup, I won't forget that chilly night in Genoa for a long time!

The Anglo Italian and the Texaco Cup (Anglo Scottish) seemed to be a bit more interesting , better teams in the Comp maybe ?

The only purpose it serves for me is possibly getting to grounds I'd not visited yet. When it's regionalised then there's only a couple which is OK, like Accy last season. So this season, I think Chester would be the only one which would really make me want to go.

Accy was good last season.

"How old are you?" - "15" :grin:

Still laughing at Melia getting his phone out and pretending to call his mum. "Hiya, Mum. I'm at the ground now. Just about to go in. I'll call you when it's over to let you know i'm safe."

:lol::lol::lol:

What people will do to get in for free. Come half time, I was glad I hadnt paid to get in. :lol:

It's funny, but we've seen some interesting things happen in this competition.

BP's only(?) ever floodlight failure

Vernon's dream debut

Eyres from the halfway line

Kilkenny going past every player on the pitch, then passing it to Croft. Incredible.

A few penalty wins, and our only ever penalty defeat.

Darren Sheridan's most ridiculously obvious red card ever.

Rob Lee.

if memory serves wasn't there a game away against Sheff United where we were 2 up after 5 minutes and lost 7-2 or was it just a nightmare that I can remember?