First match memories ?

Other memorable ones:

- Wolves away 2-3 win with a Marshall hat-trick.

- Liverpool away in 1991. Queued up overnight to get a ticket for that game - and it was soooo worth it.

My recollections of those mentioned:

Wolves away 3-2 Marshall 3 Bull 2. How we loved that one.

Liverpool away - like the above queued up all night for it. Would do the same now.

Chelsea away - worth it for Nick Henry's goal and I was in London anyway that weekend!

Ipswich at home 0-3 was a bad 'un - the writing was on the wall and to think I delayed going to U2 at Roundhay Park for that!

Going way back... I remember listening to us go 1-0 up at Luton and then getting tonked 6-1...

Against us, not for us I assume. :grin:

Ha! Not, I thought he looked decent in his first match for us vs Yeovil in that season's opener. I have to say though I left that match having had about 15 different ideas about what the formation was. I thought we were OK that day but was surpriseed at how pleased some were, especially as I was very pleased with the Ronnie signing and was happy to look for positives. Still, I'd take any sort of 2-0 against Millwall right now.

My recollections of those mentioned:

Wolves away 3-2 Marshall 3 Bull 2. How we loved that one.

Liverpool away - like the above queued up all night for it. Would do the same now.

Chelsea away - worth it for Nick Henry's goal and I was in London anyway that weekend!

Ipswich at home 0-3 was a bad 'un - the writing was on the wall and to think I delayed going to U2 at Roundhay Park for that!

Going way back... I remember listening to us go 1-0 up at Luton and then getting tonked 6-1...

Wolves. Wonderful day. Played rubbish to be honest, but Marshal scuffed and ballooned an equaliser in the first half and then hit 2 long range thunderbolts in very quick succession to equalise and then win the game. I got tea spilled down me during the celebration of the second and was still cleaning myself down when the 3rd went in and missed it.

4 more wins followed.

That is what we need this season - a good few wins at the start and it really really get the team/fans on a roll.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Shez and the Boys. Give us a Wolves / Charlton and not a Notts County / Ipswich on Saturday.

I think if my memory serves me correct,

ian Marshalls hat trick at wolves, then coming out of the ground and a guy about 70 saying dont go that way youll get battered, go round the ground, all was well.

Agree with this one. Bull 2 Marshall 3. It took me 9 hours to get back from London by coach on the Friday and it was boiling. Then drove down on the Saturday. Wolves were down to 2 stands and tried being 'nice' by doing the 'lets all have a disco' chant and jig carried on from the World Cup. We had none of it, thankfully!!! 'Where were you in Italy' they chanted. Well, I wasn't nowwhere in Italy , I shouted back in equally fluent English. Oh, I went the wrong way and had a couple of coins bounced off the car!! Never liked Wolves.

If anybody is interested (doubtful) I wrote this article for JK Latics, originally in 2001 but updated it after the summer of hell, I’ll paste it here as it was on 6/8/2003.

“”

It’s been the longest and most miserable close season ever for Latics fans and an experience that I’m sure none of us will want to go through again, ever. However although not out of intensive care yet we are still alive and kicking and the big kick off is upon us again. I’m sure that as the team take the field come ten to three on Saturday many of us will have a lump in the throat. The summer’s troubles will not be forgotten mind, merely pushed to the back of a collective mind. It’ll just be fantastic to be back at BP, watching OUR team.

So with the season upon us I thought I’d look back to opening day games that in many way sum up the highs and lows of watching Latics, and just for good measure I’ve chucked in a few other bits and bobs about the following season. Let’s face it for fans everywhere the start of the season always gives you a buzz, unfortunately by quarter to five on the first day it can sometimes feel that the season might as well be over! It never is though and come May we’ll all still be there whatever has happened.

The first season ticket I got was for the 77/78 campaign, I’d been to a number of games in 76/77, but to have a season ticket bloomin’ ‘eck I couldn’t wait. We ere away at Blackpool on the opening day and even with the best grovelling in the world could not persuade me Dad to go, had to make do with the radio as Latics escaped with a point. The following Tuesday night home game with Fulham more than made up for missing Blackpool, with Vic Halom's superb “bicycle kick” goal still sticking in the mind. Not a bad season followed, a brief flirt with the promotion pack and a splendid unbeaten run, finishing a creditable 8th.

The following season had a terrible start away at Luton, no chance of going so me and me mate went off to BP to watch the reserves duff Stockport ‘A’, (K.O. 2 PM) as the stiffs game finished on a gloriously sunny day it was announced that we were 1-0 up at half time, a ripple of, well, apathy went around the old codgers in the main stand, we danced around like loonies. However by the time we were getting off the 412 in Middy the driver kindly informed us that we lost 6-1; we didn’t believe him though, as he was a red! So how devastated were we when we got home, 6-1, 6 blinkin’1, still went an’ bought a Green ‘un ** and a Pink, just to make sure like! The rest of the season followed on from that really, 6 wins in the last 9 games saving us from a relegation fight, remember the 5-0 stuffing of Blackburn?

By 1980/81 there was some anticipation in the air 250K had been spent upgrading BP including under soil heating. The club had splashed another 150K on Paul Futcher, could we do something this time? The first game was at BP against QPR, and I don’t think the upgrading was finished because if memory serves the QPR fans were cordoned off in a corner of the Chaddy. A Kowenicki thunderbolt won us the match, although the QPR fans massed outside the Clayton at the end seemed none too pleased, even though it was a lovely sunny day, again. The rest of the season was a bit non-descript, we sold Mr. Simon Stainrod to QPR which hailed the arrival of Mr. Roger Palmer, not that popular a move at the time, I’m sure, but it worked out fine in the end didn’t it? Also this season provided us with the 1000th win in league football, against the buggers from Ewood, huraaahhhh!

You nearly always start off with that feeling of anticipation and excitement but sometimes maybe not. 1983 -84 it didn’t look promising, we’d got rid of players and brought in three; from non-league Mark Ward, errmmmm Derrick (who he?) Parker from Barnsley and Martin Buchan who was probably in many eyes well past his sell by date We were favorites to drop as per usual, but on top of that to have your first game at home against Brighton one of the favorites for a tilt at promotion, and previous seasons FA Cup Finalists (remember it as the “and Smith must score” final, only the berk didn’t) it could only be a bad start. Except true to form Latics they didn’t read the script and that non league buy Mark Ward popped up to head the ball past the Brighton keeper on another gorgeous afternoon of sunshine, we won 1-0, the rest of the season however was true to the bookies prediction, total pants, staying up by the skin of our teeth

Jumping a couple of years on we come to 1986/87, nearly a momentous one for Latics, but only nearly. The final third of the previous campaign had been good after a disaster in mid season, so hopes were high, especially as the carpet had just been laid at BP, with Ellis and Irwin arriving and Goram just back from the World Cup could we shock a few this time? A win at the Baseball Ground as it all kicked off looked good, didn’t get to Derby due to holibobs, we made sure that never happened again! So it was on to the first match on plastic, do you recall? Bank Holiday Monday, evening kick off and basically a Winter storm lashed BP, rain, gales and a pitch covered in sand gave the evening a surreal feel, but Baaaaaaarnsley were dispatched 2-0. The rest is history, we finish 3rd and don’t get promotion, like I’ve said before I really hated Keith Edwards.

The sun was back for the big kick off the following season, and that day in ’87 at the Hawthorns was a significant one, as it marked the debut of a certain Mr. Ritchie, whom if I am right the faithful took to straight away, although he couldn’t prevent a dour 0-0 draw. Latics however were suffering a bad hangover from the previous campaign and its bitter disappointment. However the turn of the year saw greatly improved performances, and there were some highlights, winning at Maine Road with a brace from Tommy Wright, and beating Leeds in the League Cup, and it was on Sportsnight. Oh nearly forgot there was a downside, Glenn blinkin’ Keeley, I’ll say no more.

Is it always sunny come the opening day? It was again in 89/90; Tommy Wright had buggered off, too good for us eh Tommy? Off to Leicester then? Considering the next few years a Latics what a bob on move that was then Mr. Wright! Mr. Adams had joined the ranks, already a firm favorite after his loan spell and on the eve of season Mr. Rick “who the bloody hell’s he then” Holden. We lost again at Ewood amongst fisticuffs with PC Plod, who would have guessed what was in store for us in the coming months. Certainly not me, indeed not many, because by the fourth home game the attendance was a quite pathetic 4940, and don’t even think it of course I was in it!

Can you remember how you felt during the build up to the 90/91 season, after the exploits of the previous season’s cup campaigns nothing short of promotion would do, but could we do it? After all the when we blobbed in the play offs several seasons earlier the subsequent season was a disaster, but for the first and if I’m honest the only time whilst watching Latics I had a feeling we’d be fine and after that day in the warm August sun at Molineux I just KNEW we’d be fine. Can’t really say much else about that time, it’s already so well documented but from the sunshine at Wolves to that momentous day at Portman Road and indeed at BP on that fateful last day, the season was the best.

How do you top that season, well you can’t and it therefore seems an appropriate place to end. Since “that” season we have had other good days on the opening day when it always seems to be a most excellent summer’s day. At Anfield, don’t think anybody cared about the result it was just a privilege to be there. Then at Stamford Bridge to watch and laugh at the Dave Beasant show, but by the time Ipswich strolled away from BP with a 0-3 win I think it’s fair to say that the end of the ride was looming on the horizon. In our fall from grace we have had some false dawns at the start of the marathon, Charlton 5-2, Huddersfield 3-0, York 3-1 and Port Vale 4-1. Let’s face it there have been some downright shockers too, in their own different ways, Notts County 1-3, Stoke 1-2, and Preston 0-1. That brings us to last season’s opener, which although ending in defeat didn’t really dampen the enthusiasm. Despite the result against Cardiff it wasn’t such a bad old season was it? On the pitch at least!

So what does this coming season hold in store? Who knows, perhaps its time to allow ourselves to feel a little bit more optimistic about the future? ## Two things are certain the first result isn’t that important, and if history repeats itself it will be a crackin’ summers day.

Keep the faith and don’t forget the sunscreen. “”

** As a footnote, yes I know it wasn’t the original Green ‘un, it was white and known as the Sport Final, I still have a few copies now. However in the paper shop I went to every Saturday night, Bush’s on Rochdale Road in Middleton, it was always still referred to as the “Green”, older blokes would buy a Pink and a Green. I guess in the same way as a wee boy me Dad would send me into the shop on a Sunday morning to ask for the Sunday Pictorial, and I’d be given its successor the Sunday Mirror, or was it People! I only add this footnote as I seriously can’t be arsed going through the whole debate of it not really being the Green with TGOBM again (or anybody else for that matter), or whatever his pseudonym on here is, that’s if he’s actually joined OWTB.

## Maybe that statement is true for 2008/09 too?

I actually hadn't thought of that DS, I only put that in the original cos I also did words to Sunscreen by Baz Lurhmann so its was a "Latics Fans Free (To Wear Suncreen)" Maybe I'll reprise it, maybe I won't !

Ernie would want us all to go to any lengths to publicise the action needed to help others to avoid what happened to him.