Reserves win 3-2

Latics reserves won 3-2 tonight against an enthusiastic Ashton United outfit with goals from Allesandra and Smalley (2).

IMO few Latics players staked a claim for a starting Saturday v Millwall, the pick being Smalley and Stephens.

Having seen Droylsden's 3 man strike force take the Ashton defence apart when scoring 4 goals a couple of weeks earlier I was surprised to see Latics play only one striker (Allesandra) in a 4-4-1-1 formation.

The 2 Ashton goals came from defensive errors, the first from slack marking at the near post and the second from bloomer by goalkeeper Josh Bell who slammed a clearance straight to an Ashton striker.

Of the squad players here is my assessment;

Fleming, showed good reflexes and looks promising.

Stam, strolled through the game, with the exception of a couple of loose passes.

Thomson, like Stam kooked comfortable but had a few lapses under pressure.

Lee, didn't look match fit and although tidy on the ball lacked physicality.

Stephens, Gerrard style, looks an excellent prospect, but would like to see him in a more attacking role.

Whitaker, played just behind Allesandra and flitted in an out of the game.

Smalley, looked sharp on the right wing and very good in the air.

Allessandra, Some good movement, but found it hard going on his own as the lone striker.

Edited by BP1960

i dont think it was josh bell mate, it was a youth team goalie.

nobody staked a big claim tonight apart from maybe Smalley.

Paul Black was outstanding at left back and should save us a pretty penny if Shez has the balls to pick him!!

Lee was creative, looked comfortable on the ball and just needs his fitness.

i dont think it was josh bell mate, it was a youth team goalie.

nobody staked a big claim tonight apart from maybe Smalley.

It was definitely Josh Bell who made the bloomer.

I thought Stephens looked an excellent prospect, but may have to bide his time.

I agree Black did well, but I doubt if he will be considered for Saturday.

Edited by BP1960

It was definitely Josh Bell who made the bloomer.

I thought Stephens looked an excellent prospect, but may have to bide his time.

I agree Black did well, but I doubt if he will be considered form Saturday.

yeah deffo Bell, thought Deano had done enough thru pre seasontbh, but the fact he played tonite looks like a lidell/taylor combo on the flanks saturday, unless phillips signs then it will be lidell/phillips with taylor full back...Fleming as looked ok too

yeah deffo Bell, thought Deano had done enough thru pre seasontbh, but the fact he played tonite looks like a lidell/taylor combo on the flanks saturday, unless phillips signs then it will be lidell/phillips with taylor full back...Fleming as looked ok too

Agree with you about Smalley, think he is looking good for a starting place in the first team. Cant see Fleming letting many in this season, from what I have seen he looks solid and Norman is going to have to put in good performances each week to keep his place. Like the look of Stephens. He played well and looks good on the ball. Agree with BP1960 about him in an attacking role. Bring on Saturday!

More or less agree with BP1960 on tonights game; but thought special mention should go to Thompson. I thought he was very commanding & played pretty well actually. He clearly wasn't fit when he was in the 1st X! last season; hence the fact that alot of judged him to be sh1te - last night he looked fit, fired up and i don't remember him loosing a header vs a pretty physical striker. Even though they scored, neither him or stam were really troubled.

Of the rest, Lee looks composed on the ball, but as has been said needs to bulk out a tad as he was brushed off the ball a fair bit.

I was impressed by Black in the first half at LB; he looks a prospect. Not so much my Dawson who replaced him at half time.

Young Rowney (or Rolley) at RB looks equally a prospect; pacy & bright - very good first time cross on him too.

Stephens played ok, looks like with work from Dux/Shez & Tommy he'll be a right player - but he did overdo it at times for me and his final ball choice needs work IMO too, BUT - he does look like we've a potential gem on our hands if they manage to polish it right.

Deano played well on the right, scored a cracking header charging in a the back post & out jumping the full-back, ran well & was a threat - 2 goals from RW shows that.

Wasn't too impressed with Whittaker - he showed a few glipses & neat touches; one run with the ball in the 1st half in particular, but on the hole the game passed him by i felt.

Flemming looks like Norm will have a fight on his hands - vocal, strong & steady; his kicking is solid too. Not so Josh Bell

who looks a million miles away from a 1st team place!!

For Ashton, i'd have a few more watches of the thier #7 on the right wing - he had a really good game & deserved his goal. Worthy of a second look for me.

thats my take of last night for what its worth

Considering he has just turned 20 years of age and was up against experienced professionals like Stam and Thomson, I thought the Ashton United centre forward Ben Deegan looked quite a handful.

Maybe one to keep an eye on.

Considering he has just turned 20 years of age and was up against experienced professionals like Stam and Thomson, I thought the Ashton United centre forward Ben Deegan looked quite a handful.

Maybe one to keep an eye on.

Thought the left winger had a decent game too. Although rowney gave as good as he got, he definitely proved more than a handful. Felt sorry for Deagan as he was plowing a lone furrow, would've liked to have seen him as part of a pairing. Possibly worth a look, tall, mopbile, decent in the air and only 20.

Thought the left winger had a decent game too. Although rowney gave as good as he got, he definitely proved more than a handful. Felt sorry for Deagan as he was plowing a lone furrow, would've liked to have seen him as part of a pairing. Possibly worth a look, tall, mopbile, decent in the air and only 20.

The Ashton left winger Iain Howard is also only 20, another to keep an eye on.

The Ashton left winger Iain Howard is also only 20, another to keep an eye on.

Was that the shaved headed little guy?? all he did was moan about being "fouled" all game - nought special as far as i'm concerned.

The right winger though, the #7 - as i said earlier - he impressed me - think his nickname was "Knocker", not sure of his actual name as i've thrown my teamsheet. Not sure of his age either, he looked a bit older than early 20's which i guess may stop some looking at him, but some 'mature' players from non-league do still break through....??

Guest oa_exile
Was that the shaved headed little guy?? all he did was moan about being "fouled" all game - nought special as far as i'm concerned.

The right winger though, the #7 - as i said earlier - he impressed me - think his nickname was "Knocker", not sure of his actual name as i've thrown my teamsheet. Not sure of his age either, he looked a bit older than early 20's which i guess may stop some looking at him, but some 'mature' players from non-league do still break through....??

Can you point "Knocker" out ? >>No 7<<

Can you point "Knocker" out ? >>No 7<<

Sure can, good find that website; better player profiles than ours!!

it was Matty O'Neill;

http://www.ashtonutd.com/mattyoneill.htm

turns out he's 24, and was an apprentice @ Burnley and spent time at Accy Stanley - still say he's worth another look for me, thought he had a good game!

Edited by slystallone