MinD Your Languagr!

Sorry for the delay in response but just been to put my tin hat on , as i said before I thought i might get some stick on this. I agree with a lot of what you say, the naughtiness and the atmosphere and the fact that people do tone it down - usually if I ask them to they do. I might be asking a lot here but why do we need to eff and jeff and call for people to die or whatever? I do think we should accomodate children, I also don't think football grounds should be an adult environment as mentioned in the reponse above, we must encourage kids (otherwise Smalley and Eardley would never be allowed in the team). I've let off steam at the footy for years now so I agree with you on this but do we need to be abusive?(please refer to the above where i admit that I have been abusive in the past :wink: )

I don't think me or the club want people who swear not to come, just that it might be a nicer and more welcoming environment if they didn't - and here I''m talking more about about abusive songs and chanting rather than the occasional' FFS Eardley your mates in the other stand now' Also i'm not saying the kids will be abused, just that they might benefit from not hearing a load of c**p sung every week. Also slighltly taken out of context I know but 'If I see a child I will cut it down' I know she's only 8 but she 's a big lassie! KTF

On the surface what you talk about sounds all nice and fine. Like you said, you wouldn’t behave like this in a restaurant or on a train would you.

But the reality is this is not a restaurant and its not a train. Its the football. Football is about passion, rivalry, emotions, ecstasy, disappointment, anger, dejection, enjoyment.....

Yeah, we could all tone it down, we could all act like gentlemen and cut out the hatred between teams. But what are you left with....not much more than a game of backgammon to be frank. The things you wish to restrict are in fact the very things that make a day out at the football what it is. Take it away and ruin the game further....

What the club / league and fans like you want is a MLS atmosphere. I’ve actually been to a MLS game live at the stadium. Its like watching the masters... plus allot of screaming girls.... In others words....:censored:e...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the surface what you talk about sounds all nice and fine. Like you said, you wouldn’t behave like this in a restaurant or on a train would you.

But the reality is this is not a restaurant and its not a train. Its the football. Football is about passion, rivalry, emotions, ecstasy, disappointment, anger, dejection, enjoyment.....

Yeah, we could all tone it down, we could all act like gentlemen and cut out the hatred between teams. But what are you left with....not much more than a game of backgammon to be frank. The things you wish to restrict are in fact the very things that make a day out at the football what it is. Take it away and ruin the game further....

What the club / league and fans like you want is a MLS atmosphere. I’ve actually been to a MLS game live at the stadium. Its like watching the masters... plus allot of screaming girls.... In others words....:censored:e...

Its the football. Football is about passion, rivalry, emotions, ecstasy, disappointment, anger, dejection, enjoyment.....

Really couldn't agree with you more, no point in going otherwise! But why do we have to sing I'm a bastard etc I just think it's not necessary, I don't want it anaesthetised(?) and my lass can sing ee aye ee aye ee aye o with the best of them but why can't we behave?

Sorry if I've annnoyed folk, I'll stick to less controversial topics tomorrow like WTF is Taylor doing at left wing.

So what do we all agree upon? There should be a defined, "family area," where people can take their kiddies and they have a right to complain if there is language nearby - and surely this should be well known in advance of people taking their seats there. Other than that, it's part of the learning curve for said kiddies.

Its the football. Football is about passion, rivalry, emotions, ecstasy, disappointment, anger, dejection, enjoyment.....

Really couldn't agree with you more, no point in going otherwise! But why do we have to sing I'm a bastard etc I just think it's not necessary, I don't want it anaesthetised(?) and my lass can sing ee aye ee aye ee aye o with the best of them but why can't we behave?

Sorry if I've annnoyed folk, I'll stick to less controversial topics tomorrow like WTF is Taylor doing at left wing.

Your not annoying me...you just have a different opinion...

You ask why cant we all just behaved. I dont want to behave. Thats why....:)

So what do we all agree upon? There should be a defined, "family area," where people can take their kiddies and they have a right to complain if there is language nearby - and surely this should be well known in advance of people taking their seats there. Other than that, it's part of the learning curve for said kiddies.

Its not rocket science is it but it seems to have escaped Alan Hardy....:(

yep lots of sense in this but I think most people do respect this apart from the occasional one or two, The main oint i'm making which is my 'high horse' one and the one I'm getting all the flak for is why do people have to be abusive nd why do people misbehave?

I know I'm a pain and am obviously too old now to be allowed to go :disappointed: but me and the girl ( and the missus) will sneak in on Saturday and you can all swear like f**k as long as I'm not near that bl***ding drum!

KTF chaps and thanks for the lively debate. Just going to lick my wounds.

No harm in putting an alternative view across. I mean, some people think I'm a bigot, but they don't realise that some of my best friends are Yorkshiremen.

There's no taking away that part of the pleasure of winning at football is that it isn't just that you are winning, it's that the other lot are losing. I was on record as finding it appalling that our chavs thought it big to run up and mock the Cheltenham fans, but abusing Dirty Leeds fans, or Trannies, they should get a discount if they don't get stick, they've turned up expecting nothing less. And whatever the buzz of a home game with the family, I bet it's the thrill of an away game knowing it's not quite as easy as it is at home that's made many a lifelong fan. You lose that if you try to take the edge off the game.

This topic was always going to provoke some interesting responses. Are you suggesting I don't take my 8 year old daughter to games? if so how do we build our fanbase for the future. She went to several away games last year as well where the language is often worse. Again, should I not take her or should grown men ( the usual offenders) be able to control their drink intake and their mouths? Look forward to your response.(edit: not just aimed at you KH but others who have posted on this topic)

On a more positive point we went to pickup her season ticket today and she was given a Boundary Blues scarf (very nice) and free. Yet another example of the club doing well. BB membership is £50 for a season ticket the scarf and 2 brilliant parties. But then again maybe they should just tell her to F off?

I've been taking my lad to Latics since he was 7 - he sits next to me and as been through some of my most enraged anti ref rants (yes some including colourful words) - he just smiles. He doesnt swear himself, knows it is wrong and knows I dont swear anywherre but the footy - dont see a problem with letting emotions go at matches - I am pretty sure they hear more colourful language in the playgrounds!

By the way anyone do babysitting? Need someone to watch over me lad when I get cobbed out every week!

Funny you should say that. No I'm not volunteeering, but we used to have a Scotsman who was often seen at away games with his young son. This guy swore enough to make Billy Connolly blush, and he often got his collar felt, leaving the kid crying in the crowd, for the nearest woman to take care of.

He was in Genoa (without his son) and when the Latics fans started to chant In-ger-land, he wasn't having that so he decided to take on the lot single-handed, leading to hilarious scenes. He also had some firecrackers which he kept setting off. Before flying home, an airport official and Alan Hardy questioned him at length about whether he had any more fire crackers, possibly hidden where a Scotsman puts things when not wearing his sporran. He was more of a nuisance to the Latics fans and the Club than any drum!

I like to think the Football League's new 'Enjoy the Match' campaign is in memory of our wee Scottish fan.

Funny you should say that. No I'm not volunteeering, but we used to have a Scotsman who was often seen at away games with his young son. This guy swore enough to make Billy Connolly blush, and he often got his collar felt, leaving the kid crying in the crowd, for the nearest woman to take care of.

He was in Genoa (without his son) and when the Latics fans started to chant In-ger-land, he wasn't having that so he decided to take on the lot single-handed, leading to hilarious scenes. He also had some firecrackers which he kept setting off. Before flying home, an airport official and Alan Hardy questioned him at length about whether he had any more fire crackers, possibly hidden where a Scotsman puts things when not wearing his sporran. He was more of a nuisance to the Latics fans and the Club than any drum!

I like to think the Football League's new 'Enjoy the Match' campaign is in memory of our wee Scottish fan.

Yeah I remember him and that despite copious amounts of Elephant Beer in the "Breetish Purb."

I also remember the look of disbelief of the Carabinari when they saw all those Latics fans scuffling with each other in an empty stadium!

This season's song sheet.........

The referee is a wally!

Wally, wally, wally!

Its nice to know you're here, it's nice to know you're here............Go away promptly!

Sheep, Sheep, Sheep fiddlers!

Who's the child born out of wedlock in the black

'til we play bloomin Rovers.

masturbating, masturbating, masturbating.......Wanderers

What the flippin heck was that? What the flippin heck was that?

You're not very good and you know you are

We're going up as jolly well Champions.......

He's here, he's there he's pretty much every where.............

Mark Allott whoa, he used to be not very bright, not he's alright...

Who ate all the pies..................you clinically obese person, you clinically obese person......

Feel free to add anymore

Its funny that it doesnt matter when roony is screaming at the reff saying your a :censored:, they want to start at the top not with the fans. And 1 thing i was told by my dad when i first started watching footy what happens at the footy stays at the footy.

Sorry Prozac calling someone Obese is not allowed you have to call them overweight :grin:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1514417.ece

Actually I'm fairly certain that's not true as medically, obese and overweight are two different things and its all related to BMI which is based on height and weight (gets buggered if your bodybuilder type).

Swearing and moaning are for me a little bit of what makes football so great. When I rant and rave (something I do often) I don't intend to swear but it happens. I would watch my language a lot more if I was near someone with children who are younger than 13 and if I'm swearing too much I would apologise for any offense I may have caused. This has not happened yet (probably becuase I don't sit near anyone with kids that young). However a couple of years ago I was in the Lookers paddock near the Chaddy (didn't have a season ticket that year so paid in) and there were about 3 or 4 lads sat near me who had probably been drinking (despite the fact they clearly looked underaged or dubious) and their language was becoming more colourful. I didn't mind their colourful language but I could see the old lady with her grandkids sat near me was getting a bit upset and this was increasing. I politely reminded them that they were in a family stand and that maybe they could mind their language and they looked at me like I should eff off and carried on. I turned to the old lady and said sorry but I tried and she gave me a half smile that said 'I know you did son, thank you.'

So although colourful language is something I think makes football better this shouldn't make football significantly worse for someone else. If you are in a designated family area if someone asks you to tone down the language you should. However, not everywhere in the ground should be a family area and if you think you might be offended (or your kids won't like it) you should try and go into any family areas whereever possible and if you can't/won't you should try and cut those adults around you a bit more slack for their colourful language. There are worse things at football that could be cut down on but maybe this is because those that have made this decision haven't watched a football match with proper fans in ages and so have picked a slightly easier target. But don't forget that swearing is technically against the law and is certainly not recommended to do within ear shot of a copper.

I was going top Latics when I was 5 years old with my old man who swore and behaved differently than he did the rest of the week, You realise at a very early age that this is socially acceptable and isn't through the course of the rest of the week - I am not in control of my language at the football so therefore cannot take any responsibility for anyone who may be offended at my lack of restraint......

apologies in advance

On a more positive point we went to pickup her season ticket today and she was given a Boundary Blues scarf (very nice) and free. Yet another example of the club doing well. BB membership is £50 for a season ticket the scarf and 2 brilliant parties. But then again maybe they should just tell her to F off?

Thanks for the mention!!! We always try to do our best for the younger supporters and provide a membership gift that is unique to Boundary Blues, I'm glad she likes it and thanks for the feedback :-)