phillips wont be here by saturday

wages and work permitt, it states that athletic are not rushing it through- well thats good i would be pushing every button i could to rush it through

beats me how you can take the lad on trial for all the preseason games,he obviously wants to come here and shez obviously wants him....yet dont pull out all the stops....bulloks is that.

Guest oa_exile
It's more likely to be "He's keen to come, but not quite so keen to take a 70% pay cut to do so, especially with another 2 years left on his contract at Stoke"

These things should all be sorted before he comes on trial or at the very least during , all the bull:censored: and red tape just annoying !

I'd like to say i'm surprised, but i'm not... i'd also think this has more to do with Stoke, than latics' eagerness to do the deal...

Its intersting to think that after all the transfer ativity, we will more thna likely only have two new faces in the starting line-ip on saturday, O'Grady and Maher... and a decidedly old one on the right wing - Liddell. Theres progres.... and obviously still no left side...

On to kit news!

ATHLETIC are in a race against time to have their kit ready for the start of the season.

The recent sponsorship deal with JD Sports means a new strip is being manufactured in China at very short notice – it normally takes six weeks.

Chief executive Alan Hardy said: “If the kit isn’t ready for Saturday, it will only be a short delay.â€

:lol:

The sweat-shops will be working over-time!!! "Damn you - stich that lovely flou-yellow dishcloth!"

:whip:

Edited by BigfinLatic

Read the article again. It states:

Athletic admit they are highly unlikely to rush everything through before Millwall come to Boundary Park on Saturday for the start of the new campaign.

But they remain keen to finalise a deal as the pacy Phillips (24) – still with two years to run on his contract at Stoke – has performed well in pre-season.

And more importantly:

CHAIRMAN Simon Blitz admits he will be disappointed if Athletic don’t achieve a top-six finish this season.

The credit crunch may be causing problems off the pitch – Athletic will kick-off in a three-sided stadium – but Mr Blitz says there is good cause for optimism ahead of the 2008/09 campaign.

The club’s owners, in cahoots with manager John Sheridan, have added considerable numbers to the playing staff, with seven new faces brought to Boundary Park.

Only two major earners have gone, yet Mr Blitz revealed exclusively that Athletic had managed to keep their finances strictly in check.

He explained: “The budget will end up similar to last year, even though the amount of players has increased quite a lot.

“I’m sure people understand that it’s hard to keep spending more and more money, so basically we’ve been wheeling and dealing.

“Since the end of last season, Les Pogliacomi (who quit English football in February) has come off the pay roll and Gary McDonald has signed for Aberdeen.

“That’s only two significant wages, but we’ve also been able to cut one or two others without losing the people concerned.

“We’ve managed to free up some funds, and from there we’ve worked on bringing in players who would improve the squad without breaking the bank.

“I think we’ve been successful. There are lots of players here for John (Sheridan) to work with – it’s the best squad in my time at the club.

“We’ve got experience, we’ve got good kids, it’s a nice combination and we are full steam ahead.

“We’ve built a better squad for the same money and, as owners, we are 100 per cent determined for the club to go up this season.

“Promotion has always been the aim, which is something we said from day one, and we also said we hoped to go up within five years – well, this is our fifth season.

“With the squad we’ve put together, I personally would be disappointed with anything outside the top six.

“That doesn’t mean there’s pressure on the manager. The only pressure on John comes from himself, not us.

“He has done a good job in his first two seasons, especially last year when we probably would have reached the play-offs if everyone had been available.”

While Athletic can’t afford to reject huge offers for their players, they have turned down a number of bids during the summer.

They have also been busy demolishing the Clayton Arms and Broadway Stand, clearing the way for new facilities.

At the moment, due to the slump in land and property values, they can go no further – parts of the site must be sold to developers in order to finance the stand.

Mr Blitz, however, insisted he and his co-owners, Simon Corney and Danny Gazal, were not concerned by the hold-up.

He said: “It’s not ideal that we can’t go ahead with the stand, but sooner or later we’ll definitely have the funds in place.

“The only way of progressing at the moment would be to sell the residential land at a ridiculous knock-down price, which wouldn’t make any sense.

“Planning permission came a year too late, but we’ve got it now – and when it comes to real estate values, what goes down will always come back up.

“It goes in cycles and I’m not worried because I can’t control the credit crunch.

“We’ll bide our time, but the stadium will get built.”

dont know what shez and the club are playin at!! hes beeen with us for 3 weeks and your tellin me that its taken 3 weeks for sheridan to realise that he's good enough and that he would like him at the club? if i were manager id've been asking stoke about doing a deal on his wages within the first week of him coming on trial, then as soon as ive made a decision on signing him tell corney etc to sort out a work permit, not 5 days before the season starts!!!

sometimes i wonder if people at our club have any brains at all.....

Edited by saddylatic

dont know what shez and the club are playin at!! hes beeen with us for 3 weeks and your tellin me that its taken 3 weeks for sheridan to realise that he's good enough and that he would like him at the club? if i were manager id've been asking stoke about doind a deal on his wages within the first week of him coming on trial, then as soon as ive made a decision on signing him tell corney etc to sort out a work permit, not 5 days before the season starts!!!

sometimes i wonder if people at our club have any brains at all.....

Will people pay attention to what has been said!

It was quite clearly stated when he signed, and even after his first appearance, that none of the stoke officials were available to discuss the transfer as they were on tour abroad, and very busy before the new season...

Its not as if we werent bloody asking, unfortunately it is very hard to get an answer when no-one is home.... not exactly top of Stoke's priorities is it?

It would be slightly cleare rif it read

Athletic admit they are highly unlikely to succeed in rushing everything through before Millwall come to Boundary Park on Saturday for the start of the new campaign.

But they remain keen to finalise a deal as the pacy Phillips (24) – still with two years to run on his contract at Stoke – has performed well in pre-season.

It doesn't say they aren't trying to.

Will people pay attention to what has been said!

It was quite clearly stated when he signed, and even after his first appearance, that none of the stoke officials were available to discuss the transfer as they were on tour abroad, and very busy before the new season...

Its not as if we werent bloody asking, unfortunately it is very hard to get an answer when no-one is home.... not exactly top of Stoke's priorities is it?

Spoke to Alan Hardy at Ashton last night. He confirmed that the delay was at Stoke. If and when Stoke pulls its finger out, the work permit requirements have to be dealt with on a different basis to when Phillips got a permit at Stoke. Not saying we wouldn't get a work permit, but the procedure is more complicated.

It's more likely to be "He's keen to come, but not quite so keen to take a 70% pay cut to do so, especially with another 2 years left on his contract at Stoke"

It's not a transfer as he's still under contract so he won't be taking any cut in wages...probably hinges on what percentage of his salary we are willing to pay!

Like what's been said on here the delay is almost certainly due to work permit and admin at Stoke, however sounds like it will happen one way or another.